Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Ram Rods, Silver Springs,MD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi j, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

I'm looking for more Pictures of a 56 Merc convertible owned by one of the Ram Rod cc members? image.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Have you maybe tried Rik Hoving?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

No, I thought he might see the post !

4. You might try posting this in the Maryland Social Group.

5. ........................Good advice there, Gary. For the record, and although it's a very common mistake, it's Silver Spring, Md. not plural as printed in the text of the article. Good luck with the search. I think there's a few of the original members of the Ram Rods still around, hopefully they will see this and respond.

lothianwilly71 and pwschuh like this.
  6. Just for some inspiration and a bump of your thread, here's the 1965 program from the Ram Rod's show. 01202015.jpg

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. And just for fun, the 1964 program 01202015_0001.jpg

8. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

Thanks Guys !

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I went to those shows in the mid-60's...saw the Bandit (which was fired up every hour! BOOM!)), watched Roth painting shirts in the back corner (Pffft! Pfft! Pfffitpfitt!), wished I could afford a shirt, saw all the magazine cars from the touring group and saw lots of cool local machines...life altering stuff. Does the club contain geezers and cars from that period still?

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. .................Sadly Bruce, I don't think so. The way I understand it, membership ballooned in the late 60's-early 70's perhaps with a lot of wannabes and hangers-on. At some point the original members decided to limit membership to a few dedicated racers and active car guys. Fast forward to the present and I don't think there is still an active club.

lothianwilly71 and Genes12320 like this.
  11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Another show memory, but in Lancaster, PA about the same time. These shows were a compound of a pack of traveling show cars, ones that were making noise in the magazines of the time, and local iron:
    Deep in the show, we encountered a group of 5 or 6 Amish teenagers ogling the shiniest pile of red metalflake and chrome they could find...they were having a great time, but were looking guilty as hell too. They kept looking over their shoulders like a pack of amateur shoplifters...I think if someone with a German accent had shouted "Hey!! What are you kids doing here!" they all would have had heart attacks on the spot.
    I wonder where those guys are now, and what they remember...you'd probably have to waterboard them to get them to admit they were there!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. I met an original member of the club at a Christmas dinner last December. He even had his original club jacket with him. Unfortunately I don't remember his name.

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr Lancaster: Would that have been at one of the "cow palace" shows? Really looked forward to attending them every year. I have always felt the Ram Rods had some of the classiest cars around. Wasn't the "Jolly Dolly" a Ram Rod machine?

14. ..........The Cow Palace is at Timonium unless you Pa. guys have one up there as well.:)

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dunno...the nearby big show with the contingent of nationally known cars (programs I think as shown above) was in an armory, I think actually in DC...? They were before I could drive, so first part of '60's when Beatnik Bandit was hot stuff...my Father drove us, and stayed in the car working on his income tax...I had no real sense of what was where in the DC area before I could get places myself. I just remember the inside of the couple of shows I was able to attend.
    The one in Lancaster PA was handled logistically by a friend's family because he had an older sister who lived up there...again, I have no idea what building was or exactly where, but it was basically the same show as DC but with different local cars around the same batch of famous cars. That one was presumably within sneaking distance for the Amish kids.
    The program matches my memory, so I think that was the outfit handling the tour of national magazine cars...

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cow palace I referred to was on rt30 on the corner of Strasburg rd. In the heart of Amish country. I think the shows were put on by Lou Holtz , maybe in conjunction with the Vagabonds club? Is the Md. cow palace at the Timmie fairgrounds? Sure do miss those old nats east shows there as well.

17. .....Yes, exactly. I guess every little town with an agricultural history probably has a "cow palace":D

lothianwilly71 and wraymen like this.
  18. I knew Bob Bernardon who built and drove Jolly Dolly, if memory serves I think he was a Gear Grinders club member.

19. Larry1320

Larry1320

For what it's worth I don't recall Bob Bernardon as a member of the Ram Rods, as I got a list of members every year as part of a trade deal for space at the World of Wheels, DC Armory.
    I do see some names on Facebook that are/were members, Len Cottrell, John Speelman, Bill Devro.

(2 years to answer is not a record}

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. Knghtcadi

Knghtcadi

I'm in Maryland and can't find how to get to that site

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the top of the page the second icon from the left is "members" click on that and a list opens up with social groups, open that and scroll down the page. There seems to be some activity on the Maryland eastern shore page but the Maryland Hambers page seems to be blank or you have to know the secret word.
    In 1968 I was in Vietnam with a guy from Silver Spring named Rick Danzi he owned an orange 62 Impala that he showed as Moly Orange Crate in a few shows in that area. Somewhere In my stuff I have a photo of it in the DC show in the mid 60's.

22. ............I'm at a loss as to why it is so difficult for folks to get logged onto the Maryland HAMBers Social Group. I actually thought that you were on there. We had a tough time a couple of years ago getting greasemonkey logged in but, finally accomplished it. If you don't mind, send a PM to him and maybe he can remember why it was so hard or send a PM to paulieninefingers as he moderates that social forum and is probably far more tech savvy than I am. Good luck. We need to get you on there..............Don.

23. .....................It's actually a very active forum. I don't fully understand why it appears otherwise. It's a mystery to me.:confused:

24. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

I sent an email to Len Cottrell with a link to the picture.He's in the club and knows its history pretty well. Hope he can supply you with the name of the cars owner. I'll post when I hear back.

25. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Here's the reply I got from Len Cottrell:
    "Mike, your gonna love this answer. I didn’t recognize it because It was his 1st
    car before I got in the club. The members name was R F Bissell, east coast’s
    favorite photographer." Sorry I don't know of any other pics but now you have a name to work with. Good luck with the hunt.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  26. X-cpe

X-cpe

I remember going to the Armory next to RFK Stadium a few times, probably late '60's, mid '70's. Both drove down and rode the Metro. They moved to the Dulles Expo center for a few years. And it seems I remember them in the Convention Center once, but I might be confusing that with the new car show. Back in the day I knew one Ram Rod, whose name I can't remember, who was a body man at Century Ford.

27. Rozzi

Rozzi

Hot Rod Mike.......I have a question for you, but your PM settings don't allow messages. If you see this, please shoot me a message. Thanks!

28. Gary Furstenberg

Gary Furstenberg

To All,
    My name is Gary Furstenberg and I'm a newcomer to this message board. I was good friends with Doug Fleharty who opened Douglas Speed-Sport on Fenton Street in Silver Spring back in the mid 60's and I along with Steve Novak were the first two employees there. Doug had a '61 Impala SS that was a dedicated drag car and we used to enter it in the Ram Rods Car Show. Any contact or pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.

alphabet soup and lothiandon1940 like this.