Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cars and scars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 6, 2018.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

So my body shows a scar from building about every car, motorcycle and Hell even my pedal bike when I was a kid. The Single seater that is my latest project bit me a few weeks ago when a 4 1/2" cutting disk blew up and gave me my newest scar.
    Tell us your cars and scars story.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Got so dang many Bro I remember where only a few came from!...one I do remember was when I told a couple of bigger and older boys my " soapbox " push cart was " unflipable"....turns out it wasn't with them pushing!

3. no pictures?

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I did take a picture of my leg when the cutting wheel blew up, actually a few days later when evertything around the wound was a nice shade of purple and green. I didnt save it though.

5. I took pictures of my foot after dropping a steel rim on it- didn't look as bad in the picture as it felt- lost the nail on big toe-

6. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Smashed this one building a new hoist to unload the new engine for the 55' stude. It literally "popped" when I smashed it. Yep, it hurt. Still don't have any feeling in it. But hey, the new bullet made 703 hp/622 trq! After seeing that engine do that on the Dyno, I wouldn't of cared if I took the whole end off that finger! IMG_20170708_060647.jpg IMG_20170622_180115.jpg

7. Nice power,but you would care.

8. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

Yeah, I felt it for several days....

9. It's easier to list bits that I havent cut, squashed, bruised, burnt, scraped, or pierced.
    -Give me a while and I'll remember some.

10. My wife always says that she can not understand , why I always like to slash , gash and smash my body. My response is , nothing better to do?
    Vic

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I sure do be luvin that big engine!!!! I need me one of them for my 65 GS.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

“My fathers hands”
    Woke up one morning and realized I had them.
    With a life of working with them in manufacturing I have plenty of scars.
    More proud of that ring on my finger.
    45 years this year.

1969 At 16 we went to a jewelry store, picked out a set of rings and paid 25.00 on layaway every month for two years.
    Look close at that ring.
    The thick gold ring is so beat up, you can’t distinguish any markings.
    IMG_2161.JPG

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  13. Deuces

Deuces

32 years in a machine shop environment plus wrenching on cars... And I still have all 21 of my digits...
    Be careful out there!!!!! ;)

14. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20171026_132416.jpg
    Here is what happens when you are a dumbass and do not consider where the wheel will end up after it goes through the old exhaust hanger.

Bandit Billy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Ohhh yeah thats a good one!!!!!

16. williebill

williebill

Multiple trips to the ER over the years, countless tetanus shots ( When did you last have a shot? I dunno, the last time y'all stitched me up? ), And I believe every one of them was car/garage related. No pics, but thanks to vintage shit, my body hasn't been perfect for many years.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  17. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

We were putting the engine back in my son's 88 5.0 Mustang in my garage and he just finished putting in the driveshaft under the car . On a creeper reached over his head and grabbed the rocker panel to pull himself out from under the car, when he did that the nipple ring his wife had talked him into snagged on the exhaust clamp thru his t-shirt and tore out. That was bad enough but when he got home his wife wanted him to put it back in, needless to say he no longer has a nipple ring. Had to laugh at him since I didn't know he had the ring, he failed to see the humor in it.

18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This was minutes after the Chinese grinding disc let lose and flung most of it into my gut. Felt like I got kicked by a donkey! 2 heavy work shirts on that day due to cold weather. Word to the wise...Don't buy cheap discs and leave the guard on your grinder. o_O
    upload_2018-9-7_14-9-29.png

Jet96 likes this.
  19. deucemac

deucemac

I have had so many cuts and stitches in my time working on the line, I would stop and look at my hands and fore arms and say hmm I haven't cut myself 3 (or whatever) days. Now retired, I cut myself less often but I will come in the house after working in the garage on a hot rod only to hear my wife say "don't you dare bleed on my carpet!". A minor cut goes unnoticed until I see a drip. The worst scar I have is a baseball stitch on my right middle finger. A Pontiac Trans am disc brake rear end had one end fall off a stand and I tried to catch it with my right hand. It smashed the hand and glove I was wearing against the concrete floor. Back to urgent care yet again. I have beat my hands up so bad over the years, a friend said that shaking hands with me was like shaking hands with a bag of roasted peanuts!

