Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 39-40 Front Fenders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mprice, Sep 16, 2018.

1. mprice

mprice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Washington

Hi Its been awhile since I posted a question. I have a 39 Ford Deluxe Coupe. Just finishing a chassis restoration and 327. I notice my front fenders are slightly different. Between the headlight and grill one is a little more curved in. Also the bumper hole is slightly out of place. Aside from hat they fit perfict. They have been on the car since the 60's at least. Anyone know which fender is correct?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Here you go Mike.This picture has just the right lighting to show difference.
    40 Fender and 39 fender modified.jpg

3. alchemy

alchemy

I didn't know there was any bumper hole difference. The frames were the same dimension, and I was pretty sure the bumpers were the same dimension as well. I know the face of the bumpers were different, but always thought the irons were the same.

4. Dyno Dave

Dyno Dave

Mike, had the same situation with my '40 coupe, was told mine were '39 & '40 fenders. Looked in a Ford Parts manual, and found that '39 & '40 Passenger car models were the same part number... '39 & '40 Commercial models shown with the another part number. The higher ride height of the Commercials (this may include Station Wagons) explains the lower headlight mounting, the different fender curvature and change in the bumper mounting. Ya just got to match 'em up! Think trading with another '39/'40 owner who the same problem... Hope that will work for you, Dyno Dave

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. mprice

mprice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Washington

Thanks guys that answers my question. Now I have to decide to live with it or try to match a new fender to my old patina.

6. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Mike I have several 40 fenders and I have an extra left (drivers side 39 fender) I want to trade for a right side 39 fender .

Sam

7. alchemy

alchemy

The basic shape is the same in a passenger and commercial 40 fender, the difference being in the rear mounting flange that bolts to the body (not a lower headlight). After they are bolted on the car/truck they look exactly the same. The two part numbers is because of that flange.

The reason a 39 Deluxe fender has the same part number as a 40 fender is because Ford used a 40 part to replace bent up 39 fenders. A 40 fender is functionally accurate. And Ford is well known to phase out old parts and replace them with other functionally accurate parts that work. The big "32 heavy axle" controversy is one for instance. They were replaced by a skinnier axle in 33, but the new version fits the same place.

Bam.inc and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I never knew there was a difference. Thanks for the picture.

MIKE STEWART likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Let me ask for a clarification of "Commercial". If by Commercial you mean a Sedan Delivery, I would expect it is the same as other passenger body styles. If Commercial also includes the '40-'41 pickups and panels. there is more difference than the cowl flange. The fender aft of the wheel opening curves differently on passenger models compared to trucks. The cowl flange can be dealt with by a bending of the flange, but the fender curvature requires reworking the front of the running board mating curve and, while certainly doable, requires a bit more work.

I do concur with your explanation of '39 fender design being superceded by '40 part and number.

Ray

Ray

10. flatjack

flatjack

Ford made the change in the fender contour in the Spring of 1939.

11. mprice

mprice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Washington

I found that the bumper holes are in the same location but the 40 fender is arched at the bottom making the distance shorter to bottom of the fender. Easy yo see on the hoist not so easy on the ground.

12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

How about a picture of that Mike?

I had not noticed that before. I will have to go up in my attic where my fenders are and do a comparison check.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've had two '40s, both coupes; never knew this. Amazing...

14. verde742

verde742

you'er ALL correct. I am not needed here....

little well known FACTS, all above......

Move along citizens, nuthin' to yell/tell here !!!! Its handled by first responders !!!:rolleyes:

15. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

According to the Early Ford V8 Club "The 1938-39 Ford Book" - "There were two slightly different design '39 Deluxe front fenders used, being changed around March, 1939. The early fender is more concave between the grille and the headlight; the late fender flatter. Factories were told to use up the early design and that it was all right to mix early and later design on the same car."

lothiandon1940 and Bam.inc like this.
  16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Now my OCD will have me checking for matched fenders, in addition to sedan doors on coupes. This is some interesting info.

Bam.inc likes this.
  17. flatjack

flatjack

It took me 10 years to notice this difference on my 39. Had one of each. Still do.

lothiandon1940 likes this.