Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 31, 2018.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I am a carpenter by day , car builder by night. At any given moment the wife can look at me and say what you building ? And I tell her about the six car addition I want to add to the ten car shop I have so I have room for the three new projects I want to build! lol I already have six going now! Always dreaming about some kind of car or house project. Now if I just had time and money! Oh yeah , met the wife 31 years ago and have not had a smoke since. Use to be a 3 pack a day chain smoker. A good women has that effect on a guy. Larry

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a whole lot better to mumble about something you are working on on the car in your sleep than mumble some other woman's name in your sleep.
    True story on myself. Back in the mid 70's when I built my T bucket with the first V8 Chevy engine I had ever owned in it I was having trouble getting it to run after rebuilding it. It would shoot flames out both ends but wouldn't start. Laying in bed one night at 02:30 it suddenly came to me that I had run the firing order as a 350 R Olds rather than a 283 Chev. Up, bath robe on, out the door to the attached garage, redo the firing order, hit the starter and WHOO HAAW it fired up open megaphone headers and all. Ran it for about ten seconds, shut it off and went back to bed and slept like a baby.

3. X-cpe

X-cpe

It usually happens to me when I stay out in the garage longer than I should and need to get up earlier than usual. Couldn't solve it in the garage so it stays with me in bed and I can't shut it off. My old body doesn't do sleep deprivation as well as it used to. Has made for some long next days.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

No lie. I quit drinking liquor and beer over 30 years ago cold turkey, never had a problem, never looked back. I've quit a 1,000 times, started back 1,001. Tried patches, gum, pills, always went back. Don't know why, just did.

Haven't smoked a cigarette in years, my choice smoke is a filtered menthol cigar.

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Jeff J

Jeff J

Yup, same thing, gets me in trouble and I then start inventing things . and the story goes on . Like the other night trying to figure out my top on my Phaeton .

6. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over an over and expecting a different result? I'm ok with it:D When I can hop in my hot rod at 0 dark thirty and drive to work, and at the end of the work day hop back in fire it up , cruise home with something like Jackson Browne in the cd player its all good. Spend and hour or two in the garage , spend quality time with the wife , Hit the sack .....and go right to sleep without ever thinking of hot rods or what i'm gonna work on next;) LOL

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I smoked a pipe eventually. One morning in January 2005 I took out the pipe and found that I had no desire for a smoke. The next morning I had a heart attack. I haven't smoked since.

8. Deuces

Deuces

Glad you quit....;)

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yep, I usually go to bed thinking about a mechanical/electrical problem I may have. Many times I wake up with a solution. Weird.

Smoked a pipe for 40 yrs after quitting cigarettes after my daughter was born. I enjoyed it so much, I knew I’d never quit.
    My son turned me onto Vaping. He found a juice that has the exact flavor of Vanilla Cavendish.
    Quit the pipe now four years ago.
    No tar, hydrogen cyanide,
    Acetaldehyde
    Aromatic amines
    Arsenic
    Benzene
    Beryllium (a toxic metal)
    1,3–Butadiene (a hazardous gas)
    Cadmium (a toxic metal)
    Chromium (a metallic element)
    Cumene
    Ethylene oxide
    Formaldehyde.
    Just the habit forming nicotine, that I can’t give up.
    In most e-cigs, the e-liquid that's used to fill the devices is usually comprised of four main ingredients: nicotine, a highly addictive stimulant drug; propylene glycol, a preservative found in ice cream and coffee-based drink; glycerine, a widely used liquid sweetener; and flavorings

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  10. wicarnut

wicarnut

You are "Normal" ( Projects/Passion for something is what makes/defines you, who you are IMO ) All of my life I've been one of those people that don't sleep much, so my mind is always busy. In my working years, running my Tool & Die/Pattern shop (36 years) I realized my mind never shut down, when I had a problem with designing a unusually difficult project and seem to hit a wall, learned to let it sit, work on something else, and would wake up during night or in AM with solutions, sometimes drawing something up right then and there, had drafting table at home, later Cad/Cam to match system in shop. My niche in the market was the difficult/unusual, but had to take on normal work for my help as after years I finally figured out that I could not hire/keep men like myself as they are or become your competitor, not your employee. I had a few good men I trained and it hurt when they left, but I understood, they went on to bigger/better opportunities and did very well for themselves. Now that I'm 70, retired/tired still don't sleep much, have outlived several Doctor's, going for my yearly, new Dr again and have him be concerned on my sleep patterns, funny the older Dr's just said, everyone's sleep pattern/clock is different, now they suggest putting me through a bunch of tests and get hurt feelings when I say, No Thank you, been this way for 70 years, don't think I need to change any thing now. ( I Have the Good Fortune/Luck to have pretty good health so far) Everyone, Enjoy the Holiday weekend and Be Safe !

