Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old age dilemma!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Sep 4, 2018.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

74 years old is rapidly approaching. "My glass is less than 1/2 full...". In the last few days, I had a friend go thru a 6+ hour surgery (fingers crossed), gave a 16 year old grand daughter some time driving a standard transmission, helped a kid with a pending divorce and made plans to attend another kid's wedding.

I am nearing the end of dispersing my parents personal effects. Fortunately, the kids and step-kids all agree on the dispersal. We ended up with 3 generations of silver tableware ("M", "D" and "W"). The last time I saw this silverware in use was a Thanksgiving in the mid-1979's. Nobody wanted it, it went to auction.

I am aware that most of our stuff will need to be trashed. This double wide mobile home was a "handyman special" when I bought it in 1986. I keep everything in good maintenance, but, it all is long beyond it's service life. When we are gone, the property is worth the price of the land (not a very desirable location) and the new garage, minus the cost of tearing down the mobile home and old outbuildings.

Missy's Garage - Low res.jpg
    The daughter that is helping us gets first choice.

Hnstray likes this.
  2. topher5150

topher5150

I feel like I'm on the other end of this discussion. I'm the young(erish) guy trying to get things settled in life so I can try and catch up with some of you old farts while I can still enjoy the hobby. I know it's all worldly goods, and you can't take it with you, but to me this has been a life long dream the ultimate engineering artistic challenge and expression. I am always thankful for the guys, that I met on here and else where, who've been willing to help me out I just wish it was easier for me to do.

3. I simply do not understand these children who have no interest in their parents or their hobbies. I’m 44, so I’m rather young around here, but my Dad is my best friend, and we do everything together. Tractors, hot rods, and motorcycles. I have been raised to believe that tools and equipment are family heirlooms and they are never to be sold. I have a large part of both my grandfathers tools and treasure them.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

SMLBound, Boneyard51, GuyW and 5 others like this.
  4. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Haha.......The Gearheads version of Imelda Marcos shoe collection
    Please note: You'll only be remembered for what you DID in life, not what you owned.
    So think back to what you may have inherited yourself. 90% of this was usually sold off or thrown out.

I am in the same situation at 57 but with no children to leave my legacy to, so the last thing I want to be remembered for is "that crazy old hoarder"
    Now when I kick the bucket, it won't be a "suicide pact" so I need to consider my wife [or vice versa].One of us will survive the other!
    My advice is to start selling down now while it has some value to you [give us a list:D]. Keep the car you consider most desirable for yourself, or use the proceeds to go after your dream car [if it isn't already owned]
    Learn to use it, regularly, instead of sitting under covers [Imagine, taking your wife out to dinner in, or going to golf eg: an old boattail speedster,or '57 ragtop]

And spend your time enjoying this world..... it is very different out there.

"My biggest fear is after I die, my wife will sell all my shit for what I told her I paid for it all"

5. dave plmley

dave plmley

I am lucky to have two sons who enjoy cars. It was my intent to leave them my cars when I pass on but last year I decided to give them the cars because I would never see them enjoy them if I'm dead. They use the cars more than I ever did and I did keep one for myself to tool around in until the end.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

at age 68, I put 3 running old cars in my 3 kids names already. I'm lucky all 3 want my stuff. They had a great mom

Hnstray likes this.
  7. I read all of the wanted ads. If someone needs something I have I decide whether for not I will ever need it. The answer is usually no and off it goes.

Charlie Stephens

alanp561, Hnstray and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  8. safetythird

safetythird

It's just stuff.

You can remember a loved one every time you use one of their old tools.
    Or you can remember a loved one every time you use any tool because they're the ones who taught you how to wrench.

9. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You never really know your family until you meet them either in probate or divorce court. Just read the previous contents if you don't believe me.

My two boys have no interest in our cars, sterling silverware, antique furniture, or property. I think they could be convinced to take the money, however.

