Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1961 impala ss

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61art, Sep 7, 2018.

1. 61art

61art

• The elusive 1961 impala SS is very unique, because their is no assign SS code on accessories. (or is there?) Therefore you can buy SS emblems, grab bar(oh shit bar), front bumper install them and call it a super sport and nobody would know the difference. And I could go one even better and have a GM certified mechanic tech install them and it would be officially an SS. if I'm wrong please help me see the light.
    • thoughts

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. The real question is if a man has a sex change operation is he still a man?

The SS package was not a dealer option so the only way I could call it an SS in good conscience even if I had a factory technician install all the SS parts would be to take it back to the factory and have it completely disassembled and reassembled as an SS. Even if I had the proper build sheet it would not match the car would it.

Just food for thought you could paint it purple and call it Eugene if you wanted to and I wouldn't care.

Now here is one for you. I know a guy that has a '61 Impala all original, never repainted even. It has Belaire tail lights and not the more desirable Impala tail lights. He bought it from the original owner so he knows for a fact that it came that way.

belair, 302GMC, pwschuh and 2 others like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. I believe that the hole in the dash board that held the inside ( towards the middle of car) fastener for grab bar was oval. That might be hard to fake accurately and undetectably . BUT it wouldn’t show unless taken apart.

5. 61art

61art

I have heard that the oval hole was the only way to tell.
    I have heard that the oval hole was the only way to tell. So yes we will replace a hole.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

As long as it is for yourself , go for it. Selling it and claiming something is that is really not might get you into a can of worms and you don't want to be on the end of the hook.

7. If it mattered enough to you, maybe a 62 SS dash would have the oval hole? Sure would be a lot easier to find.

belair likes this.
  8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

It'll never be a real SS, no matter who installs the parts....Not a fan of cloning. Be happy with what you have...

belair, Mr48chev and 61Cruiser like this.
  9. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

This has the makings of a future ass whipping..o_O

10. I always assume any “rare” version of a car is a fake/clone.

belair, Mr48chev and partsdawg like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And to quote Judge Judy "My parents didn't send me to law school for seven years to".........
    be hearing people pissing and moaning over an oval shaped hole.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    61Cruiser likes this.
  12. 61art

61art

Was looking for more evidence. Not just a "don't do it" "it's fake" or "you'll get you butt kicked". If you have a accessories code plate post it.

13. Deuces

Deuces

giphy.gif

14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Weren't all 61 SS cars 409s? Didn't they only build Like a 149 of em?

15. I'm not sure if all SS cars are 409's but not all 409's were SS cars. On the 348-409 site there was a thread about a 61 409 block that was found in the weeds near an old barn. The guy had it on e-pay for tall money and the block was basically wasted. Some time later a guy joins the forum and he's got a 61 that was the cheapest model possible , like taxi cab but 2dr, that was known to be a real 409 car, turns out that block was from his car! Last I heard they hadn't come to terms the guy with the block still wanted way too much$$.

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

To the best of my knowledge;) The 409 was introduced very late in 1961, using modified? 348 blocks?? Very old memories from reading articles written by Doug Marrion from Super Chevy in the early 80s

17. 61 409 had it's own casting #

18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I did this supposed trickery backward.
    I was driving a 59 El Camino. I built a 420 inch, 409 for it. Ported heads, forged pistons, Howard (the "original" Howard Cams) cam, a GM single four barrel manifold manifold, which at the time was very difficult to come by.
    Anyway, I decided that I didn't want to put the engine into the El Camino, so I went looking for a 61 or 62 Impala. A very LONG story short, I found a nice 1961 Impala, 283, Powerglide. The engine was junk, even with fairly low miles.

In went the 420/409, a switch pitch T-400. A LOT of suspension changes, a redone, sorta stock interior.

Then I thought, since the original badgeing for the 61, 348, could be...the SS grill and trunk badges, with the SS side badges. So, since I've got a big 409 under the hood, I found NOS grill and trunk badges and installed them. BUT...since the side badges also had SS as part of it, I didn't buy the side badges, even though the trunk did the SS's too.

So, there's my story about fibbing. If that bothers you...so be it.

On the other hand, back in the day, my dad had first a 62, 409 Impala and then later, a 65, 409 Impala.
    In very short order, both cars had 283 insignia's on the front fenders..!
    I had to make up for my dad's lying to the public..!

Mike

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  19. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

There seems to be a hell of a lot more 61 SS Impalas now than when they were new, what causes that? I agree with Beaner, if the owner is that much of a poser to "clone" a 61 SS I could give a shit less. Now if he tries to pawn it off as a real one and can't prove it that's when the problems start. I when with a buddy one time that was looking at a OT 396 Chevelle. Someone had done a decent Malibu make over but it was still a fake. The seller swore on his daughters life it was real and had a price to match. The guy was so dumb the title and cowl plate didn't even match! Then he said the title was a duplicate as the original was lost in a fire, what a dumbass! Before we left I told him to expect a visit from my brother-in-law that was a Hi-Way patrol officer. I was stuffing his boots , just wanted to see him sweat.:D

The little girl is alive and well to this day but her dad is still asshole:rolleyes:

belair and Deuces like this.
  20. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

All 61 SS cars were only available in the higher HP 348 and 409 with manual
    the 409 was introduced in Jan 61, if that's late in the model year,

visit the 348 409 forum to get more FACTS, the SS cars were factory, but dealers did fit badges etc on request.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I think a 61 409 is going to be the tough part to pull off. ;)

22. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 62 Impala with a 409. It has the correct dated engine. It did not come this way,and it will never be a true SS,or bubbletop,or original 409 car, but it sure is tempting. But really, who would be getting fooled?

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

24. Deuces

Deuces

I see no shame in it.... If it looks good and performs going down the road, then so be it! But I do agree on letting the buyer know it's a fake when it comes time to selling it!!!!.... ;)

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

[​IMG]

302GMC, Deuces and biscaynes like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The real 61 SS owners are very closed lip, for this very reason.

Deuces likes this.
  27. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Being a big fan of '61 Impalas since I was quite young, I have to say I would not want to buy an SS without some serious "provenance". Like history from day one.

belair and slowmotion like this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and I also have been a fan of the 61 Impala since the day they rolled out on the showroom floor. I read the article about the first one the magazines got their hands on being tested in England by Road And Track if memory serves right.
    This Super Chevy article says there were a total of 453 Built. http://www.superchevy.com/features/sucp-1004-1961-chevy-impala-ss/
    Still I am not a fan of clones of anything. I don't see an issue if the owner is honest and says " I always wanted one and couldn't buy one so I made one" but most clone owners try to pass the clone off as a real deal.
    A few years ago my best friend bought a pretty nice 69 Camaro for his daughter who was still in high school. He was parts manager at a local Chev dealership at the time and ordered every part that he needed to turn it into a Z28 She drove it for a while after he got it all together, wrecked it and after it was fixed he sold it. The guy who bought it from him sold it to another guy in that area and that guy argued to the point of wanting to fight guys who said it wasn't a real Z28 as they knew who built it and watched it go together.

29. Personally I would rather have a nice cosmetic clone of a rare model than a real one, I would probably go a long way to make it appear as a real whatever but not try to sell it it as one. The corvette people always want the rarest version but there are so many fakes that’s about all they talk about!