Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome work , been there and done that myself.
    Don't worry about ride height at present, just plan how it's going to look .
    The body work comes first, if you don't have a nice body ,you have nothing to resemble what it once was. When people first see your ride they will first say beautiful body then second nice stance.

2. Roger53

Roger53

You'll aways have to keep some this what I started with pic's because when finished people will not beleave what you started with! Looking damned . Roger

3. Model T1

Model T1

I started at the beginning. It's lookin darn good considering what you started with. Still it'll just be another old 40 Ford.:rolleyes:

4. rowycoracing

rowycoracing

Great build thread! Thanks for posting. It motivates me to keep working on mine!

5. Whada ya say 1/2done????

6. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Wow, all the interest in my old rust bucket blows me away! I rolled it out of winter storage into the main garage, but that's as far as I got so far.
    Gratuitous artsy shot.
    40whizzer.jpg

7. mike bowling

mike bowling

Don't do that either!! ( I've got a feeling you won't). If you need inspiration, look at Cushenberry's-"El Matador" after that got baked in a garage fire. The reconstruction of that car was amazing. " (I'm sure someone can post pictures of that, but it ain't me- computer illiterate!) 40's are TOO COOL. Good luck with it .-------- BTW- my first car ( at 15- with no license) was a '40 Coupe Deluxe with a "56 Olds motor ( with tri- power) that I bought for $150. bucks way back in 1964. I burnt a 6 ft. diameter area of my old man's front lawn ( leaky carbs) and that didn't last too long!

Last edited: May 28, 2015
    Spoggie likes this.
  8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Beautiful work!

9. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

10. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Unfortunately I haven't made much progress this summer. I started working on reversing the front spring to lower it. I needed to make a tool and kept putting it off, I just can't seem to get motivated to work on anything lately. Then I got drilled on the freeway in the OT car I've had for 17yrs and all my time has been focused on that. As for that new thread, there's cars in there way above the caliber of my rust bucket.
    Here's how it looks as of now, frame is just sitting on the axle at the moment.
    40rake_zpsopta0fp7.jpg
    Maybe after the OT car is done I'll get back on it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I never thought it would look that good. Those other guys have nothing on you. Some are just farther along. Sorry about your other car and I totally understand not being able to get stuff done.
    I knew a guy in the '60s that wrapped the front axle with pieces of old inner tube and used big U bolts to hold it to the frame. It had a great stance but rode a bit rough. It was a '36 three window. I guess it could be called a 1 springer.

Spoggie, jerseyboy and volvobrynk like this.
  13. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

1/2, I agree with Six Ball, when I read that new thread I immediately thought of your thread. Good luck with your OT car.

14. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

My OT car is back on the road so I finally got around to working on this again. I needed motivation, so I vice gripped the front end on and rolled it out.
    IMAG1576_zpsjjx2cpwe.jpg
    The next thing I need to do is the frame. The rails I have need some work so I made a jig and tacked the rail to it.
    IMAG1631_zpsogz83scu.jpg
    Cut out the rusted section.
    IMAG1632_zpsvywutbhz.jpg
    And got the new section tacked in. Doing this with an air saw and a cordless sawzall was slow going so that's as far as I got today.
    IMAG1633_zps1628wq8b.jpg
    The right rail is in good shape so once this is welded up I can lift the body off and get the good rear sections grafted to the good front sections and get it boxed. Then channel the body back over it and work on a floor.

Spoggie, reagen, Stock Racer and 11 others like this.
  15. damnfingers

damnfingers

Great to see you back at it!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good to see you back working on it! Bob

17. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Good to see you back on your coupe project!

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sir have f..ing nailed it....

19. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

Wow this car would have been trashed by most people I praise you for saving it.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Nice work so far, looking good!

21. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I spent the weekend out in the garage listening to the Bonneville live feed and working on the coupe off and on. I got the rail welded up and tweaked back into shape.
    IMAG1714_zps6obqtctf.jpg
    Then I jury rigged a set up to remove the body. Working alone can be quite a pain in the ass.
    IMAG1717_zpsaiymjxyg.jpg
    The way the body is sitting it may be easier to do the frame outside. I think doing one rail at a time, cutting it loose from the crossmembers and reattaching it before welding the splice, it should stay square if I brace it and support it on stands. I can put the stands on 2x12s to level it. Maybe this week if the weather holds out.

22. putz

putz
    from wisc.

very impressive !!

23. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

It's been a while since I posted an update. I just started working on it again. I got the good front half of the frame attached to the rear section I repaired. It's stagger seamed and plated on the inside with plug and perimeter welds.
    IMG_20180818_192644.jpg
    I still need to make the sections to connect the x brace at the back, then boxing plates.

flatford39, 1959Nomad, F&J and 6 others like this.
  24. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I also went through and fixed all the pics Photofuckup quit hosting. I was able to restore all but two.

25. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Thankyou.
    Was just thinking of a few folks, you included, on here, wondering how they're getting along, & you pop up. W/some good news. Glad to see you're still keepin' on.
    Doesn't mean anything, but I'm seriously impressed at what you have done, w/what you started out.
    Marcus...

The37Kid and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

That was an undertaking ... well played!

27. xsquiden

xsquiden

Thanks for the update I loved watching you bring this thing back from where it was. I just recently found me a 40 coupe that needs almost everything fixed from about 2"s above the floorpan down. Its just nice seeing someone else working on one that everyone else passes on.

28. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Check out Zibo's build, he had the same issue.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/335174/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York