Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 T Roadster Pick Up build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Mar 27, 2010.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You bet Fred, Harbor freight in McKinney Texas , on N Central Expressway :)

Strangely enough I could not find that stuff anywhere here at home.

Knowing I’d need it I brought some home.

My suitcase was full of stuff for my project,
    I guess it was so odd that they opened and inspected it and left me an inspection notice inside. :D

loudbang, RICH B and tfeverfred like this.
  3. brad2v

brad2v

A leaky part from Speedway?! No kidding....

loudbang likes this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Blue, you're doing a helluva job on your car. Your attention to detail is.... well, inspiring to me. As far as that goes, all I can say is, "Keep it up, man." Now... from what I've noticed, in the last 20 years, or so, is that sometimes parts from a company (domestic or foreign) may or may not work as advertised. That leaves the "home builder" in a quandary, "Do I whine?" or "Do I overcome the set back and move forward?"

There's an old saying about this "Hot Rodding" crap. "Kids were doing this in the 50's." And it's true. They did. And from what I've heard and read, they had to make due with what they had. A lot of times, the parts were junk from a scrap yard. They may have whined, but in the end, they made the shit work.

Keep doing what you're doing. NO road is smooth. But if your head is in the game.... the bumps can not only make it interesting, but you may learn something too. Here's to higher education!

brad2v, 26 T Ford RPU, OFT and 3 others like this.
  5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Today’s project was to get the tank connected to the fuel line that I had previously installed on the frame.

It involved some more creative tube bending and mounting using more of the Made for you t clamps.

Like the rest of the fuel line it’s all 3/8” inverted flare ni cop line and fittings.

The line off the tank comes through a rubber grommet in the bottom of the bed and from there it’s connected to the frame line with a small hose about 5” long with fittings like I used up front no hose clamps at all.

I just have to get it crimped at the hose shop.

So, now the fuel system is fully plumbed from tank to carbs :cool:

I also created a new thread looking for ideas for the tank vent.
    15B8543E-5322-4128-864C-BB32CC512531.jpeg 8A44D3AB-F06B-4CE2-906E-FD4C43B97274.jpeg 89C555CA-C3C5-4782-BC06-F7EB4E1B1784.jpeg E1574135-F75A-4A5D-97E0-546F3407C450.jpeg 82A735E7-5CEB-4F3D-9044-38F5F0B3BF5D.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    The 39 guy, biggeorge, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Like everything else, very well thought out.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I didn’t really like the fitting I had used on top of the tank so I found another one and changed it out.

Then I decided that I didn’t want to use the hose barb on my rollover vent.

I picked up a brass 1/8 NPT coupler and took the valve apart for silver brazing.

Now I can plumb the vent with hard line. :cool:

83E8C394-6555-439D-AA5D-FA1C9E771E99.jpeg

AFA3CF71-F173-45A9-A426-CB2CC959323B.jpeg
    15783E6B-A3D4-4204-88B5-84E44897D7EC.jpeg

brEad, biggeorge, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And now the vent is finished and the tank is bolted in for the final time.

Ready for fuel when the time comes. :cool:

As you can see I made the vent line go up as much as I could and then down thru the bed.

16504293-9B61-482A-B462-8F8CD997D922.jpeg A714EA2D-9E42-41B8-8770-277C9C2EE89A.jpeg

The 39 guy, brEad, biggeorge and 5 others like this.
  9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Excellent work.
    I enjoy watching your build, its great inspiration and gives me lots to dream about (especially now that my project is stalled due to a bathroom remodel eating up my time)

Keep at it
    Bobby

loudbang, 26 T Ford RPU and Blue One like this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since I modified my thermostat outlet for my top rad hose it made the radiator hose adventure a little bit easier.

The bottom hose will be a different matter with the radiator outlet being 1 3/4” and the water pump being 2”.

Being old enough to remember walking into the local repair shop garage or parts store with hose shape mocked up and in hand and being able to browse through hundreds of molded hoses looking for something that would work,
    I thought I’d try it again :D

Good luck :rolleyes: nobody has a lot of hose stock anymore and if they do, it’s way back where customers will be shot if they attempt to get there :D

So after that frustrating experience , at the suggestion from my buddy I started looking at the listings for flexible hoses.

