Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stewart Warner Smooth Bezel Glass Removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad333, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Brad333

Brad333

Hey guys.

Been digging around on the forum and have seen plenty of posts about ways to remove the SW smooth bezels from the gauges but nothing on removing the inner ring so you can remove the glass and replace the seal.

I have a smooth bezel that I want to re-chrome because the chrome has worn off over time. The bezel wasn't damaged when removed but it took a lot longer then I expected... Any one have any methods for removing this inner ring? I'm trying to avoid damage to either the bezel or the glass. Because of the value of the gauge, replacing it with an aftermarket bezel just doesn't make any sense from a $$ point of view, but re- chroming will be cheap because it will be thrown in with some other work i'm getting done.

Thanks in advance.

Bezel Top.jpg Bezel Inner.jpg

2. OHV DeLuxe

OHV DeLuxe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norway

To remove the bezel i usually make a tiny slot in the case with a tiny rotating file, dentist style, then tig weld back to a tight press fit, and readjust with a Dremel drum sander tool.
    The glass retainer ring, i have had luck with just soaking the assembly in a cerosene bath or similar slippery thin stuff, then i`m usually able to place the bezel assembly in an empty housing with a rag inside and behind it and push very gently with a pvc tube, typicly a sink drain pipe as big as will fit inside the smooth bezel, make sure to save the felt gaskets if you can.

3. Brad333

Brad333

Now that makes a lot of sense, I’ll give that a go. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. "Everything you do comes back to you!" I would have to say this bit of wisdom should reap many times it's probable benefit. A lesson obviously learned from countless attempts, or hours of contemplation.