Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. suchadrag

suchadrag

Jim just ran a 10.52.

2. Just saw it also. Looked good. I bet its got more in it.

3. grantrobert

grantrobert

Nice, breakin into the 10's. Lookin better every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

CudaChick1968 and Stogy like this.
  4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

See you Friday Squirrel

els, CudaChick1968, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Such a neat video, others should use this on how to make a video, no crazy music, etc.
    Not to take anything away from Jims' accomplishments (I'm still blown away by this build).
    But the Aussies really gotta want it, going through what it takes to get a car here.
    Good luck Jim!

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

7. About an 1/8 mile pass. Maybe 1000' . Should go in the nines, running it all the way through.
    I don't suppose they show incremental times anywhere?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

There’s probably another second in it, and our man Jim is just the guy to find it.

9. badvolvo

badvolvo

10.52 @ 111, sounds like he was coasting through the lights. It's going to go into the 9's when he gets it all figured out. Proud of ya Jim.

10. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Easily a 9 second car, and it still just seems so docile doing it's thing. At some point Jim is going to have it dialed in and make a full burn pass, and just shock the crap out of us!

11. jchav62

jchav62

GO! GO! GO! Awesome man....

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

are you running out of fuel on the big end?

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. oldolds

oldolds

The et is getting quicker. The MPH not so much. I would guess he is still tuning the suspension and feeling out the car. A wise drag racer does not show his hand until he needs to. He also said there were some engine issues. Breaking up ect. Again a wise drag racer.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Hi finally got a chance to look at the hamb. Busy day. We got the car ready to run after they closed the lanes for class cars. Then there was a long clean up. I decided to try to get the tach working. I also adjusted the points and we left the air cleaners in instead of the scoop. I got some parts and made a tach filter. It worked! So now I can see how fast it's turning. I ran pretty late. The weather was nice so I figured it would be OK to run late. The car ran good until about half track, it felt like it ran out of fuel or spark. I shifted around 5000, there's more in it. On the way to Atlanta now, dinner in Ashville.

Sent from my Trimline

ratrodrodder, OahuEli, els and 33 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well deserved...Squirrels have to eat too...:D...you guys are major high energy...don't know how you manage to keep up with this stuff...but it's cool to be a virtual spectator...;)

16. flatford39

flatford39

This is a pretty impressive shakedown. You are already in the mid 10's with a lot left. I suspect you will make the mid 9's this trip and your goal of mid 8's next time around.

Thank you for showing how it is done. Like I said this is really impressive stuff.

17. Great job with the car Jim. Is Hemi Joel with you guys? He is making a great showing , with strong passes. Good luck on the last day. We are rooting for you guys on every step of the way. WHAT A SHOW!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  18. Impressive runs for a fresh build! Great job @squirrel !

19. pumpman

pumpman

Plain vanilla, add some toppings and you got a nut crusher. It’s going to get tastie. Oh boy!

20. flatford39

flatford39

Nut crusher...I think you just came up with a pretty good name for the car.

21. Just so you guys know, Bristol is a slow track @ 1496'..Just under being factored by NHRA.
    Density altitude today was probably well over 4000'. 28.4 baro.
    Of course a blower does help there ;-)

22. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Looking great Jim if I missed it I apologize. But what did you do about your transmission problem?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Something simple, make sure there is no moisture in the distributor cap. I've had that bite me before after being in heavy downpours and felt like an idiot when I found my problem. Since it leaves good then comes on half way down, I doubt that's it. Sounds more like fuel.
    SPark

bobwop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

• Jim you said you left those puny little air filters on it, I gotta wonder if you were starving for air, not gas.

els, chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I'm trying to grasp the lean fuel diagnosis but the puff of black smoke when you let off.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

The puff of smoke is letting off, With a blower they do that, Close the butterflies, You still have a blower full of fuel... Hence the smoke, I had a blown stick car...

27. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Nice Jim! I watched the whole freakin clean up during my lunch break:mad: Do I understand correctly that it went faster at altitude with those tiny air filters in place?

dirty old man likes this.
  28. So once you make it back to Atlanta and make one run tomorrow. You will have put on 800-1000 miles in all kinds of weather and road conditions, beat on this thing for 5 straight days, all on a 100% unproven car. In my book that makes you a winner regardless of time slips. Once you get back home with a couple of good nights sleep and a clear noggin, knowing your skill set you'll find the problem quickly and be planning for next year. Don't you have to ride & drive in a hearse after this ? Something to do with lemons... :cool::D

29. squirrel

squirrel

We made it to the hotel, just another 20 miles to finish the drive at the track in the morning.

Thinking about things, I'll probably just put the slicks on and make a real easy pass in the morning. We're kind of burned out on working on the car, and I don't really want to run it hard when there is something seriously wrong that makes it pop and miss so bad half track. I'm not going to place in my class, no matter how fast it goes, so there's no real reason to try to break it now.

I guess it's something to be able to finish this thing with a car like this... :)

The best part is how many folks come over to look at the car, and say how badass it is. I think they're right, it's a neat looking car. I'll get it running eventually...right now I"m thinking that it really needs mechanical injection on the blower, and an old mag, and it'll wake up.

30. Saxxon

Saxxon

You should be very proud sir !!
    You earned every mile of this event.

els, brad2v, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.