Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAMB help needed Sidney NE!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stormtron, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg Hi everyone,

I know it is a long shot , but I just picked up a 1960 Ford Country Sedan in CA and am on my way home to MN. IN Sidney Nebraska I pulled off the road due to a noice and it looks like the outer wheel bearing seized and welded itself to the spindle. It took out the drum as well.

Does anyone in or near the area have a front drum that would work? It’s a wagon so it has 3” wide brake shoes.

Wade

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Bump for you.....

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

How bad is the hub? There are some tricks to reuse some pretty bad hubs, temporarily. Doesn’t look like help is on the way , yet. Maybe post a close up pic of the damage.

Bones

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the race that is welded to the spindle is hard which means a solid hit with a hammer will crack it and you can get it off. get a new wheel bearing and "knurl" the spindle and hub with a hammer and center punch so the parts will fit without spinning. that should get you home. while you are there you better repack the other 3 bearings....

5. Bump

Full Kustom drunk mobile posting

6. B Bay Barn

B Bay Barn

7. Bump

How are you doing?

Full Kustom drunk mobile posting

8. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We got the outer race off the spindle. The hub is way too far gone on the outside. I probably have 1/4” of play on the race to hub on the outside.

If I can locate a hub I should be able to put my old drum in the new to me hub.

9. Can you one-way rent a U-haul van/trailer and get a winch to pull it up onto a trailer? Some times you have to bite the bullet, and know your limitations. Finding/repairing that '60 in Sidney is a longshot but there should be repair shops in the area. Sourcing a spindle and drum may mean renting a car and driving around the area between Sidney and Cheyenne in hopes of finding an old bone yard. I had an OT car that broke down in Estes Park and had to arrange for a trailer/van from Sterling, CO (60 miles away) to haul it back to Omaha.

When I was 18 I had a '63 Ford that lost a front outer wheel bearing about 60 miles from home - seized the race, pulled the car into a parts store parking lot overnight and spent a few hundred dollars to have a guy come out with a torch to cut off the old race, polish/grind the spindle to put a new bearing on just to get it home. My father never let me forget about that one because he had to come pick me up in the middle of the night when it broke down and take me back to take care of the problem.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s way out there. Might know some people closeish let me holler at em

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Brother says Brule Nebraska has a good junk yard that might be worth a look but he hasn’t got a phone number for ya.

@383deuce @Rocky you guys know anybody out there in no mans land?

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car is now in Ogallala NE. At least they had an auto parts store that was open. I have the bearings and seals but the hub is pretty much impossible to track new ( a long shot I know).

I am thinking the U Haul might be the option to get the car home quickly. Hopefully they will be open in the morning.

13. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

The 1960 full sized Ford might be too big and heavy for a Uhaul trailer.

14. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like U Haul is not an option. It looks like a 1960 Ford is too wide for their car trailers. Does anyone know of a good shipper that could get the car from NE to MN in fairly short order?

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Any chance that a Uhaul dolly would work, behind one of their trucks?

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep, just drop the driveshaft (actually tie it up under the car so the tranny doesn’t leak) but that is a good idea to investigate.

chryslerfan55 and Stu D Baker like this.
  17. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not feel comfortable putting it on a dolly secured by a wheel that is pretty sketchy for 750 miles home.

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

A quick FYI if you were not already aware, the 1960 Fords are the widest automobile ever produced in the U.S. Also, the hood is also a likely candidate for "widest ever" honors, by itself. Have you found what other model year hubs might interchange?

chryslerfan55 and Stormtron like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Tow dollies have safety chains that are intended to be attached to the chassis and/or suspension as a backup to the tire straps. I have towed long distances with tow dollies for specific reasons and, while they are not my favored way to tow, they have their advantages and do work for their intended purpose.

However, if the ‘60 Ford is as extremely wide as claimed, it may not be an option. That said, the wheels of the vehicle being towed are adjacent to the tow dollie’s wheels and are narrower than the body itself. If the front bumper will pass through the tow dolly wheel spacing, the body width behind that is moot.

Whatever you decide, best wishes for safe and prompt transport.

Ray

chryslerfan55 and Stu D Baker like this.
  20. Guessing I would have checked the grease before that long haul - just something I do since a soon to be brother in law had us take his "road worthy" deuce and a quarter Buick to ski in Colorado....I happen to be driving it when I heard and felt it seize some where in New Mexico. We were lucky on that Sunday to have a local cool wrecker/mechanic come out to get us going again back in the 70's....also lucked out as HE called off the wedding to my little sister.....sorry for your situation looks like a good old wagon...good luck !

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

81.2 inches wide is the figure that is stuck in my head, but that could be at the rear. Most trailers I have dealt with were 72 inches wide between the fenders, making bumper removal mandatory for some cars. The second widest car I can recall is an Imperial from 1959, at 80+ inches.

22. Look for a machine shop in the area (fat chance on Labor Day...) that can make up a sleeve to salvage the hub. That will have to be put on a lathe with the drum to clean up the I.D. and accept the repair sleeve. Press in the repair sleeve and race... good as new. Probably a 3 hour job at the minimum.

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

0DF66C78-958C-46CE-9A82-8AD36F6391E3.jpeg
    That car will go on a u-haul trailer. I hauled my 65 Galaxie wagon on one from StLouis to Muskogee, with room to spare. So I know yours will fit. Don’t let them bullshit you.

Bones

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

25. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The update is that we were able to source a hub but we might have to move the existing drum to the new to me hub (wagons have wider brakes). I will likely need a machine shop to help with that piece.

Since we were at it today, we replaced the bearings on the other side this morning. :)

26. I don't...maybe Mayor Dennis does. He's a lot closer than I am.

27. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpg New hub secured. Trying to find someone to remove the drum from the hub. My guess is that we will be able to find someone tomorrow.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice. I’ll keep you in the loop. The above is a picture of the good side. :)

28. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Another long shot, but they are not too far away in Arnold NE.
    I've delat with them twice in the past for parts hauling interstate and they may have the right vehicle or know of others who do.

H & M Transport LCC tel 308 880 1271 or 308 848 3217 for Crystal Hanna or Mike Miles 970 556 9366

Like I say its a long shot but who knows until you exhaust all leads.
    You are lucky to find such a good truck stop in Ogallala, NE.
    You must be getting kind of tied of the smell of cow manure out there by now...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Stormtron likes this.