Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It happens every time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Chrome Moly Steel

Chrome Moly Steel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, fl

. Came through Cherokee this morning and saw a few rods at a local garage. Had lunch at Country Vittles restaurant , good food.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Halfway through building my 57 chevy 150 , I came across a 59 lark on Craigslist...Long story short, I've got a bad ass patina'd pink lark sleeper and a half done blown 57 ;). But Damnit I want a 34 3 window!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm right in the big middle of pondering going after a little 2 seat sporty car body that has a friendly price to put an OT engine that I have in my old daily driver work car that got totaled by a garbage truck a couple of years ago. Bad part is that I just found a thread on line on putting that exact engine in the same model of car. It wouldn't be too spendy and selling the hulk of the donor and selling the old engine and trans out of the car would get the entry cost down pretty low.

4. You haven't picked it up yet? :D HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  5. They only come along when I don't have the $$ to buy it. I always have an eye out for a fire sale now. Time to party like its 1999...

6. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I know the feeling but I don't want a project car. I want another hot rod. Anyone know who owns the Pete&Jakes 33 Ford "VIPER" coupe ? It's featured in Rod&Custom mag,Oct. 1993 issue. Pg 112. I still know the feeling....…………..

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and wingnutz like this.
  7. I've turned down some insanely cool cars to continue my progress on my Roadster. When you're building your dream... The other cars are just noise!

I might go back to the noise when my dream is complete...!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  8. jazz1

jazz1

Usually 2 weeks after you get project home you find similar vehicle in better condition for less money.

partsdawg, 3W JOHN, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  9. You got that right! :D HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I wanted a 1932 ford and sold 2 cars and when I had the money the car was sold.
    I waited for a long time and never found one so I bought a truck one week later the one I have now showed up I lost my butt on the truck but I had to have the car.

wingnutz and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm making payments on a car that could become a future project. Over the last few days I've also thought of flipping it at Hershey, taking the profit and buying the needed parts for the 1939 Ford pickup. This is a moment of sanity I'm not used to dealing with. :confused: Bob

12. Pick a car fix it up, get some Raybans ride around looking sharp. Sell all the other cars to kids and get them hooked on cars.

13. verde742

verde742

I have determined : I cannot ride ALL the Buses, Love ALL the Girls, or own one of every CAR I love, or ride All the horses... But I have tried....:D

14. Binkman

Binkman

I am just finishing up a '34 Victoria.
    Needing the next winter project I started looking for a '34 sedan delivery project.
    I found one and as soon as I did a nice '34 2-Dr sedan project popped up.
    Now I have a project for this winter and one for next winter.
    I was told that I am easier too live with when I have a project going.
    That works for me.

15. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Just happened to me......i have been saying for the last couple years that im not buying anymore projects. The something pops up nearby and in my price range. Last year it was a 35 Ford Coupe. This year its a 23-25 T roadster. Actually, the T has been an accumulation of parts over the years with some of the more significant parts falling in my lap this last couple weeks....moving this project to the top of the list.

Is it possible to enjoy a disease????

16. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

It's called Project Acqusition Syndrome. Many who dabble in the car hobby have this virus lying dormant in their bloodstream... until it is activated. Often by car show / auto parts swap meet attendance, a ride in a buddies hot rod or maybe drag strip attendance.

Suffering from this malady myself. I have come to understand that fellow gearheads who suffer from Project Acquisition Syndrome are sometime the best source for my next unfinished project car. I acquired a 60 Plymouth Fury a few years ago. The guy who brought it home had a collection of 12 project cars before he brought the Plymouth home. His wife, who had hitherto, quietly tolerated her husband's affliction, exploded upon arriving home from work and seeing the Plymouth, sitting on her husband's car trailer, in her driveway (BTW, if you own a car trailer, you are in late stage/chronic PAS.)

I felt this man's pain. He and his pretty, professional world wife, had purchased a rural Northern California estate, with a large, attractive home and a horse stable, with 8 stalls. The doors/gates had been removed and project cars occupied the space beneath the stable roof...which was now a sort of fancy wood and stucco carport, albeit a large carport. A large adjoining barn (converted to a rather nice shop) contained other cars. Engines lined the shop foor along one wall. Not crappy engines, either. A Nailhead or two, Some flatheads of both 6 and 8 cyl variety, A really nice straight 8 with a blower setup on it. And then there were the Hemis. Little ones mostly. But I saw a couple of 392s and in the back loomed what could only have been a genuine Gen II Hemi. He had it BAD.

His wife had given him an ultimatum upon seeing the Plymouth: "That makes thirteen, now. Either one goes away immediately, or I do."

He made the mistake of communicating all of this to me up front. He even told me what he had just put out for the car.. which was very little. I nodded sagely and shared my opinion with him that women just don't understand. They place such unrealistic expectations upon those of us who suffer from PAS...and never express sorrow or sympathy when life forces us to part with a project. While he knew that I understood all of this, I made it clear that even though I had limited cash reserves I was willing...out of the goodness of my heart... to help him out of his dilemma and remove the offending Plymouth that very day...and would cover his acquisition cost to the penny. He looked me darkly on that last sentence but I looked away and instructed my son to bring my Ram up and position our Uhaul transporter in front of the Plymouth. He looked at me earnestly and said "you know, i was hoping to get a little something for myself out of this deal". I pointed his attention toward his own wife, who was standing there, still in her power skirt suit, looking out her kitchen bay window at my son preparing to load the offending Plymouth. As he looked toward her, I said "but you are, my friend, you are." and nodded in the direction of his wife. He had travelled 300 miles that day to extract the Plymouth and paid $1000. I handed him 10 crisp Benjamin Frankins.

I worked on that car all thru the next summer. I advanced her to what I like to call a beautiful roller stage. No engine bay. Body fully blocked and all rust repaired. Front end rubbers done and Nice wheels added. I lost interest and flipped her to a buyer at Hot August Nights. I myself can have 3 cars on the property...provided they advance periodically. The Fury was a temporary number 4 that had to go.

17. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

That's why i been working on my 31 cabriolet for 12 years. 3 32 5w got in the way. cabriolet -1.jpg cabriolet-3.jpg

jazz1 likes this.
  18. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Funniest shit iv read in a while. Thanks for the laugh. I as well have PAS

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app