Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs In a little garage in a little town tucked away in the corner ...,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Aug 29, 2018.

1. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The car looks like it was good quality work by someone who lacked vision on creating a cohesive design. So close yet so far, redo the headlights, bumper(s), and it could be good looking. just my
    opinion.

2. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i have to agree the head lights and bumper would have to go.

lucky ink likes this.
  3. As with all customs, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most of us seem to agree that those hideous headlights are a fad that is gladly over with. I will just say the car is "interesting".

Cosmo50 likes this.
  4. goldmountain

goldmountain

While the headlights Don't fit the hamb world view, stock Cosmo headlights are ugly too IMHO.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

trulyvintage and cretin like this.
  5. Agreed, but he went (sorry to use another analogy) from the frying pan to the fire!

6. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

This apparently was the inspiration...[​IMG]

lumpy 63 likes this.
  7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He just predicted the current designs for Rolls Royce.........

8. jigee

jigee
    from sweden

trulyvintage likes this.
  9. wsdad

wsdad

Maybe if they were pop up headlights with body colored covers? Or even faux covers that you could manually snap on and off.

10. Thanks for sharing.

trulyvintage likes this.
  11. greener200

greener200

Well ,The guy had a whole lotta love in his heart ,but there must have been a "driving factor" ,,,,,, ,most of us were taught from the very beginning ,square pegs go in square holes ! I can still here his wife saying ,,,," You put in my headlites in that car ,,,,I,ll give you ANYTHING YOU WANT !"

12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you for sharing .

trulyvintage likes this.
  13. verde742

verde742

move along citizens,,, nuthing to see here,,,,,

All that meat and no potatoes .
    work ......... thought.....

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  14. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

The front of that car and my hairy ugly ass are an exact match:D

raven and 49ratfink like this.
  15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Joe Bailon would have liked it.

trulyvintage likes this.
  16. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I knew a guy who had a Hollywood Graham, it was a thing of beauty but had those rectangular headlights in the fenders. Finally he changed them and the car is twice as beautiful. That is what should happen to the Lincoln in the future.

17. DBA8AB18-0B9A-40E9-A8B9-C22CC8066204.jpeg

In the same garage .....

This custom build which I took five videos of
    just in case - someday - the owner wants to sell it .....

Jim

Bowtie Coupe and upspirate like this.
  18. upspirate

upspirate

Now that is nice....please tell me he didn't put square headlights in it

19. Different builder .....

The guy that owns the garage where the 1949 Lincoln Custom is stored built this.

It has conventional round lights - but even if it didn't - it doesn't matter ....

Passion manifests itself in many forms - rectangular & round - it is all Good.

Jim

upspirate likes this.
  20. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I’ve seen very few “customs” that I liked better that the stock original. Some times they are just butt ugly. Seems sometimes the builder just wants something different, not necessarily better. But that’s just me, here we see a lot of work... but in my opinion, little accomplishment. But that’s why we have different strokes for different folks. That’s what makes the world go round.

Bones

cretin likes this.
  21. 38mag

38mag

No, '58 Chevy

22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

A man took his abilities and a butt ugly car to begin with and built HIS custom interpretation of an automobile . Respect THAT! And if you can not say something nice, then shut the hell up! There are tons of traditional custom cars posted on this site that are just as questionable in design as this one , but they too where a mans vision. If your custom design is so much better than lets see it. Larry

wraymen and trulyvintage like this.
  23. Justin in PA

Justin in PA

The '54 Chevy above WAS built by the same guy. The current owner of that car didn't build it. I knew the builder quite well and while the Lincoln wasn't my favorite of his builds, the '54 was and is. That car was completely chopped, sectioned, and customized in a little garage outside of Knox, PA. It was, however, painted by someone else who did a great job also.

bct likes this.
  24. Was the Lincoln featured in Rodders Digest ?

25. The current owner of the 1954 Chevy Belair has owned it for 48 years - that is who I interviewed - he gave me the impression he oversaw the build on his own car.

He wishes to remain anonymous at this time
    so if you know who he is - please respect his privacy.

I went back over the five videos I took.

He makes reference to “ We “ several times during the build description but does not specifically mention Wink as working on the car.

Jim

26. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

nice work,bad taste

27. I have to agree, the square headlights hurt to look at. And I like most custom cars. But the key to a good custom is the flow, and those lights flow like molasses in January. Even for the period this was built there are lights that seem like they may have been better choices. Even worse, the rear doesn't match, seems like it should have some rectangular lights too.

Like that's the one thing that bugs me about a 63-64 Riviera is round headlights and rectangle taillights, if I did one I'd put something like slightly frenched '60 Pontiac lights in the back.

Oh well, just my opinion.

28. Amen Larry

trulyvintage likes this.
  29. When the cover first was lifted - my first impression was WTF is going on with the headlights.

But then I started looking thru the old photo album of pictures - lots of pictures - of the build - and the headlights “ came into focus “ ....

I collect bumper stickers & post a few on the back of my trailers(s) - the most significant ones to me are given by folks I meet in my travels.

44E7A011-678A-48A1-B426-F1668A533018.jpeg

Jim

juan motime and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.