Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Road Trips?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CadTech, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

2. I spent 17 years as an over the road professional driver - every day was a road trip
    I love taking my old car for a good long drive partly because I like to drive - and I like to drive my old car- I always prepare for the journey - frequent checks keep big problems from popping up. I carry some tools and small parts on long trips- have not had a major problem in over 36000 miles so far- get out and enjoy your hot rod ![​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, Jet96, Mtn Goat and 2 others like this.
  3. Heading out June 9th to Sudbury Ontario Canada for a car show in Bruce Mines on the 10th- going in the 1946 Ford- drove it from Detroit the day I bought- about same distance I think-

Stogy likes this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just put 750 miles on the Produce truck over Easter Weekend.

Stogy, Jet96 and Asphalt Angel like this.
  5. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Nice 3 window!

6. When I had my 37 Coupe we used to do the pre49 runs. All around the Lake District about 750 miles, down to Cornwall and around the coast line about 850 miles in two or three days.
    Good old times.
    I always try to carry my little ally case with emergency bits and bobs in plus a set of useable spanners and tools, it's only a small box about 15" x 10" x 8".
    I take this in my Center Door "T" too.
    We traveled to Cains in France and to Belgium, in the CDT, I now also take the case in my COE, however the truck is easier as I have a good old trunk bolted on the bed at the back.
    Jus try and be prepared best you can.
    But most of all try and ENJOY. :D

image.jpg image.jpg

7. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Driving LD in the OP's car, you'll need excellent hearing protection or that noise will beat you down.

Stogy likes this.
  8. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Have over 75000 miles on our flathead powered 32 (see avatar) Longest single trip was to Bonneville and back, a total of 4651 miles. Longest single day was about 550 miles on the Bonnevile trip. Usually carry a few tools and some parts(starter, water pumps, electric fuel pump, electronic ign parts etc.)

Stogy and Jet96 like this.
  9. John Burk

John Burk

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since 1968 have driven 300,000 happy miles, 5 trips across the USA.

Jet96, Roothawg and TTR like this.
  12. John Burk

John Burk

Always wanted to drive a roadster cross country so what the heck . Just returned from my 3rd solo trip to Bonneville from NJ . Mine is a 1918 Dodge Brothers roadster pickup , 350 , 3.00 9". Over heats in traffic but is fairly comfortable to drive . Manual wiper , wing windows keep it dry inside during rain . Just enough room for clothes , tools etc . 18 gallon tank . No gauge , goes 5 hrs on a tank . Have taken side trips to the Tetons , South Dakota , Colorado Rockies . I'm 78 which hasn't been a problem . Glad I've done these . People help with problems . Odds are against a serious problem on a 5000 mile trip .

Jet96, TTR and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. :):cool:

As you know I've racked up similar (vintage driven) miles, including several cross country trips, but that's combined total between all (dozens?) I've owned in past 35 or so years. Most single (vintage) car miles I've accomplished is around 70-75K in about 20 years. My Roadster, so far only somewhere between 30-40K miles in nearly 30c years and counting. Obviously I got a long way to go if I wish to meet or exceed your "record".

14. :cool:

15. 32owner

32owner

what color blue is that it bad ass

16. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

Thanks! It was from a pic of a Cobra I liked but then turned out to be a "shake o'this and a pinch o' that" sort of a deal. Russ really killed it

17. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1975 it was an American motors color "Brilliant Blue".

18. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

The 25th of August three friends and I left CA on a three week 4K mile road trip back to the Speedway Museum. we had one '33 coupe , '32 coupe and two '32 roadsters ( without tops) . We left CA and drove Northeast thru Nevada into Idaho to Jackson Wy to the Tetons and Yellowstone NP . From there it was a short drive ( including 5 miles on a muddy dirt road ) to Cody WY to visit some friends . We left Cody and drove East to Deadwood SD then onto MT Rushmore and down to Chadron NB . We drove thru the sand hills of Nebraska to our stop in Grand Island NB . That's where thing got a bit interesting as we had to drive about a hundred miles to Lincoln ( where the museum is located ) in a fairly hard rain that was driven north by a hurricane off the gulf of Texas . After two days at the Speedway Museum ( Should be on everyone's list ) we headed West to Colorado for a couple of days at the Goodguys event in Loveland CO. From there it was thru the Rocky Mountains NP and onto Glenwood Springs before turning South to Durango . The next day was a relative short drive to Mexican Hat UT for the night before driving down thru Monument Valley to Flagstaf AZ . After a great breakfast in Williams AZ it was onto Parker Az and a couple of days rest at a friends house on the Colorado River before driving back to CA . It was a wonderful trip with great friend that we started planning the previous year and finalized the details last Spring . Next year we're planning our fourth trip to Victoria Canada for the Northwest Deuce Days . I might add , that only about 10% of the time we were on interstate highways , the majority was on two lane roads . As you can see our group is totally sold on long distance road trips in hotrods , try it , you might like it . IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0845.JPG IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0906.JPG IMG_0921.JPG IMG_1084.JPG IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0807.JPG