Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old age dilemma!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenhills1952, Sep 4, 2018.

1. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

I'm hoping I may get some interesting replies, and I bet I'm not alone in this!
    I've been retired for over 4 years now, and over 46 years my wife and I have collected lots of cars, parts, supplies, tools, equipment...the list goes on. If we had what we have now 40 years ago we'd be in heaven.
    Hopefully we'll still have some years enjoyment, but we don't have children. Our closest young relative lives over 2k miles away and doesn't care about cars. He doesn't need money.
    Yesterday I was thinking what a strange dilemma, to work hard all your life accumulating stuff.
    Maybe the best solution is start selling off cars? It must really be nice for those who have kids or grandkids to pass things down to...ones interested, appreciate, want to know about cars (motorcycles, tractors).

dan griffin, Baron, BigO and 7 others like this.
  2. williebill

williebill

No, you're not alone. I have 2 children, one of each, 39 and 32, and neither of them care about any of my stuff. Not just car stuff, but family heirlooms, and a lot of things I think they should want to keep because of the family connection. Nope, none of it. Beautiful antiques from the early to late 1800s with family history. The antique guys tell me nobody wants it.
    I need to start selling. Beats thinking about what they'll do with it after I'm gone.

Baron, BigO, kidcampbell71 and 8 others like this.
  3. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

you can adopt me.......;)

Baron, BigO, SMLBound and 14 others like this.
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Don’t sell anything you don’t want to! It’s yours to enjoy, either looking at it or using it. By all means get rid of anything YOU don’t want, but not because someone else thinks you should. I’ve got over forty cars and people get mad because I won’t sell them. I collected them when they were cheap, invested my cash and time hauling them home for my benefit.While they were all playing around.
    Do what YOU want to do, your not dead yet, at 65.

PS. I do have a son that likes my cars.

Bones

BigO, 61Cruiser, alanp561 and 8 others like this.

5. Binkman

Binkman

You are certainly not alone !
    I retired 8 years ago, I am in my 60's. Most of my buddies are in their 70's and some in their 80's and one in his 90's.
    We had this exact discussion several weeks ago.
    The hobby is changing rapidly, the interest is waning.
    Only one of my buddies has children who are interested in the cars.
    The rest look at it as a pain in the ass to be dealt with at the end.
    My advice is to keep them if you are attached to them, if not let them go.
    I put a lot of work into all my cars and look at them as milestones and in some cases as art.
    I don't have kids, and I am divorced, the other relatives would have no clue what to do with them. They don't need money.
    I reality when I am gone I really won't care what happens to them, but realistically they should be donated or sold off with the proceeds going to a worth charity or scholarship foundation.
    It took me 40+ years to accumulate them and they are really only significant to me.
    But that is OK.
    I am sure other will have more objective and sensible ideas for you.
    You did well, you should be proud.

dan griffin, BigO, 61Cruiser and 10 others like this.
  6. I collected project cars all through my working life. I thought I would fix one up each year and sell it as income during retirement. The first one took 15 years (I am slow) because I didn't want to sell it after I got it together. Its actually unfinished because I am afraid if I completely finish it then I will sell it. At that rate I would need to live well into my 100s. So I had too many projects and decided to sell off what I knew I would never get around to. I am keeping what I love. I am down to 10 and plan to get rid of more. But then I bought another on a month ago!
    Don't worry about how people deal with your stuff when you are gone, you won't be there to even care, it will be unimportant material things that you can't take with you anyway.
    Enjoy what you love, other people's interests don't matter. If you don't want to sell anything, then don't.

7. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

My parents collected antiques, mostly clocks, which I don't care much for. Dad has passed, Mom's 92. Growing up 30+ clocks ticking drove me crazy!
    A friend is in the moving business. A few years ago he has a moving job for this 20something. As he pulls his big box truck around to the basement door that @%#># is throwing valuable antiques down the stairs! Friend gave me a few things that weren't completely destroyed...all Chippendale!!!!! I would have gladly given her a few $K for the stuff.
    Cars need to go to people who have an appreciation and knowledge of them.

loudbang likes this.
  8. We have 2 daughters & 3 grandchildren and our 42 year old twin girls could care less about the cars & collectibles we have accumulated over the years,only how much cash can they get when we are gone.

