Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevy National Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by scottyairborne, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Just got it yesterday... Very original, runs but need new vacuum fuel tank (or wiring up the included fuel pump).

Big question is how to Hotrod:

Option 1: Hop the 4C up and hold on tight. Leave the drivetrain original. The mech brakes work, tires and wheela are perfect, etc. so this is very realistic.

Option 2: Put old truck axles in, to gain juice brakes. That probably means rim change, which I hate to do.

Option 3: In addition to juice brakes put a T5 and late model 4cyl in. This would allow daily driving for 6 months of the year and decent gas mileage.

I'm torn, bought to make a eco-rod driver but it showed up as a true survivor and I feel guilty middling it too much. Ĺove to hear some inputs...

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. A few more photos

Attached Files:

3. chriseakin

chriseakin

Some of your photos are showing up postage-stamp size, hard to see for those who need glasses to read the fine print. Option two or three would be the sensible thing to do, but who said cars are about being sensible?

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When I read 'Chevy National build', I envisioned it 'visiting' shops coast-to-coast until completed.
    As for 'making it a dependable driver', a plethora of 'things' need to be changed ('upgraded'), realistically a big $$ venture.
    If 'just a few things' are changed, namely 'old Chevy truck axles' for brakes, then the late-model 4 banger and T-5...
    "It can always be returned to the stock configuration later..." To coin a phrase, "Phooey!" (1 word)
    I have bought so many '32 parts, i.e. axles, original seats, fenders, running boards, etc. that were saved upstairs for the time when all these parts were to be refitted, thus restoring the worthy Deuce and shedding its old 'hot rod' garments!
    Cars got sold, and the original gennie stuff went later.

Ask yourself this: How long will I have the National? How old will I get to be?
    How much of this stuff will ever get back into this thing, and what will it be worth?

Plan an 'upgrade'. Try and include everything that might be an "Why didn't I do that also?" Later is a bad time to make changes.

'Middling' may be the best option. 'Complete Middling'.

X38 and Texas Webb like this.

5. Very True...
    I plan to keep her for a long time, but kids will graduate in the next 5 years. I want them to have it for local parades etc. now while they still want to do that with Dad.

I know once modified it will never go back, perhaps Option 4 is to offer to a purist for an already "bastardized" hotrod. I am not one, but as I age I realize these old guys exist less and less.

Price and value is all relative, an old 4 Door chevy is not a collectible. But is in great shape for a 90 year old car. Value to me just might be a complete drive train replace, engine, gearbox, differential, axles, prop shaft, tires and wheels. An ecotec with T56 would be awesome. That is a major project and time consuming. see my first consideration.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. I will fix the photos and not post from my phone.... My last car project spiraled out of control until my 55 wagon had a Dart motor, supercharger, nitrous and T56. I want to keep this guy fun to drive and on the road more than a work in progress.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I am a hot rodder to the core, but I wouldn't mess with that car. I'd leave it as is and just tune up the mechanicals. A 28 Chevy fordor will never be a real hot rod, so just enjoy it as a time capsule. Find a lesser car to cut up while you have fun putting around with this car.

X38, Texas Webb, BJR and 2 others like this.
  8. It seems the old Chevy banger can be made to produce 50-60hp reliably. Does that exceed the mech brake capabilities??? To get that power it will take a pretty decent engine build, hate to do it only to exceed the rest of the vehicle.

9. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I like the true surviver idea. Old csra are fun to drive because they drive like old cars. Not boring new ones. If gas mileage is your concern, maybe you should of bought a toyota.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Agreed and point taken, but a 150hp 4cyl from a late model is "boring" until it is in an old car. I think if I can get a 1928 Chevy fordor to do a solid burn out, it is a hotrod and not boring for me. Can I safely do that with the stock set-up will remain to be seen.

11. BJR

BJR

I also go with keeping it original..... to a point. Hop up the original motor, find a way to add Hydraulic brakes and keep the disk wheels. Shouldn't be too hard to make a dual carb manifold for it.

12. carbking

carbking

Food for thought:

My Dad used to say a '28 Chevy would break a rear axle just by driving over a railroad track. If you hotrod the engine, you might want to consider the rear end.

Jon.

13. upspirate

upspirate

What condition is the wood?

14. Quite solid and all there. Top was previously replaced and in excellent condition.

upspirate likes this.
  15. Threw a battery in it today, fired it up and spun it around the block a few times. The vacuum tank isn't functioning so running on a gravity feed lawnmower tank for now. Starts great... even cranked it with the hand crank...

16. BJR

BJR

So take the vacuum tank apart and fix it. They are not complicated.

17. That is the plan, but figured it was good for support (from the Mrs.) to run it about some.

18. Only original once.Have some fun before you decide.

19. Kids really had fun in it today... verdict is to drive it for a while. If we get scared off of the brakes... wet will start there. I used to ride a modified Simplex Servicycle over 60 mph with a mechanical drum brake. Just not with my kids!