Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 edsel ranger build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmnm, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Seemed to have been running a little hot so it got a new thermostat. Still had a quiet misfire, which I think is due to the vaccume leak we ended up finding. My wiper motor is vaccume and that seems to be the leak. 20180829_190424.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  2. Not sure on the Edsel but are the wiper motors under the dash inside the firewall or under the removable grill at the base of the windshield? If inside sometimes some light oil in the hose can cure a leaking diaphragm if it is just not sealing. If the diaphragm is ruptured, well then it will need replaced.

loudbang likes this.
  3. loudbang likes this.
  4. manyolcars

manyolcars

For that much money, get an electric wiper motor

warhorseracing likes this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

I agree....some of the first UPS trucks I drove had vacuum wipers....going up a hill or accelerating= no wipers.
    Maybe an Edsel has a vacuum canister to help even things out, but my opinion of vac wipers is not good

loudbang likes this.
  6. Make sure also that the distributor mechanical and vacuum advances are working properly and that the initial timing and total advance are set to specs. Running with ignition timing retarded will also cause engine temps to run higher. Driveability and fuel mileage will suffer as well.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Everything timing wise seems to be right on spec. I just put a new timing chain on it and lined up the dots perfect so I dont think it is retarded any. The thermostat did seem to solve the problem.

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  8. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I have been trying to find a vaccume guage but I dont have enough time to order one as the show is on Monday. As I am taking autoshop through a local college there are required tools the auto shop has to have. Because I have taken autoshop so many times I've become pretty good from with the teacher, so I'm hoping he will have one he will let me use.

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang likes this.
  9. Newport Engineering, not cheap at $225 and got hit up $10 for the install tool and $10 for a switch extension. But it looks and works great. wiper.jpg

loudbang likes this.

10. If you're lining up dots on the crank and cam sprockets, that's setting the valve timing relative to the crankshaft position. By changing out the worn timing gears and chain, you've also altered the ignition timing if you didn't make any distributor adjustments. The ignition timing is set independently from that by rotating the distributor housing one way or the other.

loudbang and Hotrodmnm like this.
  11. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Correct, I have already gone through and changed that as well. I did that when I put the distributer cap on.

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang and warhorseracing like this.
  12. Sounds like you've got a handle on it. ;) It's just that your previous statement made it sound like you might have thought that replacing the timing gear set was also going to set the correct ignition timing. Keep diggin' in and get 'er rolling! :cool:

13. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Got her registered today! Going to be very tight if I'm going to make it to the show Monday. But I'm hoping for the best. Will keep you all posted! 20180830_191752.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

14. You are getting close. Now don't let the little details bite you like my wiring did me. No harm but no fun driving around either.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

So we switched the base plate out with another 1850 holley that we had, and that fixed everything. We also polarized the regulator and no luck with that. So we might be taking it for a voyage later today;)

~Hotrodmnm

17. Keep it up and you will make it to the show Monday. Good luck and post back as to how everything goes.

18. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Today was the most productive day I've had on this car in a long time! The show Monday is starting to look more and more promising! Let the rest of the weekend go as smoothly!

~Hotrodmnm

19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Good luck and happy wrenching.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  20. upspirate

upspirate

Just a thought, if you replaced the cap and timed it before you replaced the timing chain & sprockets , The timing may not be set correctly as it was set to a worn relationship to the crank??? Not sure, just asking??

loudbang likes this.
  21. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

When we put in the new timing chain and gears, we pulled the distributor and rebuilt the distributor, pulled the weights and cleaned them greased everything up checked the springs and reset the points and re installed it to the correct timing. Figured as long as we were there get it done. It is right on and the advance comes on nice and smooth.

Sent from my SM-G935V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang, ClayMart and upspirate like this.
  22. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Sooo the start of body work has begun.... as you should remember the big rusty whole on my fender. Has now turned into hours worth of tacking. But there is no rust! Will show you when done! 20180901_130852.jpeg 20180901_142924.jpeg 20180901_145345.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

23. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

And it's back on the road! Screenshot_20180901-171757_Video%20Player.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

24. Big ugly rust hole GONE!:D You're doing some nice work there and correctly. Please tell me that you also welded the hole in the wheelhouse. Pictures don't show it.

25. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I did, I couldnt get a picture of it. But I did do both sides, even did some welding from inside the trunk:) It is now painted and the skirts are back on!

~Hotrodmnm

loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  26. I really figured you did with the typical work you have been doing. How is it driving now?

loudbang likes this.
  27. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

Seems to be driving perfect. Tranny is tight no slips, no dead spots or misses. Sounds great!

~Hotrodmnm

28. Hotrodmnm

Hotrodmnm
    from payson

I forgot to post this but here is the finished rust spot! Absolutely no bondo! Just straight metal! 20180901_195802.jpeg

~Hotrodmnm

29. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

This is absolutely great!

loudbang likes this.
  30. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.