20. No photos, but M1 Thumb damn near took the tip off. Only once!

GeezersP15 likes this.
  21. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Lets see...A scar on my right hand from doing something incredibly stupid on a lathe, burn hole on my left foot from slag burning through a tennis shoe, a stitched tendon from doing something incredibly stupid with a grinder, scar on left knee for continuing to do incredibly stupid things with a grinder... And a 41 year old (anniversary 9/8) really battered gold ring from Montgomery Ward that, like PeteJoe, means the most and didn't hurt.:)

Petejoe likes this.
  22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Yeah, I took one for the team a ways back...

Attached Files:

Jet96 and Bandit Billy like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Doc cut off my wedding ring ( second wife) after I severed my ring finger. First wife's ring I pawned for lift ticket money. In retrospect, the first cut is not always the deepest. I miss the rings...

Petejoe likes this.
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Had a Chinese guy in my lead group. Worked in a machine shop over there before coming here, Every month we had a safety movie. This one was "Finger safety. Wu had three fingers off one hand and two from the other. So after the movie I asked him if he could add anything to what we just saw. He answered "Any man who work, ten years. and have ten fingers, Fucking off."

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
    49ratfink, Petejoe, Offset and 3 others like this.
  25. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My favorites are the dumb ones that get repeated, like digging windshield sealant out with a pocket knife and it folds up... Duh! I was doing a brake job on a service station hoist one fine day, and was doing something with the parking brake, so I left a door open on the car. Walked out from under it and stood up. Then I fell down, cold. I hit my head on the bottom edge of that open door hard enough to get a "mild" concussuion. Went back to work the next day, and was told to give a '69 Chevy pickup in the next stall a tuneup. Points, plugs, wires, condensor, all installed. Jumped in and hit the key, and it fired fired right up. In gear! With no master cylinder! One of the other guys had pulled it off to replace it the night before, and the ol' C 10 had no clutch interlock. Wham! Right into the back wall it went. Bam! My head hit the steering wheel. I figured my best next move was to take the rest of the day off, considering I worked under the hood of that thing for maybe an hour and didn't notice there was no master cylinder.

49ratfink likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a scar under the left side of my chin that took 13 stitches plus one on my left leg that took 12 after I ran my brush buggy through a barb wire fence the day before my 19th birthday.
    Two side by side scars on my left arm from slipping and falling on a mixture of antifreeze and trans fluid and hit the trans cooler made out of a Coke machine condenser with my left arm on the way down.
    Small crescent shaped scar on my right thumb where a broken drill bit hit it when I was drilling holes in a 23 T steel body to put some pop rivets in. My wife's young cousin was hanging out n the garage with me and he abruptly left. The neighbor asked me a while later what I had done to the kid and when I asked why he said he saw him puking in the middle of the street after he left my place.

One thing about cut disks no matter where they come from. If you drop the grinder on the shop floor or drop something on the grinder change the disk and throw that one away. I'm thinking that is about 75% of the exploding disk thing. When I was buying supplies for the maintenance dept of a Seneca juice and apple sauce plant we finally figured out that the thin disks broke a lot more than the thicker ones. I quit buying the thin ones and the breakage went down. These guys were using over a hundred disks a week.

Thor1 likes this.
  27. Yes, I've got scars from car incidents and some of them are in unmentionable places but each one taught me a good lesson.

28. My lady friend's first trip to the range a few months ago... the slide on a 9MM pistol bit her on the hand, one of those things you do once...

chevy57dude and Jet96 like this.
  29. Rambling Rudy

Rambling Rudy

This is what happens when you stand between two cars, and you rev. one up that has a broken motor mount! Broke leg in three places. Have scares on both sides. IMG_0269.JPG

Jet96 likes this.
  30. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I find it fairly easy to keep 9 of my fingers out of the way.