Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have a radio in your Hot Rod or Custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 27, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes, I do but it doesn't work

25 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Yes, I do but I never turn it on

34 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. No, I would rather hear the engine

165 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. I've been putting in HD radio's for the last 10 years or so. With them you can pick up stations that you can't on regular radio's ( 95.7-2 for instance ) and best of all it's free. Some really good 50-60's rock and roll stations with one.

Deuces likes this.
  2. My Hudson has the original radio and it works perfectly. My Model A on the other hand does not have a radio and couldn't hear it if it did. I hardly listen to the radio in my daily drivers. With the exception of some Elvis Radio on the satellite radio that came on my truck when I bought it.

3. My "project" is a custom panel truck so it doesn't have the same issues as a hot rod or any other 4-wheel motorcycle. LOL I'm also pleased to have a local radio station, right here in town, that plays my kind of music, Americana, which features a lot of local artists. I play the station in the house as well as the car(s). It's kind of cool to pull in the garage and walk in the house and finish the song I was listening to in the car. :cool:
    I'll be installing a dash radio that looks like it belongs and matches the vintage of the car, and a simple 2-channel stereo, no big amps, nothing fancy. For long distance trips, I'll jack in tunes saved on a phone or something.

Deuces likes this.
  4. The Shift Wizard said, "I'm also pleased to have a local radio station, right here in town, that plays my kind of music, Americana, which features a lot of local artists."
    What station is that? When I was in the Hill Country, a few years ago, we found a station out of a little old town, that played Americana and old country. It was great. I loved the Hill Country. I hope to visit again.

5. IMG_20180829_181602521.jpg
    Bought this because of the backward numbering. Not working, and heavy. Might send it off to Radio Joe for the gut job.

Deuces likes this.
  6. I use a bluetooth Bose speaker.

lucky ink and Deuces like this.
  7. No radio in any of my old cars.
    I'm not opposed to having music in my old cars it's just that I'm deaf in my right ear, and can't hear worth a shit out of the other one, that combined with the road noise is a lost cause.
    I do have the music on constantly in my shop (rock n roll), when I'm in working on my cars, which seems more often than I drive them.

waxhead and chevy57dude like this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, he probably has a clean colon. That's worth sumpin'. LOL

Deuces and LAROKE like this.
  9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've finally found a kindred spirit, and he is even from Texas ! ! My roadster has been "cross-country" three times so far and will be in El Mirage before the end of the year. We wear earplugs in order to hear the Sirius radio tuned to channel 5, the first generation of rock n roll. The earplugs drown out the little wind noise, the a/c blowing, and the HP mufflers. Conversation is hard to maintain, so '50's music is the solution. Thirty-two thousand miles so far on the Wings speedo with much more to come.

10. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Earplugs will muffle everything but the music, Bud. That's how my wife and I handle long trips in our roadster.

11. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry about it, Doctorterry. The same whiners complaining about radios in hotrods probably have sound features in their rods. Maybe we'll see you at the Bayou Roundup in Lafayette in Oct. I'll be listening for good tunes coming from your ride. I'll be in a red Deuce roadster with the first generation of rock n roll blasting.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CUP HOLDERS ? ? What the hell is this "sport" of ours coming to ? LOL

Bandit Billy likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

American hardcases, take note ! ! ! This rodder from down under has it going ! ! ! LOL

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right about nothing to listen to on regular radio, '49'. That is why I installed a Sirius unit in the roadster. Earplugs make hearing the '50's rock n roll possible. No conversation, just great music.

49ratfink likes this.
  15. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When we leave San Antonio, we set the Sirius on channel 5 for first gen. rock n roll or channel 6 for '60's rock. We listen all the way to Victorville without changing channels.

16. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

17. LAROKE

LAROKE

My O/T Caddy ATS-V has microphones in the engine compartment that play over the stereo system to make the engine sound more manly. Problem is, to someone like me, who appreciates a lumpy cam, there is just no way to make a twin turbo engine sound right.

18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what the rest of you are doing but I married a cup holder.

