Register now to get rid of these ads!

John Milner's Dragster ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zack Methvin, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Because I can

Because I can

45113_1172253322803_6439648_n.jpg Jimmy Calhoun car (repainted red), I got it from the owners of the HB car, and they wound up running my old Galli Bros car and is now the tribute Blood, Sweat and Nitro TFD

12568_1050962450607_1179929_n.jpg me driving the Galli Bros A/FD car at Fremont, now a big bucks tribute car "BS&N"

388655_1769212086399_1227619904_n.jpg Insanity driven by Ritter (was in the movie "Hot Rod" in several pit scenes and doing a wheelstand off the line)

I owned the Jimmy Calhoun car for a short while, I got it on a partial trade for my 200" wb Jim Davis Built ex-Hans Kuesel, ex-Galli Brothers FED, and I eventually traded the JC car for Ray and Shirley Strausser's "Insanity" AA/FC . . . the JC car went to Walnut Creek, and I don't know what happened to it after that, the new owner went jet car racing with his wife, running a two car team that eventually burned up in a fire.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. Flamed48

Flamed48

Calkins that'd be awesome to see a tribute car made cause the only car to get copied was the Milner coupe

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. RoadRat62

RoadRat62

Hi....new member here, but I saw this thread in a Google search of a friend of mine, Dave "The Fremont Flash" Yount, a notable California drag racer in the 60's and 70's, and owner of the Milner slingshot at the time it was used in the movie.

Dave eventually ended up here in Arkansas......continued drag racing and running a shop doing engine work and building his own race cars and chassis' to complete cars for other racers.

Sadly, Dave passed away a couple of weeks ago. Maybe someone who knew or raced with Dave back in his Fremont days might be able to help.

4. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I seem to remember the chassis weren't this long in the wheelbase in 64. These look more like 67 or later to me.

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Roy used to have a Champion Speedshop rail sitting alongside his So. San Francisco shop. The clutch belcrank on my deuce was based on the one in that rail.

6. she's been found .. alive and all in tact ----coming up for sale ....

7. Any more details? How bout some pictures?

Dustin

8. Story and pics will be in upcoming Cruisin News as well as the price
    ---sit tight and put your helmet on

Calkins and jadegrenade 51 like this.
  9. Paninski

Paninski
    from Sylmar, CA

Dave Yount never owned the Milner dragster. The dragster was picked up out of a barn on Canyon Country, CA and taken directly to Dave Uyehara's shop to get it ready for filming.

10. It's been two years and I'm still sitting tight.

Tim and Johnboy34 like this.
  11. carshopowner

carshopowner

I agree, any updates?

12. Boont

Boont

Rick Figari has it.. He's in the process of restoring it back to the way it was in the movie..I guess the car was raced a lot after the movie... More info on Facebook/American-Nitro

13. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Crap! It must be nice to own almost ever piece of AG car history as he does or at least the most popular pieces!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

15. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

2 best shots of the whole movie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Div1Racer

Div1Racer
    from Virginia

Any updates on the Milner rail restoration?
    Thanks, Div1Racer

Just Gary, chryslerfan55 and Calkins like this.
  17. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

I have yet to hear of anything going on with it.

18. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Ok guys. So here's the deal on the dragster. After what seems like a lifetime of "long distance" searching from my home in Texas, the original car has yes been dismantled/parted out over the years. However, some of the parts were saved. Rick Figari has had Dave Uyehara build him a REPLICA of the movie car. Rick was actually able to get some of the pieces of the original car as far away as England (yes, I know, ENGLAND?), Dave used those pieces on the replica car so it will have some originality to it I guess. It's crazy, I've probably been searching for this car longer than Rick or anyone else I know of, my resources come from as close to the "horses mouth" as you can get. Having this new info will close out my search for the original car as there's no longer a reason to believe the original car still exists based on the evidence I now have. I must say it was fun over the many years of searching even though I came up empty. At this point I will more than likely build a replica as well since that's the only option I have.

19. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

As one journey ends, a new one begins

20. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Yes sir, it sure does. I had big hopes of somehow finding the original car bu such is life.

21. Is John Milner still alive?

22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

He was killed by a drunk driver !

23. Seriously? That's so sad. He gave so much to the sport.

24. Pete's shitten ya, sort of. The actor, Paul La Mat who played Milner in the movie is alive and does autograph signing on the car show circuit.

Milner was killed by a drunk driver in the movie.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  25. @X38 -

At the 1:15 mark in the video clip below, "John Milner" (played by Paul LeMat) is shown driving his trademark yellow deuce coupe toward another vehicle's headlights on New Year's Eve 1964. After disappearing over a small hill, neither his taillights nor the approaching car's headlights are seen again, hinting that this was the crash in which Milner was killed:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    jnaki and Calkins like this.
  26. jawdrpn36

jawdrpn36
    from bay area

Hopefully its still around I was told it was and together

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy and Calkins like this.
  27. Zack Methvin

Zack Methvin
    BANNED

Where were these photos taken?

28. big john d

big john d
    from ma

eva the hot icelander girl is the person who fingered whitey bulger to the feds 200 g reward i think

29. RodStRace

RodStRace