Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Remember that one kid that wanted to be a car guy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BuckeyeBuicks, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trollst

trollst

The other side.....I never fit, I was dirt poor, had serious acne, wasn't good at school and was bullied. I became hard headed, rode my first bike and drifted toward the Harley Davidson crowd, dared anyone to bully me and over the years became known as the troll. Learned to fix anything, learned that I had talent with bikes and cars, learned complete disdain for those who had the money but not the ability, and was pretty much a loner.
    All because I wasn't given an opportunity to fit into a crowd when I was in school, at a time when kids need to know they're accepted regardless of their circumstances. I like to think the character in the op's story turned out to be the master in the race shop, the head engine tuner for the biggest drag racers, the greatest chassis guy ever, known for independence and the ability to think hard and make decisions based on experience, both in life and circumstance. It's worked for me.
    What you think that guy is or was may shock you today.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You don’t have to be an uptight prude to not find it fun or funny to pick on people who are not an ‘easy fit’ in their circumstances. You think they don’t already know it? I won’t bore you with an effort to persuade you how much fun I am in most circumstances, but that doesn’t mean it has to be at another’s expense.

I think it is factually so that most adolescents, whatever their age, who have to ‘needle’ someone they think is nerdy or socially awkward do so in part out of their own insecurities. Funny thing is, trying to elevate their self esteem by picking on the weakest in the crowd really doesn’t lift them much from the bottom. Aim higher.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  3. Some people have the ability to grow older and wiser, some don't. What was funny to me in high school is rarely funny to me anymore, I think that's called evolution. What's nice to see is over 40 years later at class reunions how nice everyone is to the couple of square pegs in a round hole people who show up. They turned out pretty damned good and have a great ability to forgive and forget.

Saxman, mrchewie, williebill and 3 others like this.
  4. .........It's funny that you bring up HS reunions. I will be attending my 50th in a couple of weeks. It's ironic how time is the great equalizer. All of the girls that were so hot back in school (at least in their minds) have put on a few pounds over the years and aren't so "stuck on themselves" now. The ones that were thin in school have often filled out and are quite attractive now. The clowns that used to rag on me as "four eyes" 'cause I've worn glasses since age 12, now have bifocals and have trouble reading menus. Sweet justice! One thing that I've figured out from attending a few reunions.......if someone was an ass-hole 50 years ago, in all likelihood they are still an ass-hole today! The mods must be off for the week-end or this thread would have (and probably should have) been shut down already. In a meager effort to salvage this thread, did you drive your hot-rod to a high school reunion? Post pictures if you did. To the OP: I expect this thread will soon be closed.

trollst, Hnstray, 47ragtop and 5 others like this.
  5. Nope never drove a car period, to a reunion. Me and my best buddy arranged to get driven to and picked up by a third party. That way we could, should you say, enjoy the party a little more and not have to worry about getting home. I think we are about the only ones with Hot Rods, never got married or had kids. Time is definitely an equalizer and marches on. The down side is we had to bury one from our class yesterday and he was one of the good guys. Funny how the assholes seem to last forever...

6. Hahahaha....high school reunions. Why the hell would someone like me who was crammed into 1/2 size football lockers and dragged down the hallways in a different direction from my classrooms even want to see all of those a-holes again? I spent more time with my '31 Dodge than with "friends and peers" in high school simply because I could not stand being around jerks. I get to laugh last, though. I still have my '31 Dodge(s), I am fairly healthy and I never have to see them again. post-81542-0-63910700-1449614226.jpg

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

This is a great post......very informative.....

I will sum it up for you. "I was a dick in high school and it hasn't changed. I'm a traditional dick"

8. That was me... the nerd. It's interesting, I persevered and became an accomplished car guy and the jocks are still jocks. :rolleyes::cool:

9. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

lol I was the guy hanging with the jocks girls while they were up to more important stuff.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. adam401

adam401

This is a fucked up thread. Fond memories of being a jerk in school.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Class of 1968: Cars in the parking lot 1923 Dodge Screen Side belonged to the guy that taught typing. Best student cars were a '32 Ford 3window, 1930 Fordor Model A, a 1929, A pickup, and a few mid fifties Chevys'. Still have Dad's '31 Roadster that I'd take to Saturday football games.

Bob

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Lol
    High school reunions ..... my 20 cane and went, the ones I speak with I speak with and the rest..... well I don’t need to finish that sentence.

A few years ago my wife and I were going to a family function, some baptism or communion or something so dressed up fairly well and I borrowed an Aston marten vanquish covertsble from the dealership I was at.
    Stopped to put gas and ran into one of the “ cool chicks” from high school, we knew each other but she wouldn’t give me the time of day.back then but of course all dolled up and me looking good
    Ran over looked me up and down gave me a hug and started chatting me up, told her to follow me out of the gas station and saw “MY”car and the lady I was with her jaw dropped!!!
    I just pulled the nonchalantly “ yeah just out for a drive” nice seeing you!!!

Told my wife who she was and we both thought it was just too funny seeing her standing there dumbfounded at what she “ missed out on” lol!

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well it could be salvaged by being a thread about helping those who show interest in the car hobby, neighbourhood kid ( girl or boy) or adult neighbour, a few tips and tricks to help them out. When you help someone you are well remembered and when you belittle your are held in the lowest regard. As I said earlier good natured fun is fun, bullying is not. So help a person out in this great hobby of ours!

