Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Air Compressor for home use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by izzy412, Sep 10, 2018.

1. izzy412

izzy412
    from indiana

I would like to replace my over 35 year old Sears Craftsman air compressor.Its 5 HP and 30 gallons and is oil lubricated.I only use for air tools and no painting and is portable with wheels.Who makes a good and comparable compr

2. deucemac

deucemac

Ingersoll Rand is hard to beat. Not likely to ever wear it out. Sars stuff isn't what it used to be.

3. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have DEVilbiss. Excellent product.

4. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only contribution is stick with the oil lubricated I didn't realize how much louder the oilless compressors are

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Hoses are easier to move, but Speedaire used to be good. Speaking of hoses those green non kink at Tsc are dang nice and stay soft in the cold.

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. Pretty much anything that is oiled and has a cast iron lung is good.
    Husky, dewalt, cambelhausfeild (sp?)
    Etc . Are all decent new is pricey but a good used industrial unit .... ingersol rand, devilbis, swan etc you can find some great deals online and get a really good comp for the same price as a wee portable unit.

I had a oilless 60 gallon unit and it sucked balls for anything more then airing up tires, and noisy as all get out and fuck off!!!

I’ve had an 80 gallon cambellehausefeild (sp?) for the last 10 years oiled and cast iron head, works great fro everything

3banjos and Joez like this.
  7. I’ve had the same oiled 60 gallon upright portable Husky from Home Depot in my shop for the past 15 years. It’s running all day every day (several people working with pneumatic tools). Only had to change the belt once. Get the extended warrantee, for $600 you will get a 25 year compressor.

They make a 30 gallon oiled version, but quality drops and it’s louder.

If you want to spend $2000 and up get a two stage, better machine. Depends on your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    upspirate likes this.
  8. I bought an 80 gallon 5 horsepower Quincy. Make sure whatever you buy is a 2 stage compressor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

flatford39 likes this.
  9. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Quincy is what I own. That is the tops in piston reciprocating compressors . Screw compressors are more efficient , but $$$ go up with purchase . When purchasing don’t look at HP it is now sold as developed HP. Cubic Feet per Hour Delivered is the answer to deciding which unit to purchase . Pressurized oiling is better all so but it’s not there on most chain store sale models .

10. Pardon my lack of knowledge what's a two stage? My compressor has two cylinders is that a two stage.

11. BJR

BJR

Two stage has 2 cylinders, one is smaller then the other. Then large cylinder compresses the air first, then the smaller cylinder compresses it further. Two stage goes to a higher pressure then a single stage, like 180 psi instead of 135psi.

Joez likes this.
  12. Joe H

Joe H

Sounds like you have the Sears / Craftsman I have, both bought about the same time. I replaced the aluminum pump with this one just this summer. https://www.ranch-rite.com/air-comp...replacement-pump-4-5-hp-155-psi-lpss7550.html The rest of my compressor was still in really good shape. It was pretty easy to adapt, just doesn't have all the plastic shroud on it any more. Seems to work just as good. I am running a little slower due to pulley size, but that could be adjusted if I find I need more air. For about $200 I have a like new compressor.

firstinsteele likes this.
  13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Got a single stage 2cyl 5/60 Sanborn going on 25 yrs old. Still works good. Never changed anything but the filter & oil over the years. If I was shopping today, the 2 stage Dewalt for $999 or the IR for $1049, both at Rural King would be worth a look. For home, hobby use.

14. gatz

gatz

I know you didn't specifically say it, but keep in mind if you are wanting to do sandblasting;
    go with the sandblasting equipment mfg recommendations of CFM rating.
    Don't short-change yourself. If the CFM is too low, you'll be waiting on it to get the pressure back up.

15. CFM is always too low, it's like crack or potatoes chips.

My compressor is pretty damn good but runs at 3400 rpm. It's noisy, my buddy has a physically bigger compressor that puts out the same CFM but his runs at a nice tranquil quite peaceful 1700 rpm. Big difference in noise level too.
    I built an intake muffler for mine and cut the decibels in 1/2 according to the phone app meter.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mine is a Campbell Hausfeld 5 hp 2 stage 80 gal.with cast iron pump and dual belt drive.
    I think I bought it in 1986, it may have been a bit overkill for home shop, thought I may do some painting but never have.
    Used older ones are worth spending money on if rebuild is needed, I think the newer aluminum pump direct drive air compressors like the big box stores carry are considered throwaways.

