Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest You have $500 in parts for a future project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Sep 8, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I rented a garage for a few years but hope to not do it again.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

True, it is a lot like automotive wiring. Bob

3. Outside of some engines, transmissions, clutches and bellhousings, I'm not sitting on a ton of stuff. The engines are like $$ in the bank. I have extra parts for my Ford which I have to start finding new homes for.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you rent a storage unit, you will be married to it. Trust me.

jazz1 likes this.
  5. Cymro

Cymro

If previous generations of car guys hadn't stored stuff, we would have nothing to play with today.

RICH B and The37Kid like this.
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I keep parts for vehicles I have but when I sell one I usually start selling off the parts.

7. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Tough to pay for storage, but on the other hand...
    I have a couple of acres and several out buildings. They never seem to be empty. Bought out the remainder of Dick Spardaro's inventory a few years, still have a large part of it I don't need in the basement. The basement is supposed to be reserved for the smaller 32 stuff that I don't want to keep in the sheds. I don't retire until at least next year but I hope to get some of the stuff I don't need into the right hands before then.
    Problem is the phone seems to ring at least once a month with " hey do you buy old car parts?..." DSCN4698.JPG DSCN4697.JPG DSCN4699.JPG DSCN4700.JPG DSCN4701.JPG DSCN4702.JPG DSCN4703.JPG

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    enloe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. After loosing my fiance to cancer in 2013... I also lost my house.... Garage... and Roadster!

Before I lost all of that I started collecting some parts for the next build like my Quickchange... Deuce grill... Headers and Dual quad. I bought these at the right price and some parts I had Custom built for the last Roadster that couldn't easily be replaced so I borrowed a corner of my brother in laws garage until I got back on my feet again and I'm so glad I could store it for nothing or I would have lost that as well!

This saved my dreams as well as a ton of money on these specific key parts. I knew that I could get the other stuff when ever the time was right and that fell into place as well.

9. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Car and part collecting is a disaese. death is the only known cure! At least that's what my wife tells me. I guess if I could afford more storage I'd probly just have more projects and I already can't keep up.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As bad as I need storage I wouldn't pay for a storage unit except for short term to stash stuff while I tore down the fallen down shed where a lot of it is and build my shop. We rented a storage unit for a couple of months years ago when we moved out of a house and had to stay with my mom for a while before the people renting this house moved out. That was the simple way but it was for under 2 months.
    I drove back and forth past a storage unit where a guy had a couple of late 50's big fin Chrysler coupes sitting outside. Who knows what he has paid over the past ten years or so that they have been there.
    When I get things sorted out and the parts for the ongoing projects in their respective cabinets or shelves there is going to be a big load headed to the swap meet in the spring. A lot of bought and didn't use, a lot of saved and never used. I've got stuff in one shed I know I haven't seen or handled in over 35 years but it was "someday" stuff that I thought was too good to get rid of at the time.

Hnstray and The37Kid like this.
  11. Notable that not one person in this 2 page thread even asked the OP what it was that he's going to chuck out. As in ''we'll take it".

wingnutz and Hnstray like this.
  12. My problem is I have 10,000 parts for everyone else's project and nothing currently cooking for myself.

enloe and partsdawg like this.
  13. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Maybe that 12step program is paying off for me then!

Hnstray and chevy57dude like this.
  14. OLDTINPUSHER

OLDTINPUSHER

Trying to learn from past indiscretions.
    You should see photos of the sheds, back acre, etc, etc.
    Actually they look better then a few years ago. The Spardaro buy out alone was about 15 truck loads. Just can't stand to see good old stuff go to China..

chevy57dude likes this.
  15. As a side note to anyone storing stuff on or off your own premises... Get something in writing!

If anyone were to rent a place to store cars or parts... they should get something in writing.

My friend lost everything because the property owner passed away and my friend wasn't aware of his passing did not contact him for over a year and a half.

When he went to pull the car out of the garage he was met by the new home owner and he asked for his car and the home owner told him that everything was auctioned off 11 months ago.

My friend seeing everything was gone went to the police and they asked if he had something in writing and Kenny said "no" and the police said that there was public notice about his death and another notice about the auction and since he didn't have any paperwork the car and all his stuff was legally sold at auction.

Cover your ass-etts... Get something in writing!

jazz1 and enloe like this.
  16. My parents live in a big house in the city
    Lots of storage, been there almost 40 years

They are in there 70’s now and joke about down sizing and that it would be easier to sell the house “ complete” food in the fridge, clothes in the closet etc... and start from scratch then even attempt to go through everything and pack it up.

I payed for storage space for a few months when we where in between houses and it bugged the hell out of me paying for “ space “ for my stuff and things,

The37Kid likes this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I might be an hoarder:D. Fortunately I have room to store. Unfortunately I am about out of room. Decision time to sell or slow down my hoarding habit. Logical reasoning is to sell parts I don't have a project for. :D Mmmmm

The37Kid likes this.
  18. I'd like to know the $500 dollar part that you can't find room for at home ? Five hundred bucks doesn't get you much in today's day and age.

enloe and The37Kid like this.
  19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

so this stuff is scrap and or throw away stuff,
    and you pay storage fees on it?

I thought I was bad

chevy57dude likes this.
  20. I rented a storage unit for a couple years after a rented garage collapsed onto all my stuff, disheartened I didn't want to know anything about cars during that time. Thankfully I did store it because eventually I got back into it and still had all my stuff, but it was more than $500 bucks.
    Screenshot_20180910-154404_Photobucket.jpg

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  21. X-cpe

X-cpe

I'm in that age bracket and every now and then tell my wife we should just cut the end off the house and garage. tip them up, let every thing slide into a huge dumpster and start over again.

jazz1 and enloe like this.