I’ve always liked them despite the other old thread on here where some guys posted their disdain, opinions and other bullshit.

Fact is that a lot of hot rodders over the years have used them and I know that from personal experience as well.

There are times when a molded hose can be found and works good.

Otherwise a flexible hose is the answer.

I started looking at what Dayco offers for flexible hoses and found a perfect one for the top hose.

The bottom one remains to be seen when my parts gal gets it in.

If that doesn’t work I’ll move to plan B for the lower hose.

Oh by the way I only use high quality stainless gear clamp hose clamps, they don’t have the usual perforations that can cut the hose.

205AA93E-8D05-4F67-8A1A-98C94F528FFA.gif 777E00D1-C450-46BC-A1E1-69EFE0376D63.jpeg E82A750F-4A62-4BA3-840A-0A1615ABE8EE.jpeg

daddio211, Tim, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  11. Man that sucks Larry where did you go? The NAPA out here in St Albert let me go into the back and check what they had, wasn't a ton (50 or 60 hoses maybe), but I found a bottom hose that I could cut down and ended up being perfect and then I had them look through a catalogue that gave pretty good dimensions and pictures for my upper hose and they ordered it in for me and a couple of cuts latter I had a perfect upper hose as well.

loudbang likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I tried bumper to bumper, they let me in back to see what they had, 15 hoses.

Then I tried Napa same thing, limited stock.
    So I tried Part source and Canadian tire their first question was year and make of the vehicle :rolleyes: :D

It’s not like it was when I was growing up anymore and another thing is that even when they have hoses a lot of them are smaller diameter or metric, stuff that doesn’t fit our old stuff.

You were lucky, I’m quite happy to use the flex hose.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

loudbang likes this.
  14. Your's works well with the flex hose as you have a pretty straight shot. Mine both had sharp 90 degree bends so flex hose wasn't an option. I don't mind the look at all.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  15. I like the look of flex hoses, even though I prefer to use formed hoses. I drove my Roadster to the HAMB drags 2 or 3 years ago, and when leaving for home Sunday morning I notice the engine was moving a lot, I'd broken the welds on a motor mount. Well I thought I could nurse it home, 3 hours away. I made it half way and stopped for gas and to stretch my legs. While I was filling up the lower radiator hose popped from rubbing, because of the broken motor mount. O'Reilly's was just two doors down, so I drove over there and tore it down in the parking lot. I went inside and asked to see their hoses. Guy wanted to know year, make, model and engine. When I told him his face just went blank. He gave my old hose to another guy, he asked if it was for a tractor. Anyway, he went in the back and brought out 3 hoses that weren't even close. So I took my hose and went in the back with him. I found a hose right away that I could cut my hose out of. I was surprised at how many hoses they had. As I was putting the hose on, a guy in a really big jacked up 4X4 Chevy crewcab dually pulled in, I thought , this guy has to have a welder. He did in the next town over. I made it there, and him and a really rough looking buddy with face tattoos helped me fix the broken mount. Both of them were supper cool, and wouldn't take any money, or my offer to buy them lunch. That was a good day, I was lucky.

Just Gary, Knghtcadi, cactus1 and 9 others like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It is truly amazing how many good days start with a broken hot rod in unknown territory. There are great people out there we just don't hear about them.

Stogy, brad2v, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. Shadow Creek

Shadow Creek

Who makes the hose clamps that you use?

Stogy likes this.
  18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A Swedish company
    http://www.normaamericasds.com/brand/aba
    I buy them locally here at Greenline hose, but they sell them on Amazon and that auction place.

Any industrial hose supplier should have them.
    0BA8B9F1-CE53-4269-9DD2-DB170525DC7F.jpeg B54149D7-1816-4649-B673-BB76A0CF453B.jpeg B20AE97A-53FD-4B86-8819-FC3001040F8F.jpeg

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Those are some nice looking clamps. I agree about the holes.
    As a side line they recorded some music. o_O

Blue One and loudbang like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, yesterday I mixed up a tiny bit of blue paint to do some touch ups under the car.