11. HRP, I actually looked at as an addiction. Yes Deuces that is when I started too but never graduated past a pack and a half a day. I tend to think that if you look at it as an addiction and the opioid epidemic sweeping the country now it motivated me:confused:. I have some young relatives that are drug dependent and proud that I quit and got them into remission too so they understand my conviction and I commend their enticement to stay away from their drugs. I never got into the whole drug thing even growing up in the late '60's and early '70's, glad, but smoking is almost as bad, it usually just takes longer to kill you;). At any rate I now have more money being retired to spend on my "old junkers".:D

12. Oh YES Danny, I also get restless if something on the vehicles does not seem quite right, Ill get up in the night and go down to the garage and think about the problem, and go over it and how to solve it.
    Even when Im walking the dogs in the fields I will suddenly get that eureka moment of solving a problem and it feels great.
    I think we are all completely of sound mind...........But ................. everyone else has a problem. :rolleyes:o_O:eek::D

13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Once you figure out you're crazy, it all makes sense.

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Me too Danny although you have 4 years on me. :D

The way I understand it is that Normal is a setting on a washing machine, I don't think there's a setting that describes any of us :D

15. evil clown

evil clown
    from Verona, WI

You are what you think about.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. Danny you are Perfectly Normal, but me on the Other its a little
    Different.
    I worked on Car's & Race Cars for over 45 years had 3 different Shop's
    and Retired and I am still working on my 50 Merc. and like You
    and everybody else still Dream about working
    thats how you solve Problems

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't go getting all "Christine" about it. ;)

18. wutnxt

wutnxt

Join the club

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes it keeps me up but less than when I took em all apart. Now it's just one thing at a time.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. I've had my Shoebox for just about 2 years.
    When I first got it I did a to-do list.
    I have been trying to save enough cash to tackle the list.
    It just keeps mounting, I get 1 thing done & it exposes a few other glaring issues.
    I have constantly brain fucked this project to the point where it is now at a stand still.
    I plan to get back at it this winter after I insulate & heat my garage(a different to-do list).
    I have been following your progress, it will be a nice car when it's done, like the rest of your cars.

21. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

A nice poster taped to the ceiling will make all that nonsense go away...............if ya know what i mean.

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  22. I like the way you think Alan. :) HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Well....yeah!

24. 34Larry

34Larry

Was up last night at 2:00 AM, to much on my mind. Mostly just about life, and about striping my toy, and how it looks???. Getting out of the house last rainy Monday afternoon into the shop, but with nothing really pressing out there to do when I ran across some bright red striping tape I bought and forgot about. It was quarter inch, a little wide, which I considered to wide but I spent an hour or so cleaning and appling it to the beltline factory bead that is on those early Fords. Yep...…….to wide but it really poped and really gave it a different look. I had also bought a roll of double strip that had a one eighth and one sixteenth combo stripping. So I went to work splitting the two and striping the other side with the one eighth. Looked so much better with the one eight so I stripped off the one quarter, and stopped for dinner (here on the west coast,....supper in the Midwest and South). Life got in the way again, (should say wife and her screwed up family), and I haven't gotten back out to finish. I did of course go out and critique my handy work, I most often will walk away over night on something like this and kind of see if I still like what I've done.
    So that along with other life issues is why I was up. Went back to bed though, and lately that has been the routine. (Just to damned many school mates and close friend leaving this earth, & that really bothers the shit out of me.) Also I'm still morning my little Max guy and that bothers the shit out of me, doubly bad)
    Well now out to finish the striping job, and I know tape is really not the best and it could be considered cheating, but damn it looks good, and besides its getting black cherry on it this winter, ( I think). 100_1324.jpg Max. 9/1/07-----12/5/17 Best friend I ever had.

25. 34Larry

34Larry

26. 34Larry

34Larry

Just back on this to say my spelling stinks and I know that it is mourning not morning. Striping instead of stripping or not? It is said that engineers are the worst spellers, and I am testament to that. Going to do better, here on out. I wonder: Is spelling ability an indication of intelligence??

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe, maybe not. Intelligence is knowing that proper spelling can be important to properly convey a message or to get an answer to a question.

As important as spelling is using the right word, which in itself can also be spelling.
    Spelling a word incorrectly can totally change the meaning and change the understanding or context of something.

A good example we always see here is loosing instead of losing.
    Or bare with me instead of bear with me.

Bare with me. Get naked with me ?
    Bear with me. Have patience with me.

What shows a lack of intelligence more than anything else is a don't or can’t be bothered to give a crap attitude when it comes to proper spelling and clear communication.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Ned Ludd likes this.
  28. louisb

louisb

I obsesses over every little detail.

--louis

29. Sorry to hear about your furry friend, they truly are family!
    We've lost a couple(dogs) over the past few years, still miss the hell out of them.
    A suitable replacement can be found at your local dog pound, it doesn't take long for the little buggers to work their way into your heart.

30. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes all the time. many times gone to bed with a problem on my mind and wake up in the middle of the night with a solution, that actually works. used to keep a scratch pad next to the bed just to write stuff down. amazing how the mind works.........like when my wife married me thinking i was the handsomest guy she ever met.