Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 392 distributor in a 331 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of you probably know that I really like "Flattop" Mallory dual point distributors. When a real nice polished one came up on eBay a couple of weeks ago with a reasonable "Buy-it-Now" price, I grabbed it, as I needed one for my 331 early hemi. No matter that it was for a 392, I figured I could cut down the shaft to make it fit. I was talking to my neighbor about this, and he asked why I wanted to cut it down when we could probably make a spacer for it. That way, I would be able to use it on my 331 but it could still be used for a 392 sometime in the future.

I measured a few things and found that the 392 distributor was .400 inches longer than the "low block" distributor. I purchased a piece of .500 thick aluminum and we went to work. This is the result. It fits perfectly, and although I haven't run the engine yet, I see no reason why it won't work. I'm sure glad I talked to my neighbor about this, as I would have ended up butchering a perfectly good 392 distributor.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. Nice fix.

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Did the same thing for the 392 Vertex mag in my 354 . . .
    Went 200 mph . . . Works fine.

deucemac, Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.

4. Spacer was my first thought, glad to see the end result should work fine. Looks nice work on the spacer build.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Veeery interesting!..........and clever! I like it.

Ray

6. Yeah, have done the same, but we machined a groove and put a thin O ring under the flange!

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That sounds like an improvement, but we don't have a mill. We'll probably be OK because I don't think they had it from the factory (and this will be a mostly stock engine).