While I was at it I used a little to detail one of my HAMB tag toppers.

I installed the threaded inserts and installed license plate lights.

There’s no room above the plate for a light and once I installed one off to the side, I realized that for balance I needed one for the other side.

I polished up the tag topper and because it wasn’t going to be possible to mount it on top of the plate I picked a spot on the drivers side lower corner of the bed. :cool:
    Larry
    514D3B29-346A-46C4-9846-74A0B500E6F4.jpeg 47830E42-4E2F-49EA-9A8F-125A651433E6.jpeg
    View attachment 4023019
    90DD3180-3CF2-477D-BE67-A70C1913367B.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Front portion of the exhaust system in place, we’re getting really close to installing the body :cool:

997087CD-4541-4C55-9D00-4EBB2BA5E2DE.jpeg

The 39 guy, tfeverfred, brEad and 3 others like this.
  22. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

You can get rubber radiator hose reducer bushings in 1/4" increments from 1 1/2" all the way up to 3" I think.
    I know you can get them through NAPA. I think Gates makes them also (I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same)
    If you google "radiator hose reducer bushing" you should come up with tons of links.
    Here's the link to NAPA, all of the bushings start with NBH and then 901, 903, 94, etc
    https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBG901
    [​IMG]
    I had to use a bushing like this mating the lower hose of my 500 Caddy to my Dodge radiator in my 49 Ford

Bobby

daddio211, Tim, 26 T Ford RPU and 5 others like this.
  23. Thanks for that info! I’ve never heard of those.

Stogy and bobbytnm like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A hose bushing is also one of the things I have considered for the bottom hose.

Dayco and all the hose manufacturers offer them.

brEad and Stogy like this.
  25. To quote one of the greats.... "impatiently waiting"

I really wanna see this thing outside and done. I'm sure you do as well. ;)

brEad, RICH B, Blue One and 1 other person like this.
  26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, I do, and I want to drive it too. It's starting to look like that will be next spring. Quality not quantity :D
    So stand by. ;)

Looks like I won't be able to use the flexible hose for the lower rad hose. Too tight, so I've ordered the stuff for plan B.
    In the meantime I've got lots to occupy what time I have now that I'm back to work after my summer off. :cool:

Stogy and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  27. rjgideon

rjgideon

It's too bad the auto parts stores don't carry a bigger selection. I made a template out of welding rod and walked in to an O'Reilly's here in Texas. The lady let me go behind the counter and they had a whole wall - about 30' long with three rows full of hoses. I was able to find sections of two different hoses that I could cut out of the hoses that would work for my upper and lower radiator hoses. I then traced the numbers back to find the original cars those hoses were made to fit and made note of those in my build journal just in case I ever need to replace them.

Not sure if you have O'Reilly's in Canada. If not, make a template with some pictures and message me for my address. I can go to the same store and ship them up to you.

brEad and porkshop like this.
  28. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I played hell when trying to find a premolded radiator hose for my 500 Caddy in my 49 F1. I can't remember how many times I went to the parts stores and bought numerous hoses trying to find something that would work. I ended finding my solution at the hardware store in the electrical section. I used a 90 degree sweep for electrical conduit and then used 2 shot rubber hose pieces on either end.

29. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The bean counters for the chain parts stores have a "$ per square foot" of floor space that determines the stock on hand. Stores parts orders are based on recent sales. Things not sold in a certain time are sent back and not reordered except as a special order. They skim the cream from the car parts market and have run the old parts stores out of business. The guys that develop the computer catalogs are computer guys not car guys. Most of the people behind the counter have never seen a set of points or owned a car with a carburetor. Paper catalogs and people who know how to use them are fading fast and every year listings fall out of the back end. I worked for CarQuest, Kragen, and O'Reilly's and this all makes me sad. The hoses you need are out there but as all have said it is tough to find them.