Our oldest granddaughter Hannah will inherit Brenda's wagon and when we are gone I'm sure a auction will be in order. HRP

ct1932ford and olscrounger like this.
  9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I need to start thinking about what to do with my stuff,did not have any kids but my sister had one and I know she would not be interested in anything I have.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Not the worst position to be in but I see YOUR "dilemma", no kids to take over the projects.
    It could be worse, with kids, especially non car kids, you could pass on still wondering if the cars would go to a good home, if you have a will, you better have it figured out who gets what because even if they aren't interested in the cars themselves they will see dollar signs only and the fight will be on to grab the most valuable ones first.
    Seen it a few times personally.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    alanp561, Hnstray and slim38 like this.
  11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am in close to the same predicament. I have two kids that want a couple of my old cars, but heaven help them when it comes to maintaining them, as neither have spent a lot of time with me in the shop learning the whats and hows. In our will I have named three of my close friends to be responsible for dispensing with, or keeping for themselves, what is left.

Baron likes this.
  12. As a young guy (36) always find it strange to hear people my parents age or older say "Our children don't have any interest."
    From the day I was born I had the car bug, inherited for my father Willard. Some of my most prized items are my grandfather Robert Nelson Palmer's tools, and things he built or made.
    My Aunt just gave me my grandmother Marian (Kellerhouse) Palmer's Civil Air Defense armband.
    I was looking through old family photographs at my aunt and uncle's house and she said "When the time comes you better get here before your cousin. Or all this will end up in the dumpster."
    I love hearing stories about things the family did or just history in general!

To answer your question-
    Do not sell anything that has sentimental value, talk to your relative try an explain way these things mean so much to you.
    If he doesn't get it maybe try to find a young guy or girl with interest to take under your wing.
    I would much rather see my stuff go to some one who would love it and cherish it the way I do than see it sold or scraped by a family member who didn't care about it!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

At 67 I keep thinking about putting all the parts from each project in one spot, maybe even start a log of what is what. That might even help me, knowing what is there and what needs to be found and bought. Grandson at 6 is addicted to the Hershey Swap Meet, I think the stuff will be in good hands, when I get to the overseeing part of life. I'm the oldest member of the family, lots of Mom & Dads stuff is now here along with things my two Aunts had. Just yesterday after shuffling stuff around in the garage, I found room in the '39 Ford pickup cab for a folding dining room table that has been in the family for 80 years or so. Space is always a problem. I always have found it strange that there are no bits from my Great grandparents, not even a pocket knife, I think that holds true for most people. Family heirloom post may be an interesting thread for the Antiquated Forum. Bob

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  14. deadbeat

deadbeat

Wow, I have never really thought about it. That said I know my daughter and her husband who are both mechanics want my roadster and my tudor project is earmarked to be gifted to someone.. But thinking about all my FE vintage trinkets that I have collected over the years, that's a different story. Just hope my wife doesn't sell them for what I told her I bought them for,,, This has got me thinking now,, cheers

dirty old man and SMLBound like this.
  15. Ive got a pretty good sized hoard. Went to the funeral today of a life long friend who just had his 67 th birthday. I will be 67 in October. However I still don't Think its a problem. Its my stuff and others can think and do as they wish. I plan to do what I want. Our daughter in law is 22 and has stage 4 cancer. So it appears we will be raising the 4 grandkids. maybe they will be interested and want the stuff? The 3 little boys are here and are my shadow and I let them do whatever they want as long as they don't get hurt.