14. When I was around age 12 -15 an older guy 2 doors away was in his early 20's and deeply into the car hobby and occasional drag racing at Aquasco Speedway. He had a beautiful Emerald Green '57 Olds Hardtop that he had lowered a bit and a '50 Olds Club Coupe that he raced sometimes. Doug and his friends were always working on something in front of his house, welding up a set of headers or opening up the wheel wells on the Coupe to allow the slicks to fit. I had been reading all of the car magazines and building models for years by this time, but had no experience with "real" cars. I would sit on the curb, watch these guys and ask some pretty dumb questions. I learned a lot about cars and a lot about respect and patience back then. Doug never seemed to think that my questions were stupid and always answered them with far more patience than I probably deserved. By the time that I was 15, he had sold both Olds' and had a Red on Red, '64 Corvette Roadster, 327-300, 4-speed with electric windows. He cherished that car, washing it almost daily and waxing it so often that he had to often remove all emblems just to clean off the white residue and wax underneath them! He had General Tire Triple Redlines on the car and he washed it so often (and scrubbed the tires with a Brillo Pad) that he had to occasionally renew them with Red India Ink!...I'm getting long winded here, but the point I'm making is that Doug never looked at me as just the kid who wanted to be a "car guy", but someone who just wanted to learn and respected the older guys, their cars and their knowledge. Before I even had my license he would allow me to drive the Corvette around the block just so he could watch it come down the street. I may not have had many social skills, but I sure felt good driving that car around the block and watching the faces of the other kids in the neighborhood.

15. Damn, just reading that makes me want to fly over there and hunt those guys down.:mad:;)
    I was the class clown and basic pain in the ass but I did get into a few fights defending guys just like you. That is one clean Dodge by the way.

16. Don, I saw that episode on ABC's "After School Special" in the 70's.......just kidding;)
    Good story and bonus points for your redirection of the thread.:)

17. Those guys are probably all still in Michigan where I grew up. Thanks for the compliment on the car.

18. 3/4 or better... I have to remind myself that not everyone knows how to weld, braze, turn a wrench or machine their own parts.

19. I was always good at math and that sort of thing, came easy to me, always aced the tests without studying, until I got into college anyway. Anyway, there were these guys in my class who just didn't get math. You know the type, greasy clothes, POS cars with cheap aftermarket crap bolted on because they thought they were "car guys". Sometimes I'd see those guys all freaked out before a test so I'd teach them the wrong stuff, I'd show them the wrong way to figure out word problems or something. It was f'ing hillarious, the look on their faces when they failed yet another easy math test.

I'm sure they thought it was funny, who ever uses algebra anyway? I'm sure they're doing fine now. Why the hell would I stay in touch with guys like that though? They probably still can't figure out how much to tip without asking their wives.

20. Fordors

Fordors

Interesting that your Profile shows you are a Development Engineer. Does your employer know about your attitude toward others when you have to deal with those you deem having an arrested development?
    I’ve always found it interesting, no, actually it’s disturbing when someone with a degree cannot rise up from looking down on others. Grow up and act like a man.

21. This just goes to show that moral compasses are not standard equipment in some people. Not everyone is given the same abilities, you've shown some of your weaknesses and you don't even recognize it.

trollst, Montana1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I hated school with a passion. Arrived after the first bell rung then 4 minutes later the second one rang and class started. Darted off when the last class was over. Off to work to make money. Was kind of a loaner and stayed away from bullies as much as I could. Didn`t always work out to well. Three kids I remember well. One was killed in a car accident at the age of 23. One was in prison for armed robbery his senior year(class of 80 kids) and another turned out to be a drug addict for close to 25 years. I hear he is clean and sober now. After graduation, I attended a trade school and now am self employed(car related) Scan0531.jpg with no employee`s. Never wanted to work in a job with people I can`t stand. Some people change, and some don`t. I`m still the same kid as I was back then. Could care less where you came from or the amount of money you have or don`t have. I treat everybody equally and hope they do the same for me. Still don`t know much about mechanic`s. Here`s my high school car. Still have it.

Hnstray, trollst, williebill and 2 others like this.
  23. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Too much to retype here on my phone but it seemed to fit this thread.

Screenshot_2018-09-16-11-42-16-1.png
    Screenshot_2018-09-16-11-42-29-1.png

24. Who said anything about arrested development? And kids in high school don't have degrees.

In any case, it isn't a true story. The point was making fun of people with no math skills isn't funny so why is it funny to do it to someone with no mechanical apptitude?

You're absolutely right. Not everyone has the same abilities. And I hope everyone who got offended by reading my last post felt the same way when the OP was making fun of the guy with no mechanical skills. What's the difference?

I've never mislead anyone with math or anything else. The "We never done anything to hurt this guy and I think he enjoyed the attention." comment was so incredibly stupid I was inspired to turn the tables and see how people liked the thought of being made fun of for not understanding math. Probably should have just let it lie and not said anything but come on. Enjoyed the attention? Seriously?

Hnstray likes this.
  25. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You got me! I missed the satire or whatever it might correctly be called...but it sure does make the point!

Ray

57 Fargo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.