Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sunday; Monday and Friday in hot lanta. Three big days.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  2. Stogy all the above. It started as a snap on 12 inch ratchet. It was cut and a section of chromeolly tubing was grafted it to make it 28 inches.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Seriously glad someone is watching out for you. I don't believe in coincidences.
    Marcus...

chryslerfan55, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  4. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I will be folowing your drag week adventure.

5. loudbang and racer-x like this.
  6. I hope to see a lot of hambers at the track. Several hamb members will be racing. Squirell; tricky steve; hemi Joel are the guys I hang with. There are a few others coming. Come out and cheer us all on.
    Just a word on the rules. If a car is chosen for impound leave them alone. There are strict rules on what they can and can't do. You can not help anyone competing unless you are a competitor. Also don't take it personal if the competitors seem a little short. Most have gone days with little sleep. Most are hungry. The pressure to do well keeps everyone very focussed. Everyone has a lot of work to do each day. Time management is critical. The way it goes is make a pass as soon as possible. Then turn the car around asap to get back on the road. This is not the power tour. If you get to your hotel before its dark and you have eaten you are doing better than most. Its the ass whip race of the year. Truly for the hard core. This aint tv this shit is real.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Spot on Brian. We love the spectators, but it can be hard to socialize while racing. Some things take concentration so you can remember where you are at in a sequence. Like adjusting the clutch - you have to turn 6 adjusters the same number of turns. If I do 3, then start talking to someone, I forget if I just started the 3rd on or if I just finished it.

See you at Drag Week, safe travels!

8. Going to bed it's been a 16 hr day. I found a rear main leak now. That will be dealt with as soon as the sun comes up. It never ends. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

9. squirrel

squirrel

fun stuff, ain't it? :)

got mine fired up tonight. Still a whole lot to do to make it roadworthy...

10. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I will see you in Atlanta the final day. That will be on Friday right?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

yup, Friday is the last day. Racing starts later that day, usually around 1 pm?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The last day you can put in more timing, boost, and percentage no

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. That's the plan.

loudbang, squirrel and Runnin shine like this.
  14. I got up early and ran down to lake county hose in illinois. The line from the pan to pump was leaking. The swivel fittings some how became loose. When I got home I took care of the rear main seal leak. I started it up tonight and it's dry. Finally. During the drying time mark and I worked on the war wagon. We are much more organised. Each year you lean more. The rest of the night was spent mixing nitro. I'm pre mixing it this year to save valuable time. I don't know how many days the car will make it but I have to be prepared for a minimum of five passes. That means 35 gallons. 20180903_172405.jpg

15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Special Sauce is ready to serve...Go Racer-x Go...;)

16. Motor_Psycho

Motor_Psycho

Good luck at drag week!

racer-x likes this.
  17. Are they streaming Drag Week this year ?

18. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

What percent nitro are you running? I'm sure you mentioned it long ago but I don't recall

19. Live stream should be on hot rod magazines sight. They usually have a link. I'm pre mixing at 75 percent at 70 degrees. The percentage goes up as it gets hotter out. I can then tickle it with a Beemer or two to arrive at 80 percent if I choose to.

20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am figuring you and Squirrel will make it to the final day that is the day I will be there:)

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  21. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

That's a nice amount of nitro, hope all goes well. I will be watching to see how people do. Good luck to all the HAMBERS.

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Brian excuse my naïveté but I presume the “big show” cars are running at or near 100%? Might this remaining 20% cushion be the difference between the complete service that is commonplace and your ability to leave for the road trip to the next track? Or is it much more complicated than that things like putting it on kill out the big end?
    Skipping past all the tuning required to the complete chassis and drivetrain to handle another 10-20% load on your car would equal substantial broken or spent engine parts would it not? Or is there any likelihood the new Hemi will see above 80% at some point?
    Of course I understand it’s not all about American mentality of can we just dump more in it. We’ve all heard the legend of the the guy out west who strapped some surplus rockets on his impala and drove through the brakes into a mountain

23. Nitro percentage is only one piece of the tune up. Timing plays as big if not a bigger part in the tune up. Boost is the other big one. I'm limited on boost because I can't run a stripped blower on the street. The teflon strips that seal it up wont laat one mile. They need to be replaced after each pass on a big show car. I also dont want to run a 14-71 with a big ugly carbon fiber injector. While both of those parts would help build big power they would be out of place on my car. I also won't put a big wing on it.

24. squirrel

squirrel

And a few of us really appreciate what you're doing, in that regard....

25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2

chryslerfan55, Stogy and racer-x like this.
  26. Some of the fastest dw cars are basically slow pro mods. That's not my thing.

mad mikey, egads and David Gersic like this.
  27. They're currently limited to 90%, but as Brian points out, there's more to it that just percentage....

28. One last check out ride. It's taco Tuesday at cabbage heads in beautiful down town franksville. Just across the street from the feed and seed store. You cant miss it there is not much here. I figured this would be a good place to stop. 20180904_182427.jpg

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Wouldn't you be eating franks in Frankville? :D

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  30. The Frank's part comes from the Frank's Sour kraut factory that used to be here. Thats why my town is called franksville. There's lots of cabbage grown around here by hard working germans. Nothing like a brat covered in kraut with a cold beer. Thats a good wisconsin dinner right there.