Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Correct master for my brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutchrod, Sep 16, 2018.

1. dutchrod

dutchrod

I tried the search but i still can't figure it out.
    I bought my 58 chevy panel with a gm front clip with disk brakes and a 9" rear with drum brakes , braking is bad and master cilinders is not good.
    My only experience with brakes is 30's mechanical and 1940 stock brakes so this is new stuff for me.
    I want to buy a firewall mounted pedal master kit with booster but don't know which bore and booster size i need.
    Can somebody point me towards the right master ?

These are the front calipers:

IMG_0266.JPG

2. Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  3. 2nd Gen camaro should work as a complete set up
    Booster, master etc.
    Get a adjustable prop valve, makes things easier
    If it still has the stock underfloor brake peddle modifying it
    Or getting peddles out of a doner ( pick up or van seem to work well)
    As the peddle ratio is different between powered and Non powered brakes.

There are lots of universal master/booster kits out there as well, some times using old/used parts is not worth the effort compared to buying a ready to kit is worth

4. dutchrod

dutchrod

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018

5. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

It's not "correct" for any car, it's universal, but I would say it should work with little to a lot of finagling. That's what hot rodding is you know, making something fit in spite of itself. Ralphie

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. dutchrod

dutchrod

Making it fit is not the problem , i can fabricate.
    The thing is i dont have knowledge about wich bore and booster size for wich brakes.
    On my av8 i just used the tried and tested 39 master for my early juice brakes.

I will just buy and try

7. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Master Power Brakes of Mooresville NC 28117 Give them a call 1 800 472 4181 They also have a web site

8. A stock later model (1973-1978 or so) Chevy C10 uses a 1" bore master. So that gets you pretty close considering you have a mix of parts already. I like that pedal bracket, if you have a manual transmission I would look to adapt something from a salvage yard, doubt you have a lot of American trucks around like we do. I like to use factory pieces when I can. That way if they go bad they are more available at parts stores, again that is an issue for you. I'm not big on the small 7" and 8" power boosters, but lots of guys like them. I have a big Ford and have no booster with front discs, it stops great.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

With the right parts, you don't need a power brake "booster"..!
    More of a crutch for not using the correct parts in the first place.

Mike

10. Bingo!! It just complicates things too. My car stops like a '72 Mustang or Chevelle with front discs and no booster. Pedal pressure is very acceptable.

11. I have had Customers bring me "stuff" from these Guys. Being I was not in the conversation while parts were being bought I can't say that those 2 different Guys didn't get exactly what they ordered, only that the combination of parts they got didn't like each other at all. No problem that more $$$ didn't cure.
    I bought there system for my 51 being very careful to explain to them that I had a 70 Nove front clip with 70 Nova disc brakes and a 9" Ford rear axle with 2.25" X 10" stock Ford drum brakes on it. I also bought there under the floor pedal and master mount bracket for said Car. 2 years later when I was actually ready to drive the 51 they didn't want to talk about what I bought only what I should have bought. There Tec department is connected directly to there sales desk and your Wallet. They are in business to sell parts, that's what I know first hand and for sure about them. I should have learned from the prior two treatments from them but I had no pedal parts at all and what they have seemed like a easy way out for me, Wrong! There is nothing left in my 51 that I bought from them and it now has 70 Nova brake parts under it from NAPA and has been working just fine for 15 years.
    Universal really means Good Luck and Maybe, also how Smart are you? You don't need to know how to design a brake system, just think about what the Brakes came off of and forget what the Sheet metal over the top of them is. Brakes don't know what they are stopping, only if the fluid supply is correct.
    The Wizzard

54vicky likes this.