Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration your car-your town

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 12, 2015.

1. F&J

F&J

Thanks, I will never leave here.. I just did a long pic post of my neighboring town historic area on this thread below...you should like it...This spot is the FIRST place I ever went to on my first ever shakedown run with my 32 after I finally got it registered! I like history and the New England scenic views..It is just minutes from my home...
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/god-bless-all-our-veterans-this-weekend.1108701/

Hank37, tb33anda3rd and NWRustyJunk like this.
  2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Yes sir! Those pictures on the other thread are great also. I bet you get those vibrant fall colors in your neck of the woods too? Just beautiful country, with so much history.

F&J likes this.
  3. The closest "town" to me is 3 miles away, a modern gas station, an old store and restaurant.

Six miles in the other direction is Oregon City, OR located on the Willamette River, near the southern end of the Portland metro area. Established in 1829 by Hudson Bay Co. Then in 1844 became first incorporated city west of the Rockies. Capitol of Oregon from 1848 until 1851, then moved to Salem.

This is the start of the original downtown area which is about about 8 blocks long.

DSC00346 2017-09-12 downtown OC 2.jpg

A couple miles north of Oregon City is the little town Gladstone. Cute 1930's town that still has some mom and pop stores. There's a 'restored' Flying A gas station there that's really a sign shop.

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

Here's an inlet from the Clackamas River that separates Oregon City and Gladstone which the newer part is seen on the other side of the water.

DSC00917.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. rudestude

rudestude

Years ago went to a Rod Run in Oregon City or in that area anyways it was at a old drive in theatre lots of fun old movies playing... I like the old elevator in Oregon City that takes you , I guess it's down town , up the rock bluff to up town... I haven't been over that way in quite a while don't know if it's still in operation....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and F&J like this.
  5. The elevator is an attraction now.
    Very nice with lots of history murals.
    Good view of the river from there.

[​IMG]

Stogy, Bowtie Coupe, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  6. Król

Król

Frank your photos remind me how West Rocky Hill used to look back in the fifties.

TFoch, Bowtie Coupe and F&J like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada

Used to be the town of Hershey...now it's the town of Weed...well and a few other things...:D

0_20180611_193413.jpg

What a beautiful Day...;)

tr_rodder, Lil32, Hank37 and 10 others like this.
  8. For all the philatelist out there Sir Rolland Hill, the father of the Penny Black postage stamp, and his statue, a postbox and a metal plaque of the stamp on the post, and my
    little old truck in my town Center.
    fullsizeoutput_b4.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  9. In front of my "other" favorite pizza joint.

40ma4.jpg

tr_rodder, Hank37, MO_JUNK and 11 others like this.
  10. F&J

F&J

Yesterday was pretty darn hot and I have been pouring hand mixed concrete for my new rooftop deck...towards evening I had a strong need to take the hotrod out to...meet and greet. I keep saying that I meet 1000 people per month...maybe that is true :)

I was heading to a walking trail lot in the north west part of town, but I then felt a stronger need to stop at the Eagleville dam for the 2nd eve in a row.. I sat there a while and never saw or hear this car pull in right next to me..until I turned around..DOH !!

DSCN0574.JPG
    Ok, I knew the car from when I was involved with the recent Coventry, CT Memorial day parade and this 32 Plymouth was leading my two doodlebugs in the lineup of that event. I did talk with the owner a lot that Memorial day, he said got the car about 20 years ago from an uncle that last had it registered in 1971 in nearby city of Willimantic. This visit, I asked if the uncle bought it new in 1932.. The son claims yes, the Dad says "not 100% sure on that".
    DSCN0575.JPG
    ^^ if you look directly above the back end of that black Cougar, that is "Andy's" eclectic home with her rooftop "widows walk" deck with an antique spiral staircase that she found in a local backyard here in town. Her place gave me the desire to do the same to my home, and I did end up with a steel spiral staircase, too! :)
    DSCN0576.JPG
    ^^the owner in the hat, with his son above. Their two families were returning from an ice cream trip to Coventry across this river and saw my car, and then pulled in to "meet the owner"....>> ME. lol...he never knew I had other cars besides the doodlebugs in the parade. That day he said he lives in Storrs, which is actually UConn...but, I now find out he lives right here in Eagleville, a tiny section of my town of Mansfield. He told me that "anything on this side of the river, he calls it "Storrs". Makes no sense to me, but "whatever works for him" he he .. :)
    DSCN0579.JPG DSCN0580.JPG DSCN0581.JPG
    ^^ after our long visit, during which both wives and both grandkids walked back to his home nearby, he and his son with the Cougar, also headed home..

