Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Imz14u

Imz14u

Planning on doing Dakota front swap in my 55 plaza. I'm very curious. Has nybkdy measureed 1st gen Durangos or the 2000s Dakota's for frame fitment?
    Also the original steering column to steering box. Everything hooked right up?
    Any advice or What little hold ups to expect would be great!

Front clip recommendations
    Read end recommendations.
    8 3/4 preffered. I think I read an a body?
    I also read the Ford 8.8s?

Car has auto with dash lever shifter. No park selector. So e brake a must and I'd prefer disc brakes all around.
    Any Info would be greatly appreciated.

Little background history on the car for those interested.
    Grandpa bought it in 88, did body and paint, restore in 92. (Stock suspension and flat head 6. I was 4yo at time.
    for the next 14 years every weekend we went to car shows, cruises, swap meets! He passed away in 2006, I was 17..
    Car went to a relative who said "they were gonna love it and care for it, then it turned into a they would restore it eventually" Annnd it sat uncovered for the most part.. for last 12 years..
    As I sat quietly but mad as hell for 10 years. And that's when I started trying to acquire the car back. After 2 years of harping and pointing out they would never get it done..
    I finally got her for the low price of $300.00 which was compensating them for the engine they purchase and never installed... 318 w a 727'
    Gonna ditch that and run a 360.

This my friends is more then a car, more then a 55 plymouth. This car is a bond between boy and grandfather, a bond so strong that I sometimes sit in what used to be a huuuge passenger seat to me back then, I look over and he's sitting behind that wheel smiling ear to ear .The best part is even after 12 years. It smells just like it did when he had it. (Weird I know)
    Now it's my turn and it's a bond for me and my son's. A chance to continue a legacy and keep him close to my heart and in my garage.
    This my friends isn't just MY car. In reality it will always be my Papa's 55 ply. And is not nor ever will be for sale.

Pics below are from a 96, expo show. The other is how she sits now after neglect.
    Color will stay plum crazy and will look just like the photo from back then when finished.
    It will be an honor and walk down memory lane to revive her again!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. 73RR

73RR

...nice story....

The 1st gen Dak is always preferred for the 5 lug rotors although the following couple of years can be swapped from 6 to 5. IIRC, there is a thread on the Moparts forum with a Dak ifs swap in/on a 55-56.
    The Explorer 8.8 is a good unit, disc or drums and several ratios to be had. When you go to your pik-n-pull take all of the e-brake related stuff and have at it.

Imz14u likes this.
  3. Old Ray

Old Ray

4. 73RR

73RR

Thats the one!

5. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

I have one of these little 230's in my 50 coronet, its been one of the most unrelaible engines I have ever dealt with! Have you redone any of the wiring or has it ever given you trouble? Also, you can get a dual- style header for that little six shooter- you can find it on stovebolt 12 or Langdons stove bolt 6, I put them on mine and it sounds pretty good (WHEN IT RUNS). Im looking at possibly trading my car for a 55 2dr coronet I believe, havent seen the car in person yet, but I really want one of these '55 2 door dodges.

6. Old Ray

Old Ray

Nothing personal to the original poster!

So is it just me, (old and cranky) that I see a trend on this site and others (Facebook 55-56 mopar) for someone to ask questions and because I want to help (somewhat questionable) I go to the effort to reply to the best of my ability but never hear from the OP again. Not looking for thanks, don't need it, but I am starting to wonder if is worth the effort and have stopped replying to some posts.:)

7. Hemihead_NHRA

Hemihead_NHRA

Should i trade my 1950 Dodge Coronet Sedan [​IMG]

For a 1955 Dodge 2dr sedan? Is it worth it?
    [​IMG]

I have a 55’ desoto 291 hot rod mil being built but I dont really want to put it in my 50 dodge because its a sedan and I know that the 291 is more compatible with the 55 mopars and the 55 im looking at is a 2 door, need a little help with looking at my options

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Old Ray

Old Ray

YES, and you should for many reason , ........and because I did ...................and because misery loves company.
    I had built a other make running driver and thought I would trade it for what I thought was a upgrade, it ran, but was a pig without the lipstick , so when the suburban was listed for sale with possible trade, I traded the pig for it. By that time my total investment in the original car was down to zero, lost it all, so now I am starting over working my way back up with the suburban and never regretted it for a moment and would do it again.

Hemihead_NHRA likes this.
  9. Imz14u

Imz14u

Thank you. The info is very helpful!

10. Imz14u

Imz14u

I surely was not ignoring you.
    I was very busy and am just getting time to sit down and check in on a few forums. The info is very helpful and very appreciated. I am and have been checking into all the recommendations.
    Thank you again! You guys are awesome

11. Old Ray

Old Ray

Did you get my info by messenger / conversation ? :confused:

12. Old Ray

Old Ray

If any archaeological suffers (miners/diggers) are looking for info on the Dakota front frame to '55-'56 Mopar swap I can send you a copy of my conversation with lmzl4u (or open the conversation for you if I knew how).