16. topher5150

topher5150

buddy ol' pal ol' friend of mine

Baron, kidcampbell71, desotot and 3 others like this.
  17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I would sell the stuff you don't really want or need. I would also try and document what you have and what you think it's worth. The reason I suggest this is, because a few years ago, one gentleman I was acquainted with a few towns over passed away. His niece inherited everything and hired a crew to clean out the "junk" in the garage, and everything went into a dumpster. Well, I was in his garage a few months before he passed and everyone of us would have loved to have the stuff. Flathead motors and heads, manifolds, headers, 11 Model A motors and on and on. One thing I will always remember is the grill shells from Model T to '40 Ford hanging on one wall. I was sick when I found out.

18. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Someone will get some good deals when I pass. Two boys and a daughter have no car interest so it will all be sold I imagine and since they dont have a sense for the value, hence someone gets a deal. I'll leave them some idea of value but I don't think they will worry about it, especially uncompleted projects. I'm 77 so I'm nearing the bottom of the funnel of life where time flies and you don't get near done what you think you can.

dan griffin, mkebaird and 34toddster like this.
  19. A guy I knew really well he and his wife had no children . He owned a sizeable acreage and a big house. His wife developed MS. And he retired at 62 to take care of her. Well he was bitten with the religious bug. And told me how he had it all fixed. His will gave it all to the church. Well he has a heart attack and dies. The sick wifes sister moves in to take care of her. And throws the guys will in the wastebasket. That way the sick widow inherited. And in a few months the Sick widowed sister dies. And the Healthy sister inherited. No lawyers no probate no inheritance taxes ect. She got a free farm! And she didn't spend on funerals. a $1000 cremation. Wills are not worth the paper they are wrote on.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"one size does not fit all" do what you must to ease yourself from the burden of concern as what to do with much of your stuff - we used to have a place out in the country with a good sized barn converted to a shop, added carports/storage buildings - all the normal tools with drill press; welder; sand blasters; press,etc - most every wall inside & out covered with auto related signs, etc - even stored hundreds of baseball cards/comics that now adult kids wanted saved - always had a project or two that kept me busy -had a 'mother-in-law" unit that was my man cave full of a wide variety of car collectibles, surfing & train stuff too - house full with nice furniture and antiques - sounds good but, that area was hit hard about 10 years ago when housing values collapsed and just started to come back last year - about 3/4 acre lawn and lots of trees/shrubs needing lots of water from a well that had to keep up with more & more dry years - etc - have always been a buyer/seller at swap meets - have friends that passed away and others still around with more stuff than I had - no one in families with the burning passion to keep the flame alive - so, decided to go on a major diet early last year and moved to a semi-normal neighborhood early this year- this involved selling at 10 cents on the $10 because there were not serious buyers out there for most of it - it has been a painful at times journey - but, over the weekend took last load of "must sell" to local flea market - can breathe better with out a lot of excess weight now - still have a project going and lots of car related things to do in new area - never realize how much stuff that you until you move - just get used to all of the stuff and do not notice how much there really is - do what is best for you and yours

21. pitman

pitman

Old Wolf: Sometimes there's a relative,
    In the ointment.

deadbeat and wraymen like this.
  22. 52Muntz

52Muntz
    from PNW

Don’t sell stuff unless it funds something else you’d rather invest in or do. Want to take a lavish trip? ...Then potentially sell some stuff off to fund that... Or maybe sell several cars to buy the one you’ve always wanted. But don’t sell just for the sake of selling.

slv63 and Special Ed like this.
  23. belair

belair

I think some of what you are thinking about here is a legacy of some kind.By all means enjoy your stuff. It's yours, and you can do with it as you please. But can it be used for other things besides yourself? Can others benefit from what you have? Who or what do you want to benefit/bless with your stuff? Is there a person, a family, a cause, or an institution that you can give to in a way that will outlive you? You probably know the answer to those questions. My kids like my cars, but not like I do. I plan to one day liquidate my stuff in order to take care of my wife and kids. They can have one car, but I'm not going to burden them with several, like is being done to me. The money I get from selling out one day will facilitate a new stage of life, and bring happiness to whoever buys my stuff. I'll keep a toe in old car/hot rod world, but there will come a day when my divestment of my stuff will bring a lot of people some kind of joy, myself included. Best of luck.