DSCN0582.JPG
    I stayed a bit longer at sunset, here are some Mallard ducks at the sandbar...

DSCN0588.JPG
    ^^ as I walked back down from the top of the dam, the resident Heron flew in to the top of the waterfall to fish...

By the way, I had a stock 1932 Plymouth convertible coupe from 1986 to 1991. I always liked convertible coupes with roll up windows because then the "driving season" is longer with our chilly temps here in spring and autumn..

tr_rodder, Hank37, Dave Mc and 4 others like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

honest...I tried to behave myself tonight,... but ......
    DSCN0653.JPG

just one cruiser, right?...well, .....er...um...

DSCN0652.JPG
    ooops..

...and that's an unmarked one in front of mine, blocking me in..

Dave Mc, brad2v and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Ok, that was just a fun pic when I spotted them on their coffee break in the last post above.

Here are some pics of a beautiful evening with a nice breeze like at the ocean. Hay is being cut and it is premium stuff.
    DSCN0630.JPG DSCN0628.JPG

also caught a weird mini rainbow even though it was not raining anywhere..
    DSCN0639.JPG DSCN0635.JPG DSCN0643.JPG DSCN0642.JPG DSCN0650.JPG

second evening of vivid colors... below is last night at the dam...epic views there..
    DSCN0600.JPG

MO_JUNK, Hamtown Al, OL 55 and 7 others like this.
  13. F&J

F&J

well...so much for the "Thursday Nite Thunder" show tonight... I "was" too f'n beat to wash the damn thing and now look!!
    DSCN1113.JPG
    Pouring rain, drivers window down, screw it...

Ah, I will take it out later to dry it off...as this was yet another "possible passing shower" that we've had for so many days, and more days to come.. It is letting up right now, and I miss driving it.

Check out my nearly new, UConn street light I got (broken) at the local scrapyard...and to the far left, the steel supports are going up for my rooftop deck I am building with a steel spiral staircase I also got all of that there..

I plan on using free garage door opener motor/tracks, to build a food elevator because a large stainless steel firepit with cast iron claw feet is going up there too.. you can see a bit of it in the foreground.

14. There's been some nasty storms coming through New England today. Hope you can dry it out!

F&J likes this.
  15. F&J

F&J

Just a bit of thunder, no wind or hail, but heavy downbursts of rain. The car started fine because I pulled back the old Badger chrome spark plug covers FIRST! It skips like crazy if I don't. See them below, still pulled back to dry out:
    DSCN1132.JPG
    This was my second place I went tonight, first I went to the Eagleville dam, tried putting them back on there, but it barely would run.. It is just way too humid to dry anything! Oh, this is "Horsebarn hill" at UConn. I stopped first to get ice cream that is made right here, I hit & jumped a curb really hard with both right tires...I was trying to see if the dairy bar had closed...and messed up. LOL..no flats though :) ^^^Ohhh, I like pink..:) she was blonde, too;), maybe 40s, but the brunette was 50s and could not stop staring at the 32 & me (I fantasize, ok?) LOL

below is the main drag at campus..I took this pic to show where two weeks ago, I see a satin black low riding early 50s chevy pickup coming over that hill towards me. I had a few cars hugging my back end, but the road was clear in front of that truck, so I swerved completely onto his side of the road!...then yanked it back right before we hit:cool: We both had raised fists, but who knows what the other drivers thought:p
    DSCN1120.JPG

ok, back to where I sat at the hill... I thought I heard horse hooves on tar? Sure enough, 5 horses came by which has never happened there before. These are not Campus academic students, I am fairly sure they are taking riding lessons on UConn's many horses. This was Sooo cool as when those high strung horses got out in the pasture, they raced!! .....up that hill like I could not believe. FasT! It was exiciting to see just how powerful they were..The second pic down, shows the middle horse had just hit a big water spot and you can see the splash just settling down..
    DSCN1121.JPG DSCN1122.JPG

We had a very rare weather related event happen while I was there.. There was a fog or mist, that would rise up between the hills and trees, then get swept away in the constant breezes here...then it would repeat.. Very rare occurrence.
    DSCN1129.JPG

then I decided to head home, but take the huge circular loop road through the farms areas. But I stopped to take another pic of that mist rising...saw a car coming behind...ooops Johhny Law! he pulls right next to me and stops!
    DSCN1135.JPG
    He was by far, the youngest UConn officer I have seen. He was just wanting to see the car and ask what year. Nice friendly guy. I told him it is an old type hotrod, but "I don't fool around here(drive fast), I just really like the farms"

DSCN1136.JPG
    He's taking off, so I pulled out and continued on real slow...

