Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '67-'70 Mustang Steering Box Dimensions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JLeather, Sep 3, 2018.

1. JLeather

JLeather

I've seen people mention the early Mustang boxes are good options for front-steer/inside the frame rail boxes, but I can't find all the dimensions I need to see if one will fit before buying it (and wouldn't you know it, all the u-pull-it's are fresh out around here). There's only a couple dimensions I need. The input and output spline pattern, and the height and width of the mounting area (see attached pic, dims A and B). I'm looking at the '67-'70 with the 1 1/8" sector shaft because I *think* it'll fit the same pitman arm as a 525 Sagniaw (36 spline calculated, although the box would only actually have 32 splines and 4 masters). If that is true I can use a bendable/undrilled pitman arm from many of the offroad parts places.

Anyone used a '67-'70 Mustang box in their hotrod build, or have one on the shelf they can measure for me?

Attached Files:

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Ok. I have a 68 Cougar box in mine and the measurements are your A dimension from box to side of mounting bracket is approx. 4.5 inches. The height dimension of bracket is 5 inches. Thread is .875 and the spline is one inch one eighth of an inch. Hope this helps you out.

3. rq375

rq375
    from Washington

Be aware that the 1-1/8 shaft is a mid year change in 67 as well

4. JLeather

JLeather

Thanks for the info. The overall size was good, but it turned out the manual Mustang box has the opposite master splines for my pitman arm (male splines on the box). I ended up with a '63-'68 Corvette box. Same dimensions, but with female masters on the output shaft.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JonP likes this.