Everything is in a trust and written out, each has a copy, the lawyer is the executor, and it is stipulated that everything will be sold and the proceeds divided equally after expenses. In other words if someone decides that he wants an old picture on the wall then he can buy it at the sale.

This is the only way I can almost guarantee that boys will not end up hating each other over a handgun or something.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

For the OP; don't sell off anything simply for the reason that none of your relatives would want/enjoy it. It's your stuff and your life-enjoy it!

For all concerned (kids or not); Document your will and spell out certain items and where they'll go. You could will a vehicle to one of your favorite affiliations or interests such as a museum, the local Little League (to sell raffle tickets or auction off), etc.
    One angle would be to see if there's some area youngsters that ARE into cars. Check with a few local car clubs. Their members probably have quite a few kids or Grand kids that have the car bug. Once you get to know the families, see if any of them are interested in your parts or project cars. If they're sincere good folks, give them a real break on a roller project or parts for their project, or barter for labor. That could be a 17 year old doing some yard work, painting, etc. around your place. It could be a young family man in his 20's or 30's that has more extra time than money. Maybe he's handy or a tradesman that will do some home improvement work (that you're too old to do anymore). He cuts down a couple of big trees or tiles the kitchen floor over a weekend in exchange for that fresh 327 that's been collecting dust in your garage for 15 years? Come Sunday night, he's driving home with an engine for his project car and you and the Wife have a spruced up kitchen.
    I remember being 15 and helping a neighbor do a driveway engine swap in his El Camino one Saturday. My pay was a brand new Sun tach for my 55 Chevy. We were both real happy with the barter.

Some of my kids are interested in cars and some are not. I've told them and my Wife, when I go, they can divvy up what they want to keep, then call in my trusted gear head Brother in laws to help them I. D. and disperse anything else.
    A Sharpie pen will save your family a lot of work when it comes to parts. Car guys can name a part at 50 yards. The average person just sees an old car fender or door. I use one and label all my extra parts; "33/34 Ford deck lid hinge", "28/29 Ford Roadster quarter panel", etc. It'll make it real easy for the kids to toss that description into an ebay completed auction search to get a feel for what it's worth.
    There won't be a panic rush as the Wife or one of the kids will assume the house.

The biggest waste is when there's no will and all the family members rush to the estate from out of state and unload everything/sell the house in a long weekend.

trollst and Hnstray like this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've an old friend close to my age who has he's never married, had kids and enjoys a cold drink on a hot day. He's still working as well as building and working on hot rods. He has a driver (Open car) and has nearly finished his last own [Closed] car. He has no immediate family and sheds full of tools and parts. He's never mentioned to me or other close friends about what will happen should the unfortunate happen. I at least have a will however none of us have ever broached the subject with him and often joke over a drink about having to sort things out in his absence. My children at least get a car each with the estate etc divided up equally. Over here the Public Trustee (Government department) takes over if there is no will and beneficiaries and I presume the proceeds go into consolidated revenue after everything is sold off?
    When my parents passed many years ago both had wills, however money does strange things to families and the lawyers love it as they never miss out. I ended up in court over probate. Not recommended and very stressful.
    A hard call to make, I wish you well in deciding what happens with your life's treasures.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Ain’t no hitch on a hearse, gone is gone, git it done, spend it now

13. A lot of wisdom on this thread. I have three kids, two gearheads, and one that doesn't care much about airplanes, cars, tools, or antiques. My son is a gearhead, and has helped me with three builds. He is the logical choice for my toys and tools, but there is so much of value, that I will have to find an equitable way to split the goodies. One of my daughters wants the airplane, so that helps.
    I have taken the time to price out a lot of the valuable pieces I have accumulated, and know that if they do get sold that they will get a reasonable price for the stuff. At any rate, like so many of the others have stated, I am not going to care.
    Bob

48fordnut, Hnstray and deadbeat like this.
  14. cretin

cretin

I didn't read any replies, just the original post. If I were in your position, I would take an inventory of what I had, and do an honest review of what my personal plans with everything were. I would take the stuff that I wouldn't be using and/or getting to, and get prepared to get rid of it. I would try to make connections with some of the young rodders in my area, and either sell or give those things to them. I would maintain a relationship with them, and see those items being enjoyed by another generation of hot rodders before I was gone, and had no control of what happened to any of it. There are many young people who have an appreciation for all this old stuff, wether it be cars, tools, furniture, etc. But once that stuff is gone, it's gone. I'd much rather see it get enjoyed than go to the dump, even if I lost money on the deal.