Then over the rise, I see him way ahead, but he's backing up...
    DSCN1137.JPG
    ^^^he was just looking at some fairly newborn calves.. :)

I passed by slow, and he was staying put..

I stopped way up the road to get the full moon over the silos on the abandoned old colonial road that heads to the abandoned ski tow slope..He stops to talk with me AGAIN! Wanted to know what make of car, and then asked "what kind of license plates are those?" Ok, I had to tell him the State Statutes on YOM plates :) . Shit, everyone in my area is so darn friendly.. I freakin love my town, and county.
    DSCN1138.JPG DSCN1139.JPG

ok, then TRY to go home? Nope, I see the same yellow MG in front of Dunkin Donuts, so I stopped to chat with the owner about my age, who just hangs around there on a laptop & food.. Nice guy, he came out to see the 32... Oh...I forgot to get a better pic of the newest style of UConn lightpoles like mine, in this "new area"...I kinda was distracted by that blonde at the white car, she's maybe 30-ish in the epic short shorts.. :oops: I love being SINGLE too!:cool:
    DSCN1141.JPG DSCN1142.JPG

Oh, and I asked for two donuts...the sweet soul sistah kept calling me honey and gave me 3 extra ones for free,..because she said she was closing soon... or...maybe she liked me? (what an ass I am..)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    tr_rodder, Hank37, Dave Mc and 5 others like this.
  16. brad2v

brad2v

Good stuff Frank, as usual.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180909_191519.jpg

0_20180909_191432.jpg

0_20180909_191641.jpg

This is in Merrickville a quaint little town I do frequently visit with the Missus for a bite. A bit of a touristy place along the Rideau Canal...a Civil Wartime UNESCO site...

In the last pic just overtop the hood area of the Ole Hotrod is a Structure called a Blockhouse which was a military guardhouse in case of attack when times were let's say...a little different...;)

Also the other two buildings are both circa 1856 the smaller being a former Bank and the larger building was a General Store

Another interesting fact was a fella by the name of William Merrick, originally from Springfield, Massachusetts, founded the village of Merrickville in 1794

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrickville–Wolford

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rideau_Canal

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    tr_rodder, Lil32, Hank37 and 13 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180913_195638.jpg

Downtown Smiths Falls
    Ontario, Canada

Near asleep at 8:30pm

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    tr_rodder, Lil32, Hank37 and 9 others like this.
  20. William Merrick, wasn't that the "Elephant Man?" How old is that stone building? It looks great.

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  21. The "Elephant Man" was named Joseph Merrick, called John Merrick in the movie, so different guy.

<Mick

Stogy likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's the Inn your referring to and it is Circa 1860... @Bowtie Coupe

http://www.baldachin.com

The town is smaller but reminiscent of 'Niagara on the Lake' not far from Niagara falls.

Merrickville is closer to Ottawa, Ontario however.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  23. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My 53 Coupe Deville - small ( 30 cars ) Car Show @ the Carson Mall = Carson City , Nevada
    IMG_1082.JPG

Lil32, MO_JUNK, Fern 54 and 7 others like this.
  24. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

3326910-36edba34c64dbeba253753ae8be5ba7e.jpg Early pic, of "shrimp boat", in Montgomery Al.

tr_rodder, MO_JUNK, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

3326908-2ca4c845ac5a3aba63d6beb48c18c7b7.jpg later pic, of "Shrimp boat", in Wetumpka Al

Fern 54, F&J and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. To quote that great secret agent, Maxwell Smart, "missed it by that much!!":D:D

lothiandon1940, tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  27. Yes, that's the one. 1860, wow, it looks great. We recently had some horrific flooding in my historic town and the local government has decided to raze a number of buildings that are over several hundred years old and were still in use as stores, taverns, and restaurants in order to mitigate any future flooding. Unbelievable!! It's a historic town. People come there because it's a historic town and now you're going to remove the history. Who came up with that bright idea?

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That does suck...hope they reconsider. Lot of historic towns full of stone buildings around here. Gotta be another way...

29. The town was founded in the 1700s. The decision to raze the buildings has really fired up the citizenry, but I'm not sure that massive complaints will sway the current decision. From what I can tell, the new plan will not prevent flooding, but the buildings won't be in the way to become ravaged by the flooding. The real stupid part of this decision is that many of the businesses already have repaired the flood damage and have reopened their businesses. Now, the town wants to tear them down. Unbelievable! You're right. There's got to be another way. I haven't been up your way for many years. Glad to hear that many of the old, stone buildings remain.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. When my wife was in Virginia for her job, we would love to go to Ellicott City for the great antique shops and restaurants. What a shame to not preserve the history.

Mick

Bowtie Coupe and Stogy like this.