Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Yeah. Points get you more tradition, um, points!

I have not messed with a dual point in years, but have also been considering it on my current build. It's been hard keeping the hei working with the import modules they sell nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Points can be fixed on the side of the road without needing a computer.

3. Points are okay. We ran them in the stock cars up to 7000 RPMs, they just needed to be chucked every few weeks. Blue Streak and Accel were the only ones that held up.

OahuEli, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Still some good ones in the junk yards. Been using the same one for a while

Ben

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. squirrel

squirrel

Steven finished the dash last night, he made the cover, the tach mount, and wired everything. This morning he did some more wiring stuff, and is building the parachute mount. I'm in the carbs right now, freshening them up.

The pushrods arrived, and I finished assembling the heads yesterday afternoon, so we need to do a few more checks, then drop the engine in and get it all together. Still waiting on front springs, which are supposed to arrive today.

dash02.jpg

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like your son has learned well from his dad. The dash (as well as everything else) looks great.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Jim.Me thinks that you and your Son need to swap shirts.His describes you to a"T":rolleyes::p:D.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

WHY can't "I" make this kind of progress on my projects??? Jim's a machine; relentless. Go Jim, GO!!! GO!!!!!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. kursplat

kursplat

i don't recall, do you have a cable drive tach already? if not, i have one for you that's just taking up shelf space

Attached Files:

10. A week to get ready... what a flog. me and my brother once built a stock car in 6 weeks. On weekends I slept in the garage and woke up more than once with a cat curled up on me... We lived on pizza and egg sandwiches.

11. ...my shop is never this clean!
    upload_2018-8-31_8-50-35.jpeg

12. squirrel

squirrel

I have to stop to clean up frequently, it makes work go faster if you can find stuff, and move around, and have a place to work on the next subassembly.

13. looking good Jim!

loudbang likes this.
  14. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Probably a lot of guys have done the last week no sleep flog. Mine was 1980 when I bought a wrecked 4 bar sprint car chassis and suspension in California and brought it home to Alaska. I straightened the chassis and converted it to fit the local West Coast Dirt Modified rules by fitting all the running gear from my San Jose coupe chassis in it. Sounded pretty simple at first to make a self start gasoline sprint car with a clutch, but there were not a lot of places to put all the extra stuff and I should have bought more of the original car, haha.

Anyway, 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night for the last week and we made it to the track in time for the main event on opening day, the last race of the day. It was opening day for the new dirt track too. The guys rolled the car off the trailer and fired it up while I got into my Nomex suit and got in the car.

Pulled on the track at the back of the field in a new untested car and won the main event of that first day by a 3rd of a lap. I drove in the loose rough shit right up against the wall and almost never lifted out of the throttle. The old buggy spring Modified cars couldn't do it.

Won the local and state championships that year and pretty much ended the Dirt Modified class. The next year there were 4 four bar cars and the year after that we had a sprint car class and the Modifieds were gone. Worked out good for me, but I've never been so tired in my life, haha.

Stay after it Jim you'll make it and the long hours now will all be worth it.

ratrodrodder, Chris, OFT and 15 others like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

sneak peek. The short block is in, one head set on, playing with exhaust, etc. New tires/wheels will be on it soon.
    progress15.jpg

16. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

I still have my Lunacy shirt too Jim. A great game!!
    Tom

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and squirrel like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

I loved that game, most folks hated it. We happened to build a good robot that year.

norms30a and loudbang like this.
  18. That front fender's longer than a rope!

19. VOETOM

VOETOM
    from MO

Found a good image of our Team 1987 machine in Atlanta on Archimedes for you and your son Jim..

View attachment 4018790 [/QUOTE]

Attached Files:

20. squirrel

squirrel

here's the electronics box from our Lunacy robot :) and the rest of the robot, ready to ship to a competition. I guess that's a long time ago!

The car is mostly wired, I need to figure out something about rocker arm thrust washers.

major tom.jpg 2009robot.jpg

TFoch, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. I'm sure you checked it but I will mention it any way. The head gaskets can only go on one way so the push rods don't hit the gasket. In a thrash it's easy to miss.

22. squirrel

squirrel

I'm taking my time enough to check that stuff, but thanks!

progress17.jpg

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Jim wondering on the brakes..residual valve for the front? The rocker arms are the ginch...

loudbang likes this.
  24. Shiney wheels !

loudbang likes this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

26. ironrodder

ironrodder

I'm sure you've checked but is there room for a blower?

loudbang likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

heh...the blower fits, I had it on there last week. The PBR can is an old steel one, 16 oz NHRA regulation. It might be a move up from Schlitz, I'm not sure.

I took the RPV valve out of the master cylinder. I might need to add them (lighter for the front), we'll see.

6 new wheels and tires on this car....not really the way I wanted to go, but I think they'll work ok.

kiwijeff, Deuced Up!, OahuEli and 2 others like this.
  28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin forward to seein what ya got!

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe you have christened the fish..... "Lunacy" !

Krazy Kuda maybe?

loudbang and low budget like this.
  30. I am so impressed with the speed at which you are putting the car together, particularly in view that it is an original build. I hope you will do a youtube of the first time you fire it up.
    I never ran a MOPAR, so I will have to be satisfied that I will see this one run and imagine that I am along for the ride.
    I hope that all the little crap that happens when you are finishing a build has an easy solution and that you get it running in time.
    Bob