Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot Rod Primer and folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Wishing y'all the best....looks like a mean one coming ashore in the next day - hope all's dry and intact for another day !

2. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm hoping for the best, but planning on getting the he'll out of Dodge.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. I am in the upstate and depending on the track we will get a lot of high wind & heavy rain or wind, rain, hail & tornadoes, our friends on both South & North Carolina coast are gonna get hammered.

The Governor has issued a warning and schools in the low country are closing Tuesday for a unspecified time, batten down the hatches. HRP

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  4. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just outside Wilmington NC right on the coast and feel like there is a big bullseye on us! Boarded up the house, locked up the garage, and also getting the hell out of here with the RV. 140 MPH winds are no joke!! :eek: Be safe folks and use some common sense.

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

From SLC take care everyone

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thoughts are with those in harm's way...

7. The coming hurricane packs quite a pucker factor. Something is driving heavy rain up to Long Island, weekend was a partial washout, did get a car show in on Saturday for a while. Solid rain Sunday up to now. So we feel it and expect a tide surge. Supermarkets and Ace Hardware have storm preps out in plain sight. I made a Harbor Fright run for some things I was shy of. Even storms 500 miles away we take seriously!

8. Pressure in millibars dropped from 975 yesterday morning to 944 @ 5am this morning. That's a big drop. It's intensifying rapidly. Be safe, Florence is a monster!

9. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keeping all of those in the Florence's path in my prayers. Everyone keep safe and batten down the hatches.

BigO, 50 customcoupe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. Reporting in from Eastern NC (Greenville, if you want to look at the map)...

Watching the prognostications, the coast is toast!! Anyone within 20 miles of ocean or sound could expect as much as 12 FEET of storm surge! That will destroy HWY 12 from Nags Head through Ocracoke, and I'm afraid many of the homes (especially in the Mirlo/Rodanthe area) may not make it. Inland will have to deal with rain of biblical proportions. From Wilmington to Roanoke, VA (yes Virginia) will see as much as 2 FEET of rain, resulting in severe flooding.

[​IMG]

All this to say, we're kinda pinched in between these two catastrophes...just inland enough to miss the surge and just east enough to escape the most severe rains. We have food and water, gas range in the house and the gas grill on the screen porch. Batteries and cell phones charged (provided service is available). Oldest daughter and the grands will probably be here tomorrow while her husband is on pre-deployment training in Yuma. Full house.....

Prayers out to everyone in Flo's path...She's gonna be a MUTHA!!!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  11. Sporty45

Sporty45

My daughter lives in Durham and I am worried for her. This is going to be a bad one :(

12. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saying prayers for all of you in harm's way.

BigO, 50 customcoupe, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Prayers for you and everyone there. One of my Charlotte Swap neighbors lives on Oak Island on the coast. Not looking good for him. Any chance of flooding coming into your house/garage? Time to get stuff up off the floor maybe. Be safe my friend and keep us updated if you can.

14. We have some room for someone seeking high ground, not much but it's home. Food, shelter, internet and a shower. . . Maybe room for a small camper. .

15. @Grandadeo Our house/lot sits fairly safe. Floyd and Matthew backed up into the lower portion of our property, but never came close to the house. We may be naive, but we should be fine. Moving about once it's over may be another story...

@lo c dan Thanks for the offer. My dad is in Burlington and my brother is just north of Greensboro. We could scramble to their places, but they're expected to see more rain than we are. Time will tell, I guess...

16. I saw on the news where Wilmington is expecting as much as 10" of rain not to mention the high storm surge, please don't take any chances and seek higher ground inland.

The latest reports show the storm has turned and the major impact looks to be the North Carolina coast, I'm sure we will be impacted but nothing like the coast. HRP

17. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you, we pray you are all safe.

Reprimanded an acquaintance this morning for his wise ass comment, "Roll with the Flo". Not humorous at a time like this.

18. My brother's inlaws are in Hertford NC and over 80 and in not great health. They have a son in SC, not sure where but the whole area is in danger.

With Sandy in NY the 19' over high tide surge was predicted, but some didn't buy it. There are still houses destroyed from 2012 that were not fixed or are now bare lots... for sale. It makes you wonder why the oldest houses in the area by the water were built after 1938... that was the New England hurricane that did them in.

19. The newest reports show the storm coming in on the North Carolina coast but stalling out and then moving South, if that happens we are going to experience some sever weather in the upstate, they now predict Wilmington, North Carolina could get as much as 40" of rain when the system stalls out, yesterday they predicted the storm surge could be 12 foot now the say it could as much as 20 feet.

People in Savannah & Atlanta could be affected also. It's a huge storm. HRP

20. Im about 25 clicks west of Charlotte NC ... One major hurricane that came this far inland was Hugo in '89 (Cat 4 at landfall in SC )
    So , having gone thru that , I'm makin' a list and checkin' it twice with Florence....Seems the path after landfall is a crapshoot at this point , but could turn south... We live in the woods , so high winds added to lots of rain is usually all some trees need to come crashing down...
    Stan

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  21. frank spittle

frank spittle

Hey Stan, did you forget Hazel in 1954. It was a cat 4 with a 40 mile wide eye making landfall at the N.C/S.C. border with 130 plus mph winds. There were not many waterfront homes then and it didn't leave many standing. I was only 10 but remember that year well. It was the hottest summer in the Carolinas I have lived through and stayed in the 90s until Hazel came through October 15th. The high Atlantic water temperature fueled it. Wiki it if you don't remember it.

22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Hopefully everyone there has high ground to get to, I know all too well about stalling, Allison and Harvey have dropped a shit ton of water on Houston, best thing to do is to look at topo maps if you are unsure. I honestly know that 12' is realistic, the media loves that "Worst case number" we have had 20'+ predicted here and gotten 12-15' so just be prepared anyways, glad HRP is far enough inland for wind etc, but anyone 40 miles from the coast better be out of there, even 90-100 miles inland its going to be rough, the rain will be the worst part for sure. Stay safe and be smart, best of luck from Houston.

23. rjones35

rjones35

Stay safe out there!!

BigO, 50 customcoupe and Stogy like this.
  24. catdad49

catdad49

It's going to a rough weekend for all of us along the southeastern coast, some more than others. Praying that there is a limited loss of life from this storm. Please Be Safe HAMBers.

25. One man's fortune is another man's fate...

It appears as if we might have a change in the forecast for the better, but that's at the expense of our southern neighbors. Palmetto State residents better buckle up...looks like Flo is gonna run the SC table from Myrtle Beach to Clemson (east to west). Same for the NC Sandhills, Charlotte and the southern mountains!!

26. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Latest report is massive flooding and high winds.
    Probably too late but
    If you are loading your families belongings (or HAMB toys) and heading inland there is lots of fairly reasonable lock up storage in my area.
    Be safe....

27. We had Irene in 2011, left us a bit of a mess, it hung a left and then headed upstate NY... decimation! It slowed to a crawl and then dumped all the water it sucked up over the ocean. There were small towns practically washed off the map. We are feeling the effects here in Long Island, been almost steady rain since last Thursday.

28. @lo c dan Yep, what I've seen! Prayers for SC!