Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 12 Volt, But Still Dim Model A Tail Lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Sep 3, 2018.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png The tail lights on my roadster pu that a few friends and I built in the mid 80's are way too dim. The tail lights are stock Model A, with standard 12 volt bulbs. What is the hot set up to end up with tail lights that can actually be seen during the daytime? What I'm running now are very traditional, but very dangerous. Who sells the least modern looking, yet very bright conversion units that will install in the stock housings without looking like a hack job?
    Thanks

2. fortynut

fortynut

Get a Speedway catalog. It will give you plenty of choices, including digital. There are some things you need to do to make them work for turn-signals. I won't get into it but it's not complicated. One trick from back in the day was to paint the inside, where the bulb goes, all white. Some glued tin foil (a term that has seen its day) or today you can use the shiny side of aluminium foil. Hope you find what you need.

3. Paint inside the tail light bucket with chrome spray paint. I have also used polished aluminum fitted inside the bucket. You will see a major improvement...

4. I had the same issue with my trailer. Painted the inside of the housing white and they are much brighter.

scrap metal 48 likes this.

5. Gloss white paint and the correct bulbs is as good as it gets with incandescent lights.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  6. Other things to check out, make sure there's no voltage drop or resistance in the circuit. I have years of experience with beaters having taillights do strange things when the ground gets corroded. Even the 2002 van I have now has a spot that I probably should solder up to solve a weak ground issue. And it's just a metal contact in a plastic housing, nothing there to rust.

Steves46 and j-jock like this.
  7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Check your grounds. Then look in the light bulb catalog. I use a Sylvania catalog. I don't remember the bulb numbers but I found a 12v bulb that is 32 candlepower and a 50 candlepower for the brake light. To help you understand, the headlight on my 1946 Harley is 32 candle low beam and 50 high beam. As a bonus I have been using these for more than 23 years and none has ever burned out. I have them in my 35 Ford pickup too.

8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The problem is that the lenses are a very thick glass that is a very dark red in color. This doesn't allow much light out. All older lenses are like this. My Olds is the same way, I painted the area around the bulb silver and uses bright bulbs. It helps but they still aren't the best.

9. BJR

BJR

One of the car magazines did a test years ago, painting the insides of 3 identical tail lights silver, and white, and chrome tape. The white was much brighter then the other 2.

catdad49, Truck64 and upspirate like this.
  10. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I went to the auto store in the trailer section and bought a pair of the big square replacement lens. Then used the A lens for a pattern, and cut some new lens with a little coping saw. Took about 5 minutes per lens and made so much difference you won't believe it.

12. upspirate

upspirate

I've used silver and white paint in my black plastic boat trailer lights....the white works better.(not suggesting trailer lights, just had that as a paint example).
    When I did my 29 roadster years ago, I used I think they were '33-'34 lights on the stock stands....they have a full lens instead of the small separate Model A lens for brake and tail

13. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

upspirate likes this.