corndog, slv63 and Hnstray like this.
  24. alwaysamopar

alwaysamopar

Ok so it seems a lot of people are in the same predicament. ..Have you ever thought of maybe sharing your passion with a younger generation of kids who are less fortunate to afford them? And while doing this get your self some enjoyment outta it? Like maybe a under funded high school that has a full class of eager kids wanting to learn? Contrary to current beliefs there is a lot of good kids still out there who are less fortunate than a lot of us. If I didn't have to currently work to support my family I'd love to do something like that.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. If you think there might be a problem ask the lawyer that helped prepare the will where it should be stored. You need a lawyer that specializes in wills to help prepare the will, they are not a "do it yourself" job. Depending upon the circumstances you might be better off with a living trust, ask the lawyer. Maybe the lawyer should keep the original, maybe the executer appointed to administer the estate should have the original, ask the lawyer. Maybe you should file it with the county recorder so there is a record that can't be changed. When a good friend of mine died his wife basically took the signed first page, shredded the rest and replaced the shredded part with something that definitely didn't reflect my friend's wishes. It ended up in court with a lot of money being spent on lawyers.

Charlie Stephens

26. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Don’t sell or get rid of any of it.
    Instead set your
    old ass down and start a list of people who you’d like to have your cars and parts and appreciate them.
    These names can be obtained from different sources. H.A.M.B. or other car forums, nearby car clubs, talking to friends, talking to strangers, or just by stopping g at area car shows and walking up and chatting to those at the shows.
    Take these names and start your list of heirs.
    Anything 34-35 or 36?
    I’d like to be on it.

slv63 likes this.
  27. 55styleliner

55styleliner

My wife and I are childless. I have 1 of my 15 nieces and nephews who like cars. I have a cousin I’m close to that is as sick as I am with the car bug. But, I really don’t care what happens to them when I’m gone. Only how much I enjoy them now.

Randall, 32Dan and Hnstray like this.
  28. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Have you explored the possibility of joining a car club or car-related group of some sort in your area? Possibly there's a local car group that meets regularly for breakfast or cruises occasionally together. In my area even the AACA welcomes modified car owners to join their group. (well, maybe a little reluctantly but they are looking for "new blood" also.) My point is, usually within these groups there are some young people with young families that really enjoy being around the older cars but don't have the money to invest in the hobby at this time. Perhaps you could be a mentor to one of these young fellows or get them interested in your cars and projects if you would be so fortunate to find one..... or more. Don't give-up one the young folks yet. Yes they're dwindling and they're discouraged by some of the HIGH prices they see associated with our hobby but there's still some interested ones out there. I've seen them. Good Luck.

29. 2935ford

2935ford

I am already dwindling my parts, not that I have a lot but to those in need and friends of mine I give it to them.....others I don't know get a good deal.

The other issue going on now.......those that haven't caught up to the real world drop in prices of these cars and still are hoping for Barrett-Jackson prices in market areas that will not support it...........good luck!

RMR&C and Hnstray like this.
  30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Related to the subject even if not automotive although there are 9 cars involved.
    A friends Grandfather is 87,still living on the farm and showing signs of dementia.
    The grandkids have banded together and want to "help" Grandpa out by cleaning out the barn,sheds and outbuildings.
    One building is a large machinery shed that as my friend has told me is stacked wall to wall and to the rafters high with stuff. The one picture he showed me of the inside was a picture of a Studebaker wedged against a wall with stuff piled all around and 5 ft on top of it.The building is stuffed with items dating back to the late 1800's.
    These chucklehead grandkids plan on getting dumpsters to fill without looking at anything.Just chuck it all.
    The scrapman can haul away any implements and cars.
    I offered to buy the contents sight unseen. Nope.
    I offered to pay for the dumpsters as long as I got the contents. Nope
    I offered to inventory the items for free and let them know what was valuable. Nope.
    My friend is one of the grandkids and the only sane on of the bunch.He feels bad about it buy has been out voted.
    Have seen this happen with car parts and cars as well. You can't fix stupid.

deadbeat, Surfcityrocker and Hnstray like this.