Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! Ideas for a challenging tank vent for my RPU.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m looking for ideas on what to do with my tank vent.

I’ve read just about everything I could find online on the subject here on the HAMB and elsewhere.

I’ve fitted my tank with a rollover vent from Tanks , but I’m at a loss for what to do with it from there.

I obviously can’t go upwards because there’s only about 2” of bed above the top of the tank.

What I’m wondering is what to do with the vent hose off the rollover valve barb and also wondering if I’m going to experience any gas smell from the vent :confused:

Anyone with a T with an exposed tank ?
    If so what did you do?

Anyone else have any ideas ?

I don’t see a lot of options with this thing.

608FC13F-ADEB-4237-985D-C46D0A3BAF31.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any thoughts guys?

3. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You only have 3 options as I see it. A) The only higher place is the cab and I don't think you want to run a vent line up the back of your cab. B) Pipe the overflow down somewhere, maybe through the floor. C) Plug that hole and vent your cap or install a breather in the overflow port. Be really careful when you fill up. I think this is your best option.

loudbang likes this.
  4. I've always used a vented cap on several cars with a similar tank in bed/or exposed on back tanks with no problem.

In this case it should work to run a hose off the vent and thru the floor and or lose the valve and run a metal line instead.

To avoid gas smell or possible heat expansion overflow in the garage, I usually leave the fuel level low when returning and fill up when leaving.

Anyway to find a shorter more automotive looking fitting on the fuel pick-up?

loudbang likes this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You know I’m starting to think that the thru the bottom of the bed option might be possible.

I was concerned that I might get fuel leakage or maybe even fuel siphoning out the vent however I don’t think that would happen based on the design of the rollover vent.

It is a 2 function vent in that when the fuel level is high there is a phenolic plastic check valve that floats (is pushed up) to close the valve.
    Below that is the steel ball that will shut the valve positively in the event of rollover.

In theory the valve should shut off the fuel to the vent when it’s high enough to cause siphoning and allow the tank to take in air as the fuel level drops.

So, unless I’m wrong I should be able to route the vent down below the top of the tank and not have a problem.

This picture shows a cutaway of the valve.

The fuel pickup fitting is a 1/4” NPT street elbow, NPT to 3/8” inverted flare is automotive and about as short as they come.

I will have a look for a different style fitting, I’m not sure what’s available.

7F81AAAB-E940-4CFF-8E6F-7EFABF26D6E4.jpeg 015A33A0-2CEE-486B-B156-69579C3644CD.jpeg EDA90BD7-D029-404F-8E9B-B3E30581F897.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  6. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

loudbang likes this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

I have a rollover valve/vent from Rock Valley in my car, and I just ran a line over to the side of the tank and down. It ends at the bottom of the frame rail. I've never seen any evidence of it leaking out fuel, or smelled any strong gas fumes from there. The car has plenty of other smells (including gas smells near the engine), but nothing strong from that vent/valve.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I have a plan. In formulating it I called my local buddy who also has a 27 RPU and asked him what he had done with his fuel vent.

His cars been on the road for a long time now and he just came off the vent valve and over a little bit and then down through the bottom of the bed.

Simple and easy and no problems :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Checkout vents for speed boats..

loudbang likes this.
  10. Something like an Edelmann 122640 or Weatherhead 402X6 are 1/4" NPT by 3/8" inverted flare 90 street els and are more automotive looking than the cast "house" looking version you have.
    Nothing wrong with it, sure it will be totally functional; but just one of those things that get noticed.

Blue One likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know what you mean, when that fitting was handed to me at the parts store I had my own reservations about the way it’s made and looks.

It’s sort of elegant looking rather than more robust or utilitarian in appearance.

I’m changing it out, my parts guy will have one of these for me tomorrow. :cool:

Fairview
    149-6B
    3/8 TUBE X 1/4 MALE PIPE

1BE41D5E-F57E-4FCE-96A2-28D62FD6D149.png

loudbang likes this.
  12. ^^^
    Yep; car part.:)

13. My t-bucket has a tiny hole (1/16) 20170819_130232.jpg in the cap, sometimes I wonder if it's even big enough to allow enough gas flow up to my carbs. My truck has the vent ran through the floor like you are talking about doing and honestly going under the back of the truck on a creeper I do smell it.
    FB_IMG_1502917079205.jpg

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  14. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

loudbang likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

89693219-B990-4017-AEF2-3BB8158C4F5B.jpeg
    Better.

My buddy doesn’t have a filter on his vent line and its not a problem.
    No filter for me :D

loudbang and RICH B like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, I decided that I didn’t want to use the hose barb on my rollover vent.

I picked up a brass 1/8 NPT coupler and took the valve apart for silver brazing.

Now I can plumb the vent with hard line. :cool:

96CF3DF8-0EFD-43D1-9B27-02E5F9959931.jpeg
    94D7BD8E-C0FC-4A59-9847-D1A43089D77C.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And now the vent is finished and the tank is bolted in for the final time.

Ready for fuel when the time comes. :cool:

As you can see I made the vent line go up as much as I could and then down thru the bed.

And that wraps up this thread :cool:
    A51040D7-1B04-4BCF-9CAE-07157C0EFCC6.jpeg 7F1B7524-75CA-48FE-9C7F-04F039F197F3.jpeg

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  18. HJLrulz

HJLrulz

In addition to my other projects, im also working on an OT Harley and WAS having a difficult time figgering out a work around with a fuel line fitting issue. Thank you, for this thread... it should solve the problem. I will try this and see how it goes.

...and i was just reading this thread for my 28 Chevy build... who knew... lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app