19. There's no music on the radio, Cd player or stick with your picks the way to go!

20. '51Plymouth

'51Plymouth
    from York, PA

Stock, non-functioning radio in the dash for looks. Bluetooth amplifier & 4 speakers w/ color-matched antique grills for sounds. Only visible "out of era" part is the amp controller if I have the armrest flipped up.

21. Slow down

Slow down

waxhead likes this.
  22. Slow down

Slow down

waxhead, i.rant and 49ratfink like this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-9-6_3-55-37.png SONY RED TRANSISTOR RADIO circa 1960
    Hello,

We did not have any money as teenagers to add a full AM radio to the 40 sedan delivery. So, we made do with a hand-me down, small portable, Sony radio from my dad. He was an avid baseball/football fan and always had a small radio glued to his ear to listen to “his games.” He tried all sorts of small radios, but finally only one fit into his shirt pocket. So, the Sony portable was mine to use.

He used that one for several years, then when the latest, new, compact version came out, he got that one. He was such a fanatic of his AM station reporting, that he listened to his radio while a game was being played live, on the LA Coliseum grass field below. The old reliable, red, Sony Transistor radio was available, just in time to hang from our rear view mirror or hanging from the glove box door of the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. High school music at its finest… for cost and availability.
    upload_2018-9-6_3-56-54.png No one seemed to mind the little radio hanging from either place, as it was just cool driving around in the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery.

This Sony pocket radio was good enough to fill up the empty cavern in the back with sounds. It made a deeper sound when we put it in a metal, bucket container. (for wet clothes and towels on the way home) We even tried wiring a "borrowed" drive-in speaker for a rear (main) speaker. We were teenagers, so it made cruising fun.

Jnaki

In the second coming of the red, 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, I installed an 8 track tape player and it was so much better in sound with full upholstery covering rear pair of 6x9 speakers as well as the 6 inch door panel speakers. The radio was an AM model that worked, but now we had a library of 8 track tapes, wowee!

As most radio/stereo fanatics installations inside of cars followed, after the 8 track, then it was Am/Fm radio, Cassette Tape Players, then CD Players and finally arriving at today’s version of the MP3 digital sounds from Ipods, hard drives, and portable flash drives to go along with the built in stereo radio forms.

There are even fanatics using Bluetooth from their phones to portable Bluetooth/digital speakers placed stratigically, everywhere.

March 2017:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-what-works-good.1039238/page-2#post-11940219
    upload_2018-9-6_4-2-43.png

Hello,
    Somewhere I read that if you have your stereo on loud and can’t hear the sound of your car, you are missing out on the best part of owning that car. When we were driving around in the salmon pink (racing Orange) 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in 1961-64, we did not have a honking stereo. We had my small red or white Sony AM, portable, hand held radio. The red one was my dad’s as he used it to listen to baseball games. Mine was a white one similar in build and leather cover.

complete story …

JNAKI, MAR 4, 2017

LBCD and i.rant like this.
  24. JOFA

JOFA

I've got the original am radio in mine but i don't use it as I have a $20 blue tooth speaker that connects to the cell phone . i can wedge up on the dash that plays great music , directions from maps app, and even phone calls on speaker if i wanted too.

Attached Files:

25. Deuces

Deuces

At least you get to listen to 2 1800 watt Revlon blow dryers....:)

26. LAROKE

LAROKE

I think you aced it :)

27. Arominus

Arominus

My plan is a standalone amp with bluetooth built in so i can keep the factory radio and still have some music from the rear deck.

28. Joe Mammana

Joe Mammana
    from Tucson AZ

IMG_2514.JPG IMG_2533.JPG
    Sent my original radio to RadioBill and now it is 12v with AM/FM, Bluetooth and has aux in as well as USB in but still lights up and uses the original knobs to tune and for volume etc..like original. Haven’t installed it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

waxhead likes this.
  29. Joe Mammana

Joe Mammana
    from Tucson AZ

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My '57 Chrysler has a radio delete plate from a '58 in the dash.

But I have an iPod in the car for some tunes. There is a 4x6 in the dash and a pair of 5x7s in the package shelf, powered by a small amp and a gain control for volume that I have hidden under the front seat. Pretty simple stuff.