Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects T head engine ID needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31 steve, Aug 26, 2018.

1. 31 steve

31 steve

I need help ID ing this T head engine please, Rayfield Carb, fuel pump, twin cam with roller rockers, herringbone gears, no other numbers or ID. Looks like early teens to me. Thanks, Steve IMG_3494.JPG IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3496.JPG IMG_3497.JPG IMG_3498.JPG

2Blue2, Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Wisconsin ? Continental ?
    Looks like a stationary engine.
    Narrow motor mounts, flywheel with PTO pulley.
    No obvious path of water flow to a radiator, maybe just a water tank above the cylinders attached to the two openings between the priming cups.
    Looks fairly small in relation to the Mag & carb, maybe 20 HP.
    I like it !

Tim and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

EDIT: while I realize it appears I am 'late to the party' with this post, I actually wrote it very shortly after the OP posted it. What I neglected to do is hit the 'post' key. But, I am pleased to see that Pete Eastwood and I are thinking along the same lines.

I have no idea what brand/make it might be but note that it seems to be designed for the belt drive it is fitted with. I see no means to attach a conventional transmission to it. To me that suggests being a stationary power plant, but the relatively sophisticated features would seem more suited to a motorcar application. I’ll be watching this thread for the I.D. that surely will be provided....It’s the HAMB, afterall

4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Water goes through the holes over the pistons on the head. Gearboxes were mounted seperate back in the very early years. Exhaust looks like a car one , stationary went up (opinion). It looks like a 190? Car engine with aftermarket belt drive, good use for a old car engine, it could still be a stationary engine though. The thingy out front looks more industrial than car?

5. Fordors

Fordors

I agree that it looks stationary, but the amount of copper used on it suggests a marine application to me. It would have had a simple forward/reverse gear box connected to it and many of those were put opposite the flywheel end.

2Blue2 and Hnstray like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You may have better luck asking these guys. If anyone can identify it they can.
    AACA Forums

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]When I hear "T" head I think Stutz. Pretty much all I have to offer. This is a 15 Stutz

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.
  8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think the engines were actually made by Wisconsin. And were also used in trucks, tractors and other industrial uses.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. 31 steve

31 steve

Don't think it's a belt drive as there is no crown to the pulley on the flywheel. Seems more like an internal friction clutch to me. There was a water manifold on top of the heads and a manifold under the heads for supply and return but both are missing but would be easy to fabricate if I could just find a pic of what they looked like.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have any idea of what it is, but I do know that if it were mine and it's not completely trashed, I'd be building a car around it now.:)

Hnstray likes this.
  11. 31 steve

31 steve

More pics of the internals. Appears to be almost new inside.Fuel pump is a scotch yoke design. Seems overdesigned for such an early engine.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, Fordors and Hnstray like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

I have no idea but I'm curious to know, the thing barely looks used at all, and has somewhat exotic materials for such an early engine.

Hnstray likes this.
  13. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I still think it's a Wisconsin.

14. SR100

SR100

Rich may be right about it being a Wisconsin, they built T-heads longer than anyone else and made a large number of different models. One thing that doesn't look like a Wisconsin part is the gear cover at the front of the sump. Every Wisconsin T-head I've seen has the cover following the circumference of the gears. This engine has it going straight across. That part actually looks more like a Mercer than a Wisconsin. The access plates at the base of the pushrods don't look like any Mercer I've ever seen, though.
    If the carb is original (and I suspect it isn't), the patent date would date the engine to late 1911-on. There isn't any provision for a self-starter, so that would date it to about 1915 at the latest. The flywheel is set up for a separate gearbox, and those were fading away after about 1912. (Incidentally, the starter operating on the flywheel seems to be what killed off the separate gearbox.)
    I don't see any provision for a cooling system. I assume it was thermosyphon, but there isn't a place for a fan, nor a provision to power one.
    The fuel pump looks like it was added later. It would interfere with the radiator in most cars.
    Did you get an answer from the AACA folk?

15. Do the new plug wires mean that you got it running?

16. I'm not into these types of engines , but that thing is cool.

17. 31 steve

31 steve

Thanks, That is more info than I have found so far! No luck so far with AACA folks. It is thermosyphon but the water outlets are missing, two under the head behind the exhaust manifold and two on top. BTW what makes you think the Rayfield carb isn't original? Weren't they from that time period? Thanks so much. Steve

Hnstray likes this.
  18. 31 steve

31 steve

NO, I have to fabricate water outlets first and build a test stand. Will post when it fires up!

RICH B and Hnstray like this.
  19. SR100

SR100

Just a hunch, really. That Rayfield is, essentially, a sidedraft carb, and needs an adapter to the updraft manifold.
    Have you looked up the markings on the magneto to determine its age? The crankcase was made for a magneto of that size. It would be interesting to compare the age of the carb with that of the magneto.
    How do the priming cups work through the water jacket? Typically they would go directly into the head or through one of the valve access ports not used for a spark plug.
    You might offer a pic of it to www.Prewarcar.com as an entry in their Mystery series.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Nice find! Have you checked the hardware, is it Metric? Citroen used that herringbone gear pattern, it is the basis for their company logo. Bob

2Blue2 and Hnstray like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

It may have come out of an early car with a cowl mounted radiator like this 2 cylinder Renault, that front mounted pump wouldn't be in the way or a normal front mounted radiator. Bob

[​IMG]

22. 31 steve

31 steve

The Magneto is a Bosch DU4 model 5 #667187 and depending on which Bosch chart you use is 1910 or 1911. The Carb is a Rayfield E 2 sidedraft converted to updraft and I have not been able to find any timeframe for. The top says pats. pending so I assume it was made before he got his patent. The priming cups sit atop a drilled highcrown bolt that holds the water jacket covers on. Also the front mounted fuel pump was not an add on, it's shaft is part of the left hand camshaft. I'll try sending pics to prewar car also. Here's a few new pics of the above mentioned items. Thanks, Steve IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3504.JPG IMG_3504.JPG IMG_20171210_162939688.jpg IMG_3503.JPG IMG_3501.JPG

kidcampbell71, SR100 and Hnstray like this.
  23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Is it too early for a Mack truck?

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It’s never too early for a Mack truck.....if you want one, get one. My personal favorite is the B Series Mack.

Ray

SS327, RMR&C and The37Kid like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is just too nice for car use, I've seen ads for estate power plants, generators, this may be from one of them. Bob

Hnstray likes this.
  26. deucemac

deucemac

I did a 1914 American Le France 6 cylinder fire truck years ago and while yours is a 4 banger, the engine has a family resemblance. I know that ALF did make 4 cylinder engines. Fire truck engines used dual ignition ( magneto and point ignition) , I am not sure about civilian and commercial engines.

27. SR100

SR100

Meant to ask: what is its bore & stroke?

28. 31 steve

31 steve

3" bore and 3 1/2" stroke.

29. SR100

SR100

That is positively tiny. 100ci! Much smaller than I expected. That size implies to me cyclecar or half-ton truck.
    Time for a small plate of crow. Hmmm, tasty... When I mentioned the patent date on the Rayfield, I was mixing up yours with a photo I saw on the web (a Rayfield D2 IIRC). So the carb could be newer or older.
    I'm still not sure whether the fuel pump is original. Some T-head engines used the RH cam (as seen from the driver's seat) to power the fan. Here's one on a 1913 Case.
    upload_2018-9-5_18-55-24.jpeg
    The fuel pump may have been built to run off of the fan drive.

30. Squablow

Squablow

2Blue2 and kidcampbell71 like this.