Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Balboa Timers Car Club 1955

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tbomb428, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone out there in H.A.M.B. land either knows someone or was someone from the Newport Beach, Balboa Island area (Southern California) in the mid-1950's. I'm trying to find a car club plaque or any old photos from the Balboa Timers. My Dad, Chuck McCarty graduated Newport Harbor High in 1955. He was in that car club and has shared a lot of cool old stories about that time with me over the years. I'd love to find a club plaque or photo's of the club members to be able to share with him; he's not getting any younger. Thanks for any leads!

Budget36 likes this.
  2. I don't have the pattern for that one. But ask him if he knew of the Villians of Balboa:

upload_2018-6-18_21-58-41.png

Or maybe the Koolies: (compliments of Bill Junge's site)

[​IMG]

Tbomb428 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Wow, 3 car clubs on tiny little Balboa Island in the 50's? There must've been a total of maybe a hundred homes there, and that's probably pushing it. In the 50's that was just a Summer vacation spot, few people lived there year round.

Tbomb428 likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Thought it was the "T Timers"; have seen quite a few '50s pictures in '50s Car Craft & Rod & Custom. Later, Andy Southard's '50s books have great shots ...

Tbomb428 likes this.
  6. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll ask him if he remembers seeing the "Villains" plaque.

Years ago I saw a post with a picture of a car club plaque collection from The Shifters clubhouse wall and I thought I might've seen one of the Balboa Timers plaques. Anyone know someone in The Shifters and could ask? Thanks again for any leads!

7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

If it was a chapter of the T-Timers, check this page on my website to see if anything looks familiar .....

I also have 15 different Timers plaques on my site, but none from around Balboa or Newport Beach.

302GMC likes this.
  8. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Who's the current Bal-Week historian? they might have pictures

9. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Hi bullet Nose, thank you for the lead. I'll ask him if he remembers anything like this. From what he's told me in the past though is that his plaque featured a checkered flag or crossed checkered flags and they were called the "Balboa Timers".

10. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

Hi Foolthrottle, can you tell me more about what the Bal-Week Historian is? Thank you.

11. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Don't know. Try the Daily Pilot newspaper.

12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

You could also contact a local newspaper to see if they would do a public interest story. Who knows, but there could still be some members around there.