47ragtop, 48fordnut and Hnstray like this.
  15. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

After reading thru this ,all I can say is WOW. I'm 78 ,wife is 75, she has dementia, and after having the shakes for years I have been told I have parkinsons.
    I have 4 cars and lots of parts. Not as much as some of you. I sold my FED operation in 10 and started selling off some things. It has concerned me as financially it would be best if I outlive my wife. We all know we don't have a hand on the steering wheel.
    I have 5 children ,and several grands. Two daughters mildly interested in what I have. Others not at all.
    I only get to work on my projects short periods of time some days. This concerns me that I will probably be leaving a lot of unfinished ends. I don't want to be forced to have her to dispose of the left overs.

dan griffin likes this.
  16. that story doesn't bother me. The sister should have gotten the farm over the church. The church wasn't dumping any bedpans.

alanp561, trollst, Hnstray and 4 others like this.
  17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

I have also talked with many friends who were in the exact same spot your in on what to do with their collection of cars and old parts.

One friend asked me if he could had my name to his will so that when he died his wife and children could contact me for advice on what I thought everything would be worth some day.
    His wife has no idea how much money he has poured into his car over the years and she told him she things it's worth a $1,000 dollars. The car is worth over $40,000 dollars all day long.

One friend who was in his 80's contacted me because he wanted to give his collections of racing items because his son's had already told him that they did not want any of it and if he died they were going to fill a dumpster with all of it.
    He said Jim you love this stuff so please come and take it all!
    I did not up on his offer in time before he passed away. The family did not want to try selling anything and put it all in a dumpster!

Guys the stuff that many of us have collected over the years means a great deal to us but does not seem to have the same memories for our children in many cases.

If you cannot stand the thought of your stuff ending up in a dumpster some day start thinking about what to do with it now.
    Just my opinion. Jimbo

I

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Everyones dream is to find a yard sale where a widow is selling her late husbands guns, tools and car parts.

Gary

GuyW and scotty t like this.
  19. My Great Aunt was getting old and moved from her remote farm house into a smaller house in the city after her husband died. She contacted an auction house to inventory and auction items at the old homestead. ----- COINCIDENCE: The farmhouse and barn get broken into three times between the inventory and auction date!!! Many of the more valuable items missing. Weird, right? **** In a related story...my great aunt on the other side of the family had neighbors that were in their 90's. The husband dies and the wife arranges an auction before moving to an assisted living facility. My aunt watched auction employees load many of his hunting rifles (he had Holland & Holland type stuff) out the back door and into the trunk of a car as the auction was happening in the front yard. Something to think about.

20. GeeRam

GeeRam

Wow....surprised to hear that's the case in the US, of all places!

Here in the UK, once a will is signed and co-witnessed signed at a lawyers, it gets registered, so even if the copy held by the person is destroyed as in your case above, a search of the register within the legal system would flag up the will's existence.

21. On another forum this morning a person was asking the value of a really nice Ford PU that was "gifted" to them.....no interest in it other than cash value. Hate to see this...

I still have a lot of my parents stuff, lotta memories there. My son will end up everything.....I am trying to thin out the junk and label/ID any parts that have value.