13. gatz

gatz

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

15. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I bought a 56 Chevy 4dr (had factory air) and a 55 Ford 4dr (needed parts) from a guy that also had a very rusty 55 Plymouth convertible with a backward paint scheme---black with red cove rather than red with black cove. Doable but not by a beginner. Don't know if it's still there but have name and phone number. IIRC price was $1500. At least two years ago.

16. gatz

gatz

Re: going to rear emergency brakes set-up in lieu of the Mopar transmission-mounted band brake...
    I think I read someplace that Ford Ranger rears had the cables on the left side as opposed to the centerline Might be something to consider if going the U-Pull-It route for components.

The '67 Dodge Coronet rear that I'm adapting to the '40 Chrysler also has the cables to the left, which is how it's being installed now. Right side is much longer than left.
    Nothing says that it couldn't be central using equal-length cables, but it has worked out nicely using the Chrysler's original hand lever under the dash. Made some special linkages and mounts.

17. Coilover --- sent you a PM. Thanks.

18. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Here'e one for ya... IMG_8005.JPG Stan Goodwin of Casper, Wyoming found this old Belvedere convert in a saw mill shed...heard about it for years and finally decided to go see if it was true...in 2006 it was true. The car was a little dusty, little home for mice, a little covered with bird droppings and a little covered with storage stuff but overall not bad condition. He hauled it home and tore it apart...

Starting with the idea of using a first generation 392ci Hemi, he decided to step up and use a 2007 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Gen III 6.1 Hemi. An engine was located in a "Pick-A-Part" recycling yard in Ohio and the build commenced. With the body off the frame, Stan installed a torsion bar front clip from a 1988 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, adapted it to the stocker for the front suspension. The rear suspension remains leaf springs with a 1998 Ford Explorer differential with 3:55 ratio gears and disc brakes.

Stan, brother-in-law Ron Chaney, Randy Binfet & Steve Schaffer handled all of the fabrication and body work. Doug Walters at Starbrite Restoration did the final blocking and paint. Sky Blue Pearl Metallic over Moonshine Pearl White. The vinyl interior was handled by Sam of Sam Parsons Upholstery in Casper. Bucket seats are from a 1969 T-Bird and displays the 50’s look R & P inserts. Blue carpet matches the exterior and the trunk is finished as well. The center console houses the shifter and Secret Audio stereo - a power amplified six-speaker system. Stan installed the white convertible top. Lowered, louvered hood, wide whitewall tires,1960 Dodge Polara hubcaps and pinstriping highlight the exterior.

11 years of building the car, and a year on the road, Stan now reports this rare car has exceeded expectations with tire smoking quarter mile runs and it’s a fun car to drive and show.

IMG_8007.JPG
    That's Stan hiding out in the background...

IMG_8012.JPG
    Good looking car from any angle...the Belvedere is a rare one and they sure don't make them like this one any longer...

R-

19. gatz

gatz

nice !
    the 'Bird seats look great in it.

20. Seats look like mopar C-body's....like some 1968 Chrysler 300's......nice looking though.

21. Relax354

Relax354

work is progressing

Attached Files:

droppedstepside likes this.
  22. dludvik76

dludvik76

Hi everyone,
    I'm in the process of purchasing a 56 Belvedere and am looking for info on power steering. The car was not originally equipped (did come with factory AC, go figure) and is a v8 car. I'm in need of power steering for the car, and am looking for help on what kits exist, if any, or what OEM parts I need in order to do a full swap. My dad will be driving the car, and at his age power steering is critical. Thank you to anyone who can help!

23. George

George

24. dludvik76

dludvik76

yeah, I've also created an account there and have been searching the site without much specific info. If I find none and end up going through it without a write-up, I'll definitely create one for the next person who wants to swap in PS.

25. Sperduton

Sperduton
    from NJ

I haven't seen any kits. When I changed. I had to source a complete power steering column and the generator/power steering pump combo and brackets for the engine..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

dludvik76 likes this.
  26. Old Ray

Old Ray

27. 49 Cruiser

49 Cruiser

28. firea100

firea100

Good Morning to all on the site!
    Been a member since 2008. Have a 1955 Dodge Coronet Sierra 4 door wagon. Am interested in converting it to a Dakota front suspension. Does anyone have any pics of the steps they used to do the conversion?
    Thanks,
    Firea100 in East China Mi.

29. firea100

firea100

Low Budget, Is that your ‘56 wagon?
    Firea100 in East China Mi

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

No just a pic I ran across that I like