Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air Compressor for home use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by izzy412, Sep 10, 2018.

1. If you want to know what the real HP is of an electric motor, multiply the running amps on the nameplate by the operating voltage, divide by 750, then round down to the nearest HP. If it's UL approved, it'll have that info.

But motor sizes have shrunk over the years as better designs were developed. A neighbor I used to have had a 5 HP electric pump motor in his barn that was the size of a 30 gallon garbage can and weighed at least 300 lbs. The manufacture date was 1912 though....

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, my neighbor's 5hp Craftsman is actually 1.92hp.

3. Do you know what's wrong ?
    The tank pressure controls the "pressure switch". This is a simple mechanical device with moving parts subject to wear and failure, easily changed.
    That pressure switch controls the motor starter. This is a electro-magnetic mechanical device with a chain of small parts that all need to function correctly. The starter box is also easily swapped out just incase the wear components are obsolete

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks 31, I'll pass your comments on.
    Yes, Penn Controls went out of business or taken over but it is old and probably would be better for an updated unit.
    Neither of us are experts in this area.
    We both reached old age in one piece and neither of us want to be sticking screw drivers into stuff we don't know much about...
    Can't afford to loose any more hair.

RidgeRunner likes this.
  5. fortynut

fortynut

I, too, have a Quincy. I bought it from a company that sells and repairs air compressors. I refuse to buy anything Made in China. I think Bezos has enough money. I may be missing out on something, but I meet a lot of my fellow Americans and get to look them in the face. Maybe it costs more and takes longer. Maybe I feel better about being able to say that for me, and the people I do business with, that the buck stays here. Holes in my process, you bet. But, then some holes don't get my business. When my Quincy fails to feed air, it's sitting on wooden skids and can be winched on the trailer for a visit to the doctor. As to what you need, go bigger and better quality than you think you need. At some point, you will definitely say, "I wish I had gotten one even bigger, better, stronger." Because, whatever you end up with, it will never be enough. Take that as you will.

osage orange likes this.
  6. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you can find an auction of industrial stuff go to them check out the heavy old stuff. Sounds dumb but i found an old Ingersal rand at one about 25 years ago it was probably 25 years old then, put it in a little shed next to my shop and ran air lines through out the shop.the thing is still going strong and the only thing i had to do was replace the 2 belts that’s on it.

7. BJR

BJR

I have a 2 cylinder Quincy that bought rebuilt in 1970. It's still going strong on it's 2nd 5 HP motor, the first one being an old used one.

8. Todd's Rod's

Todd's Rod's
    from MInnesota

Buy the biggest CFM compressor you can afford. I converted my craftsman 60 gallon tank to a 190CFm 7 horse two stage unit it runs all my needs and the recovery time is awesome.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Simple answer, if you want new, go with SCHULZ.

We bought the husky compressor a year ago and have had to swap out 3 times. The tanks start to crack at the welds, either on the legs or where motor mounts and air constantly comes out of those cracks.
    SCHULZ is the absolute best company to go with. You call the company and you talk with real technicians. Tell them what you want and they will suggest a compressor, might be a little more than the box stores, but if you compare cfm's, they are one of the best out there. Also if you start to hook it up and unsure how to do something, you call them up and they answer. Hands down best customer service out there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

When I was looking for a compressor, I talked to a salesman at TP supply in Canfield,Ohio. He said when considering a compressor, look at the rpm. A lot of the newer ones put out a lot of air, but they spin at a higher rpm. They get hot, are very noisy, and don't have a long life.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. I got three electric compressor's a Puma vertical. A USA made 1990 horizontal and both of them are 150 PSI and High CFM. and then a 15 gallon 100PSI one HP single piston portable compressor. And I use It the most. Don't take long to buildup a tank of air. Don't use a lot of electricity. And I can take it anyplace along with my generator and have air. I need to use the generator anyway to be sure its ready to use when the power goes out. And I gave $5 for the little compressor. it needed a pressure switch and I used a old one that came from a water well pump. I used to have two of those 2 cyl cast iron 2 pump 1 HP horizontal tank portable 30 gal 125 PSI compressors. both where 110 volt. And I just ran both of them when I needed more CFM. and I had another the same size that had a B&S gas engine it was handy but the overworked engines didn't last long.

12. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My 1st compressor, I had to put a smaller pulley on the electric motor as it was just too loaded and burnt the motor out.
    With the newer smaller pulley it is probably still going in somebody else's shop.
    I upgraded to a much larger cfm

13. Buy the biggest CFM two stage compressor that you can afford. I got real spoiled having unlimited air at work. Then my old single stage 60 gallon job at home seemed very tiny indeed. That’s when I bought my 80 gallon two stage Quincy. Mine is only 220 volts, but I would have bought a 3 phase set up if we had 3 phase in the boonies where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. donno

donno

Time to "Google".

15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-10-11_4-16-35.png
    Hello,

When I was trying to get my flame/scallop drawings down pat, I tried all sources of spray paint on various surfaces. The pinstriping brush helped in finishing the designs, but getting to that finished look was hard. I bought a very small air compressor like the one above in the late 60s-early 70s to try and get a spray look on the flame designs. Watching those guys at car shows spraying most anything gave me the idea that I could use the same thing. The store bought spray cans were not doing it very well.

I used to hand paint the flames on bicycles, wagons, lawnmowers and just stuff when I was younger. But, now, I wanted to expand and paint larger surfaces, like wheel barrows, trash cans, etc. I was never going to be a car painter or flame artist.

That experiment went on for several months of colorful spray designs, but I could never get the fine points of making it look finished. So, I gave the motor/compressor to a friend for his hobby stuff.

Then when the need for construction arose, I bought another larger 4 gallon 2 HP compressor that came with several nail guns. (Finishing to rough in) There were house and kid projects that came up and the air compressor helped tremendously.
    upload_2018-10-11_4-17-44.png
    Since I did not use it daily, the small air compressor lasted for many years and three house moves. It finally kicked the bucket and I tore it apart, gave away the tank and kept the compressor part for future use.
    upload_2018-10-11_4-18-19.png upload_2018-10-11_4-18-34.png

Jnaki

Now, since the need for air driven nail guns, reversing drills and sockets is no longer necessary, there is only use for an air pressure inflator for tires, etc. So, a smaller quieter all-in-one unit will fit the bill for future uses. Plus, it is lightweight and very portable. For us, the sound is important. We had to close the garage to use our yellow compressor. It sounded like the machine gun practicing at Camp Pendleton when the tank compressor was in use. The yellow, single round tank, 2 HP, 4 gallon unit was very loud, but powerful. But, as we were told as kids… "Silence is Golden…”

upload_2018-10-11_4-19-20.png This one was fairly quiet.
    NOTE:
    upload_2018-10-11_4-27-46.png
    Our contractor used this super loud machine while remodeling our kitchen. The odd thing was as loud as it was, our then, two year old granddaughter slept through the noise of constantly starting up, and shutting down. It made this funny noise “catchinko, catchinko” sounds for a couple of hours. The nail gun sounds was rhythmic enough to put her to sleep for a well deserved nap. Tired grandparents needed ear plugs to drift off for a nap, too.