Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a radio in your Hot Rod or Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 27, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes, I do but it doesn't work

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Yes, I do but I never turn it on

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, I would rather hear the engine

165 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. sololobo

sololobo

I just put a unit in my glove box of Verla Kay my 66 Chevy c-10, put a pairf nice speakers under the dash, but on the HiWay the noise just ets you hear a few highlights and some bass. Great around town however. I am going for some speaker mounts on the kick panels and possibly a set wooofer speakers under the seat. Love the sound of my exhaust and mill but also a music freak, hope to get it working out.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  2. nickk

nickk

1930 coupe, hot rod, early 60s GM radio under the dash. A.M. only, pretty much a lot of Mexican music, but I still listen to it. As a musician I'm ALWAYS listening to music.

3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Who the hell wants to listen to the radio when you can listen to a 409 like in my case or a hemi, nailhead, hopped up flatty or caddy??!! Radios are for new cars!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me.

My new build has a blown Hemi, a ton of sound deadening, and will have about 2000W of 5-channel audio, oh, and AC.

chevy57dude likes this.
  5. So, not building a (traditional or otherwise) hot rod, I gather ?

6. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

[​IMG]

How’s this for a stereo. Also have a vibrasonic

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I build what I want, not what I am told to build.

The day that someone else gets a say in one of my builds, is the day they hire me to build it, for them.

Building your own car, your own way, is traditional. Building your own car, the way that it has been dictated to you is conformity.

Hot rodding is not, and has never been about conformity.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would, but my tunnel is too narrow.

9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Just the stock Delco AM, we still have good oldies stations in Pittsburgh..

10. Sorry gimpy, didn't really mean to get you riled up. :(
    Just forgot to add appropriate signs of sarcastic humor, I guess. :D

P.S. After having been close to 45* years personally into "it", along with most other aspects of vintage car building/rebuilding hobby, I believe I have some idea what (traditional & non-) "hot rodding" is or isn't. :)

*Damn, that makes feel and sound old. :(
    Or at least more than that "almost 39" I try to convince others to believe. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  11. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Yes when I was a teen all my cars had radios . Or I installed a radio and tape player. They didn'y sound great but I had tunes. Today all I want to listen to is the engine.

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Just 8 speakers, all 4.030 in diameter

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. I guess I should add, IF they came with a stock radio as an option (whether or not it was installed from the dealer) I'll put one in. The ones that didn't have a radio option at all, don't get one.........I guess the point is I don't like cutting a dash, filling up a glovebox or have hokey under dash units. That said if I'm not restoring them yet and they already have holes for speakers/radios then as long as it's old looking with old parts then ok.

Clear as mud.....right?

14. Two thousand Watts. OMG.
    The 700W system I crammed into the El is thunderous. I cannot imagine..

15. Not that I really care, but that must something close to what those modern day lowriders and p**p-mobiles have when they attempt to blow eardrums off anyone with shooting range ?

16. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Right now mine has an AM/FM radio and a couple of 4x7’s (from an OT daily at one time) but will eventually get a Bluetooth with amp and some better speakers. While I like the sound of a V8 rumbling, it’s fun to listen to some good tunes to get you going.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

17. yeah,..mine has a 350 cu.in. radio, the speakers are behind the rear tires below the fenders...

18. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Deuce highboy has Sirius XM so there is no channel changing from Texas to wherever. Long distances are boring without tunes. Since I'm deaf from 40 years on the railroad, I wear earplugs in order to hear my music and drown out the HP-2 rumble and slight wind noise at maximum speed. Conversation is out of the question, and that has its benefits. Hope my sweet wife doesn't read this ! LOL

19. wicarnut

wicarnut

When all my sons got their cars at 16, they all worked, bought their cars, and the big radios was their deal, daughters not, amazes me they can hear anything as an adult. when they came home it was not the cars pipes, it was their radio noise as the base would make the windows vibrate. A friend of mine had to move his kids car to get his out to go to work, gets in it, fires it up, in gear (manual trans car) the radio made him flinch, dumps clutch, jumps gas, backs into daughters car, funny story, but he was not laughing when telling it, from that time on his kids had assigned parking place in his yard.

20. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

21. jazz1

jazz1

Yes, and cup holders and a heater.

fullsizeoutput_7a8.jpeg

22. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

D2AC3BA1-950C-4495-BF96-CDEFCB7859A7.jpeg Yep, a radio in mine. The ‘37 has a period aftermarket Firestone control head adaped to a modern AM/FM unit. My Cad has the original radio updated with more modern components and a input to accept mp3 or phone.

Not that I care how traditional it is to have a radio, but I remember radios in hot rods as long as I have been into them since the late ‘50s.

Rramjet1 likes this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have this Philco head that I use the switch to turn off and on the stereo in the glovebox in my 37. I do have a complete radio with a similar head that I am going to see if I can get a shaft radio in and controlled by the head if I ever get the time.

Attached Files:

Rramjet1, 32Dan and jazz1 like this.
  24. Arominus

Arominus

A lot of cheap amps juice the ratings or use millisecond peaks, so you see big numbers.

I plan to run a 5 channel setup (4.1) using a JL audio xd700/5 in my desoto, going to hide it, along with a small sub under the back deck. I’m going to rig the turn on wire to fire when the factory radio is turned on. The input will be a Bluetooth receiver feeding the amp via my phone. I’ll have no visible stereo gear outside of the normal rear deck 6x9s and 2 speakers in the kick panels. No car mods required!

Something like this would let a lot of you skip the bulky headunit and just stash this even in a small car. It’s conformal coated internally too so it doesn’t mind water as much.
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113M1824BT/Kenwood-KAC-M1824BT.html

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  25. How do you drive without a radio?
    Can it be done?

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

26. '46 Ford- expensive radio- never turn it on-
    '63 Falcon- radio but not hooked up-
    '66 Ford PU- radio but not hooked up-

27. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

I plan to put one on mine, 1949 Automatic M90 that was on my grandpa's F-100 now going in my Hot Rod truck, right now it doesn't work, but i'll try fixing it later.
    [​IMG]
    My plan for the dash, already have all the parts, if i can't make the radio work it will at least look cool...
    [​IMG]

28. bondolero

bondolero

Iheartradio and a Marshall wireless speaker box with earphones

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well we all know my skank ain't done yet, but I will indeed have a radio. In today's vernacular, a "system" to be sure. I want an amp, subs, CD player and maybe even satellite capability. I may not always use it, I may use it a lot, will depend on the moment for sure but I love good tunes. Actually I can't wait to roll in somewhere blasting something moderately 'off topic' to the usual suspects. Think "American Badass" by Kid Rock, or maybe "Next Episode" by Dre n Snoop. Then again it might be "Luck Be A Lady" by Frank, or the 1 song that's impossible to be played too loud, "Lowrider" by War. Yeah, can't wait...