Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rer_239, Sep 5, 2018.

1. rer_239

rer_239

Anybody use Fastenal or Greyhound to ship parts? Thinking of shipping a model A roadster cowl.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

I've used Fastenal. Have to palletize and take to a store and pickup at a store. No problems.

INVISIBLEKID and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. rer_239

rer_239

Was the item u shipped as bulky as a roadster cowl?

4. Squablow

Squablow

I have used Fastenal as well, and my stuff was way bigger than a roadster cowl. Put it on a pallet and then build a little box around it, and shrinkwrap the whole thing. It's cheap and easy. You contact them with the place you're sending from and to, plus a guess at weight and the dimensions, they quote you, then you accept the quote and drop it off, they bring it to the other store and your buyer picks it up. It's a little different than Fedex or USPS but it works out great for big stuff.

Never did Greyhound although I've heard others doing it and said it worked good.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Two 1938 Ford Front fenders & a hood from Minnesota to Connecticut with Fastenal for $225. was my first deal with them as a buyer, and it made a very positive first impression. I've used them on bulky items I've sold and things worked out fine. Packing is the sellers deal, not Fastenal so be sure the seller can pack things properly. Bob

6. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I bought a 34 ford pickup cowl, including door post and firewall. It was wrapped in construction paper and put on greyhound. It was a pain in the ass to move around. It got to Huntsville with no damage but the only attendant was a young lady. She was having a hell of a time just moving it around.
    I don’t recall the cost, but I did not complain. I will use Fastenal next time because they are a lot closer, and I like the idea of using a pallet.

7. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Is there a website or link?
    Is it the Fastenal's who do hardware stuff???

8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

9. nickleone

nickleone

Greyhound max dims are 83x47x30 and 100#.
    Nick

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Find their website, it is all done online, the stores just handle the paperwork. Be sure the store location is close to the buyer and he is ok with going to the store to get the package. The pallet can be custom made to fit the item, used plywood is ok. Just make sure there are no nails, screw,s sharp edges to injure handlers. Bob

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Squablow

Squablow

When you're on the website, look for 3pl, stands for Third Party Logistics. That's the spot where the shipping is done.

Hnstray and The37Kid like this.
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Greyhound works pretty well but you have to watch the measurements and weight as Nickleone mentioned.
    I usually snag a box at a local furniture store that is the right size and pack Styrofoam around what I am shipping and add some cardboard at any spot where there is a sharp corner that might work through. The last ones I sent that way I tied bailing twine around so that there were plenty of handholds to grab on to.

13. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

I shipped a 27 t roadster turtle deck from louisiana to washington state, used fastenal. Ratchet strapped and shrink wrapped to a pallet. I want to say it was around $125. No problems whatsoever

14. cometman98006

cometman98006

I shipped 2 steel rear fenders, a grill and a bunch if small stuff from Seattle to Southern California via Greyhound and it worked slick. I had a box made that was within the limits and had the buyer pay for the cool box.

15. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I was happy with Greyhound in the earlier days, but they shut down some of their CO stops which made it too far to travel to pick items up. I used U-ship which is quite an odd setup unless you use it regularly and start to form relationships with some of the haulers. I was always happy with U-ship, but you don't want to be in a hurry.
    I am dead keen to try Fastenal, it sounds like the perfect match for many of us.

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

One other thing about Fastenal;

Not all stores are 3PL and some states have restrictions that prevent Fastenal from acting as a carrier. Fastenal will advise when you ask for a quote, but just don't count on them until you check.

17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used both. Fender via Greyhound to Detroit for p/u from a buyer in Canada and a '40 big truck grill via Fastenal to the PNW. Both went OK. Check with the Fastenal location you are dropping of the item if on a pallet. Not all locations have a forklift.

18. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

I had half of a hit & miss engine about 350# through fastenal it was just strapped to a pallet, they will load it for you with their forklift nice guys. i also had some 20s doors shipped through greyhound also did a good job

19. whateverit takes

whateverit takes
    from Florida

A couple of weeks ago I used Fastenal for the first time after hearing about their 3rd party shipping service. I bought a 68 Dodge station wagon tailgate shipped from Zeeland, MI to Mineola, NY for $155.00. The tailgate had to weigh 175 lbs. with glass. The seller palletized it and dropped it off to his local Fastenal. I paid for the shipping in NY. As stated I got the quote online. Very convenient.
    Ernesto