22. I bought a Metro van and a 50 ford school bus at a estate sale. The guys children lived out of state and came to the funeral and took what they wanted. Then simply had a auctioneer sell everything left including the house and land. The Auctioneer sold a whole lot of old coins. He stated he found the money in the old ford bus. Someone asked me how much of that Old money did the auctioneer keep? I replied not a penny if he was gonna steal it he would of kept it all. I sold the flathead six engine from the bus to a HAMB member from Calif. My opinion Not everyone is a dishonest crook. There are very few completely bad folks and very few completely good folks. Most folks are just decent. Possibly we can lump Auctioneers in with Lawyers and Cops most of them are crooked?

23. I'm getting a little long in the tooth but I'm open for adoption, the plus side is you don't have to worry about me staying out all night, you wouldn't have to worry about me getting any of the young (or old) lady's pregnant,I've been fixed.:D

I can wash dishes & cloths, I don't drink or smoke.

The negative thing is I may eat you out of house and home and I do tend to roll around in the garage floor and get greasy.:D HRP

alanp561 likes this.
  24. They don't record wills in Arkansas anymore. These folks never started probate on the Guys and sisters estate. They simply paid the real estate taxes for 7 years. After that period it was theirs by Adverse Possession. You cant claim Adverse Possession unless you have some sort of color of title or legal standing. Their legal Standing was that they would inherit by Arkansas Statue. And In Arkansas A probate cant be opened after three years. Legally the Farm is theirs . Probably If they wanted to sell it before it would qualify for a loan they would need to petition the court to quiet title? Gee I wonder who told them to Tear up that will LOL. Did I tell you my son is a Lawyer?

Hnstray likes this.
  25. My mother was a bit younger than dad. And she was always telling him what she was gonna do with everything after he died. She passed at eighty. He outlived her by 10 years. And I had his will and My family was already fighting before he died. So two sisters hired a lawyer to start probate. They wanted to be named Co Execuitors. When we went to court I had his will naming me as execuitor. But I wasn't going to present it because I didn't want to be wipping boy. Well since I was the only child who lived in Arkansas. The Judge was still gonna appoint me Execuitor. I told him no way. I suggested he Appoint a Neutral Party. So He appointed a Lawyer. And the Lawyer hired a Guy from the bank. And they sold everything paid the debts. Paid themselves a very hefty stipend. And divided the Pittance that was left among us 7 children. LOL. My siblings are still angry with me. I haven't seen or spoke to 4 of them since that day in court. I think it came out OK.

48fordnut and Hnstray like this.
  26. Tacson

Tacson

Very smart move in my opinion. You enjoyed them. Now you get to see your boys enjoy their inheritance.

trollst, 48fordnut and Hnstray like this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Greed can split up a family in a hurry. Figuring out what to do with our toys is something we all should think about.Even though we don't want to.

28. lostmind

lostmind

No one interested in my stuff. I'm not interested in most of it.
    I've been selling off most of my personnel stuff this year to " lighten the load" for my wife.
    My son only sees $ signs , at 20 cents on the dollar at a garage sale.
    Converting to cash now , cutting the auctioneers cut.
    My wife can use the cash to live on.
    Not a lot of interest in what we think is valuable if you go somewhere other than the HAMB
    Just the way it is.
    No one but me wanted my grandfathers stuff.

29. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

There are some churches here that look for older people, especially widows and widowers. They get them a ride to church and some do other things for them. Many children are shocked when their parent leaves everything to the church.

48fordnut and Old wolf like this.
  30. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Stuff is just that , STUFF. I have already been thru this with my Late BIL's hoard. I also got rid of my sizeable stash. Now I now have 1 car , a forty Ford coupe and I don't need any spares because I can buy just about everything new. If you think it is easy to get rid of this stuff it is anything but. We have pretty much divided our personal stuff with our 2 children and they don't give a hoot about my car but do want my tools. Get rid of your stuff now because your heirs are going to anyway. Your life will remembered by who you were, what you did and your children and grands NOT by your cars or other worldly possessions. Later Bill

csern, safetythird, trollst and 2 others like this.