Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help Me Decide on Fuel Tank Design - Model A Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Aug 3, 2018.

1. bobscogin

bobscogin

The "tunnel" is wedge shaped and does not extend all the way to the front of the tank thus fuel can flow across. It's actually deeper than it needs to be and will possibly be eliminated, or reduced in depth when I build the tank out of aluminum. This one is knocked together out of 18 gauge steel just to check fit and function. No part of it extends below the frame rails and has more than adequate clearance around all suspension components.

Bob

KustomKreeps likes this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I have a similar tank with the drive shaft splitting the gas tank partially.
    I just use a balance hose up front that loops under the drive shaft far enough forward that it will never be affected by movement and I run a drive shaft hoop and have snapped a universal once with no damage to the bypass hose.
    Those XJ6 Jaguars had two separate gas tanks in the trunk inter connected with a balance hose, which could be a little painful to fill compared to what we see here, since once the gas level is high enough it all flow into one anyways.
    That tank holds 23 gallons.

Gas Tank.jpg

Blues4U likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So while shopping at a local hot rod parts shop (Reids Hot Rod Parts) I ran across a tank sitting on the shelf, it was marked as 10" x 33", so I bought it and took it home. I thought it looked a little smaller than 33"s though, so I got out the tape measure and it's only about 29.5". I set it in place anyway, just to see how it sits there, and it looks great, but I could use the extra 4" (1.35 gals), so I returned it and ordered in the right size. Waiting now for it to show up. Yeah, I think this is gonna work just fine. 20180816_155633_HDR.jpg 20180816_155709.jpg 20180816_155803.jpg 20180816_155850.jpg

patmanta likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

OK, just wanted to wrap up this thread so it's not left unfinished. I did get the 33" tank installed. I picked up some 2" u-channel steel and cut it to fit between the 2 rear crossmembers on my frame. These were welded in place and gusseted with some 1" angle iron. Then before mounting the tank I took the opportunity to clean it all up and get a nice new coat of pain on everything. All the bare steel got hit with a coat of primer, followed with a couple coats of Rustoleum gloss black from rattle can.
    20180831_131242.jpg
    Then I installed the tank, and plumbed it up with 3/8" steel tubing up to the mechanical pump on the engine. I ran it alongside the right hand frame rail, and on the inside of the frame rail below the passenger door I installed a 1/4 turn brass shut-off valve and an inline filter. The valve will let me change the filter without gas running out from the tank, and as I can easily reach it by kneeling down and reaching under the car I can turn it off whenever I park it and I'm gonna be away from it.

Here's a top view of the tank mounted:
    20180831_174803_HDR.jpg

And a low view from the side, not unattractive at all IMO. I'm really happy with how it turned out, and think this was far better solution than the regular practice of just sticking the tank in the bed. A custom tank may have given me another gallon or 2 possibly, but I'm OK with the 11 gal's this tank will give me.
    20180831_175323.jpg
    Oh yeah, I made a trap door in the wood floor of the bed for access to the cap. I don't have any pics of that, but it's nothing fancy, just a rectangular hole cut in the wood and the same piece of wood re-installed on a pair of hinges.

5. fatboys69

fatboys69
    from Tennessee

BLUES4U,
    THATS EXACTLY WHAT I DID WITH MINE. I PICK UP AN 11 GALLON AND ADDED THE BUNG FOR THE FUEL SENDING UNIT AND ALSO A BUNG WITH A PICKUP TUBE THATS ON THE FRONT SIDE OF THE TANK AND TUBE EXTENDS INTO THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK. THAT WAY NOTHING HANGS FROM THE BOTTOM AND ITS TOTALY TUCKED AWAY AND CANT BE SEEN UNLESS YOU LOOK UP UNDER IT. OH I ALSO AM USING AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP ( WITH REGULATOR ) ON IT AS WELL IMG_0463.JPG IMG_0463.JPG IMG_1199.JPG IMG_1009.JPG

Blues4U likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice! I'm so used to driving without a fuel gauge, I didn't bother with installing a sender on this tank. I thought about adding an electric pump, but folks on this thread convinced me it was unnecessary. And so far they are right, I've been driving it around and haven't noticed any fuel delivery issues.

RICH B likes this.
  7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I was thinking a spun tank like that on my AA frame 29 build as well. I like the look of it peeking out back there.

Blues4U likes this.