20180911_081002.jpg

17. MARKDTN

MARKDTN

Another vote for Ingersoll-Rand. I have one from the 80s and the only thing I have ever done (besides maintenance) was replace 1 head gasket-and it was in stock at the IR dealer in Nashville.

18. banjorear

banjorear

Does anyone know of a compressor shop that does retro fits in the tri-state (NY/NJ/PA) area? I have a great old 3 lung compressor with a real 2.5 motor on it (almost as big as the compressor). The tank is a 30 gallon horizontal and I'd like a 60 or 80 vertical.

19. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

“For home use with wheels”

I purchased a “california air tools” compressor off amazon

Its very quiet and portable with decent recovery cfm rating

[​IMG]

brsturges likes this.
  20. Compressors are like engines. Always use the largest you can afford

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if the tank and other pieces are still good you can probably find the actual compressor pump to replace the one you have fairly reasonable.
    Everyone has their own ideas as you saw above. Some of them not fitting in with your "comparable" quest at all. I'd be looking at the ag stores in the area as they often have better prices on compressors than most outfits.
    Harbor freight sells just the compressor pump pretty reasonable. One of my buddies has the twin cylinder one on his compresser and has beat on it for years without problems. That would run you around 150 bucks or so.

22. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If you old Sears compressor has quit working, save the tank to increase your air storage capacity. Depending on how you plumb it, it also can be use as an air dryer.

Bones

23. Heck I have a old Sears compressor that is probably 40 years old and works like a champ,it's a 30 gallon capacity and I have even painted with it but you have to wait on it to catch up, it rarely gets used now.

I also have a Champion 2 stage/80 gallon compressor I picked up at Granger about 12 years ago that is just outside in a covered shed behind the shop, I can hardly hear it running and it is the one I use most. HRP

24. Terrible80

Terrible80

Are you gonna air up tires or run air grinders all day? Your use determines which you need.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. As Dave said. Volume is probably more important than tank size.
    35 years? Pretty good comp. I agree with rebuilding the compressor if it is large enough CFM.

Ben

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I bought this 5 hp two stage compressor at an auction and paid $125.00 because it was a three phase. Cost a little over $200 for a 5 hp single phase motor plus the other items to set it up. Been running great for 20 years and no sign of slowing down. Notice on top of the low compression cylinder is a gauge and a relief vale to drain the pressure off the piston after it stops so it's not starting under load.
    Straight tank pressure off the end with two hose sizes and regulated air with water trap on the top.
    I see these kinds of compressors at equipment actions all the time that go for less than $200.
    WP_20180911_13_47_44_Pro.jpg WP_20180911_13_48_02_Pro.jpg WP_20180911_13_48_23_Pro.jpg

27. greybeard360

greybeard360

Summit caries several brands... Cambell Hausefield for one. They also carry parts for them at better than the online stores that deal with nothing but air tools and equipment. I had a Husky at my shop for 13 years, it was built by CH. I had to replace a bearing in the pump once and the motor.... bought it from Summit for less that a motor shop here wanted to repair it. Take this into consideration when buying one.

28. izzy412

izzy412
    from indiana

I do a lot of sandblasting so what is the minimum size I should look for

Joez likes this.
  29. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just a shot in the dark with compressors.
    My buddy has a 70's compressor which is really quiet it has 2 or 3 cylinders and they are not the same size.
    It still runs well but he has a Penn Controls electro mechanical pressure switch that obviously controls the on and off pressure limits, he is having some problems with it and would love to get a diagram or manual to know how to adjust it.
    So if anybody knows where to source some literature for a Penn model 1001 pressure controller it would be most appreciated...

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine has a real 2-1/2hp motor on it, too. The motor is gigantic.

It is amazing what marketing departments will call 2-1/2hp nowadays.