Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1929 Ford Model A coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Horace05, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Opinions on putting hydraulic brakes on 1929 Ford Model A coupe or changing chassis. Also I'm installing a Flathead V8.

2. Do it. Easy and great modification

kidcampbell71 and osage orange like this.
  3. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Hello Hitchhiker, I'm looking for others suggestions on maybe other chassis or other years of Fords far as different straight front axles and different rear end. I heard the 1929 Ford Model A body might fit on a 1937-1940 ford chassis?

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Get the Tardel book about building a V8 A, has a lot of good info. It's easy to put hydraulic brakes on a Model A , 39 thru 48 brakes are almost a bolt on. My avatar is a 28 with a V8 60 flathead, 4" dropped axle and early Ford driveline. I'm building a 30 Sport Coupe with an 8BA flathead and early Ford driveline, using 40 Ford brakes, stock frame stepped 3", 4" dropped axle . No need to change the chassis to build a flathead powered Model A.

Attached Files:

osage orange likes this.
  6. Whoever told you that is not worth listening to about ANYTHING to do with old Fords, follow the advice about the Tardel book, you'll learn a ton even if you don't choose to do some of those things.

7. While it "could be done" there is no reason to mount a model A on a later chassis....except a 32. The stock frame would be more than fine for flathead. Been done thousands of times overy the years.

lothiandon1940 and osage orange like this.
  8. Given enough time and money anything can be done. Here is a site showing frame drawings: http://wescottsauto.com/SubIndexes/Techindex.html As you see the Model A is straight on top and the newer ones have contours. Nothing would fit. Plus the later frames are too wide and too long. Definitely not a good idea unless you are building a Rat Rod. As someone else posted, find a new friend to listen to about early Fords.

Charlie Stephens

osage orange likes this.
  9. Horace05

Horace05
    from Texas

Hello Model A Gomez, Will the Model A rearend be ok with a V8 flathead? Thanks

10. Yep. Until it breaks. :)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Look for my thread for self energizing self adjusting Bendix brakes on my avatar. Lockheed brakes are awful

12. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The axles are the same size on a Model A as a V8 rearend, all the bearings will interchange but the ring and pinion are smaller. The weak point is the axle keys, I've stripped them on my banger powered 30 pickup. A stock rearend will hold up as well as a later Ford closed driveline, neither will take a lot of abuse. There have been thousands on A's with flatheads and stock rearends. My avatar had a stock rearend and the coupe I'm building also has a stock rearend.