Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Instrument Panel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lake_harley, Sep 10, 2018.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I will be retaining the stock fuel tank in my '31 Coupe. I want to upgrade to better (more) gauges and would be curious if anyone could post examples of how they've accomplished that with the limited space available in the stock Model A panel mounted to the back of the fuel tank.

I'm not too concerned with an ammeter or voltmeter, but do want oil pressure, water temp and a speedometer (or tach). Gauges I've researched are too "deep" to fit into the recess in the fuel tank using a stock panel. I bought an extra panel at a swap meet, but guessed wrong on the "early" vs "late" style that my car uses. I thought perhaps I could deepen the panel to allow for the gauges but would rather not butcher decent parts, especially ones that couldn't work in my car anyway.

I saw an A roadster at the HAMB drags that had aftermarket speedo, oil pressure and water temp in a stock panel. The speedo was in the stock speedo's location and the O.P. and W.T were on the right and left sides of the panel. Holes had been enlarged to fit the gauges, which seemed simple enough, but in talking with the owner I found out the gas tank had been cut out to allow for the gauge's depth.

So, any ideas or examples? I'm thinking of perhaps a fabricated panel that would mount behind the top dash trim panel but be out far enough to clear the backs of gauges, and be shaped to fit against the back of the fuel tank.

Thanks, in advance, for input.

Lynn

2. badshifter

badshifter

I did that on my 29. I made the stock original dash IMG_2922.jpg IMG_2920.jpg panel slightly deeper by pie cutting it and adding about 3/4 inch on the bottom. That allowed a Stewart Warner speedo, ignition and light switches while using the original gas gauge. I then made a lower pod to mount the oil and water gauges. I'm running a generator so I have a light for the gen if it fails.
    Pretty simple stuff.

osage orange, dwollam, ABONES and 4 others like this.
  3. Ford28

Ford28

Don’t know anything about the make of the dash but looks cool! 02D5F9B4-37B9-4F56-9D45-FA5EFE53884F.png

Shutter Speed likes this.
  4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I have a wood dash panel, mounted to the dash rail screws. The gauges then mount to an aluminum panel screwed onto the wood panel. I run Oil Press, Vacuum, Water Temp & Volts. The original tank is still in place behind this, and up until now I've been using it. I'm just now finishing up installing a new tank in back, and the stock tank is no longer connected to the engine. But it's till there. 20150903_181817.jpg

Shutter Speed likes this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks to each of you. With no disrespect to the other solutions, badshifter's solution is the closest to what I liked about the car's instrument panel that I saw at the HAMB drags and might try to accomplish myself. The pie cut might prove to be a challenge but I like that it still retains the stock look.

Lynn

6. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Here's mine....similar to badshifter's. I'm also using a 2" tach on a steering column mount from Bert's Model A in Denver

DSC00017.JPG

7. banjorear

banjorear

Another trick is mount them under the tank with a pod using the "seam" between the side of the cowl and bottom of the tank. Keeps them out of the way, but within view while driving.

8. D2Denny

D2Denny

Try SpeedHut gauges. They are much thinner and will fit in a standard A dash. DSCN2053.JPG

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Try a company called, Mikes A Fordable Parts, 1-888-879-6453. They have two types listed, part no. A-6537-D and A-6538BC. Both are accessory gauge holders.

5window likes this.
  10. Temp and oil press. on stock panel, mechanical tach on column, and had an amp down low next to panel under gauge cluster. Stock fuel tank.
    cars & coffee 07.jpg

BRENT MAGGI and barrnone50 like this.
  11. Those are known as an "Aristocrat" dash panel.

12. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Sorry I don't have a better pic. What you don't see is the panel I cut out of the bottom of the tank, hinged so it folds down and mounted fuse and relay blocks to it. Everything is contained in the old tank.
    [​IMG]

akoutlaw and barrnone50 like this.
  13. In addition to hanging them under the stock panel they make a mount that goes around the steering column (try Bratton's Ford Parts, (301) 829-9880). I have also seen them installed in the right hand kick panel. The problem is you need to take your eyes off of the road to read the gauges. Use the stock speedometer, I doubt you will be driving over 80 MPH very often. Keep the stock ammeter, if you need over 20 amps put a shunt across the two terminal at the back of the ammeter or run a second wire from the generator to the far side of the ammeter thus creating a shunt. The ammeter will read low but just remember that when looking at it.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_5338 (1).jpg
    IMG_5339 (1).jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    barrnone50 likes this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

LOL, I exceed 80 mph quite frequently........

Stogy likes this.
  15. It's no wonder that the fenders blew off of your AVATAR. I probably should have said if your car is safe to drive over 80 MPH and you do it frequetly.

Charlie Stephens

Stogy and Blues4U like this.
  16. Metal Mover

Metal Mover
    from Jamul CA

Boo billet, but love my 29 roadster I've had since January 65, did a rebuild late 70's. Tank had already been removed but I dig the original shape of the gauge panel, had the the speedo rebuilt and worked fine. Did anyother rebuild and added the gps speedo/tach and added the two hanging clusters, I wanted to retain the sweet looking gas tank housing.
    IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG IMG_0974.JPG

osage orange likes this.
  17. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

my 28 roadster has a 32 dash welded to the dash rail then a stewart warner panel mounted to that. the tank has a recess cut into it to allow room for gages.

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks for all of the great ideas and varieties of solutions. I appreciate it. Those SpeedHut gauges at 1.1" depth are quite a bit less depth than any other gauges I've found. A bit pricier than a "regular" gauge, but it would be a simple solution to the space/depth limitations.

Lynn

19. The Aristocrat panel fits over the stock model a panel to add two lower gauges.

Phil

20. Are you sure it fits over the stock Model A panel, I thought it replaced it?

Charlie Stephens

21. When I installed one in my 31 I put it over the stock panel. Then the mounting bracket was there for the stock speedo. The Aristocrat has nothing on the back side.

That's the way I remember it from 25 years ago.

Phil

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I use the stock panel with Oil Pressure and Water Temp either side of the key. The gauges were a real cheap set of 3 (don't use the 3rd whatever it was) from Pep Boys I believe. It was 25 years or so ago. I've got a mini Tach above the steering wheel set into the windshield header panel. Easier to see there than looking down on the column.

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

30 years ago I used an electrician's hole punch to put 2.125" holes where the key and ammeter were..
    I ran thin, 12v, oil and temp gauges along with the stock speedo and gas gauge...

24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Can you show the mini tach you use? I've never liked looking down at the column for the tach, even if it is traditional, it's a pain in the ass. I've thought about mounting one up on the dash rail, and have looked around for pics of others who have done that, but haven't found any.

25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's the Dash . . . Dash.jpg

26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Header.jpg

Here's the Tach. It says RPM, but I don't believe that's the brand name . . .

27. lake_harley

lake_harley

Stan Back.....are those mechanical gauges or electric? Just looking at the photos with nothing to really compare for size, it looks like your gauges might be 1 1/2" rather than 2"-ish gauges? I'd be perfectly happy if I can fit gauges like that in the stock panel.

Lynn

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Thanks. I misread your post, I was thinking it was on the dash rail, that's where I think I'd like it. Right in the line of sight.

29. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

With a 5" chop, it's not far from your regular forward vision view. This car isn't a drag racer so I don't worry about RPM much anyway.

I haven't looked in years (as the gauges have worked worry-free any way), but I'd guess that they're electric, taking up less space for routing. I've already got the 10-gallon bomb in front of me – I don't need to add hot oil to the center.

30. BRENT MAGGI

BRENT MAGGI

What size gauges are those?