Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Has Tractors

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by crashfarmer, May 14, 2018.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Yes tractors are very useful for pulling cars around. :) I found my M Farmall could drag cars around better than my WD45 Allis Chalmers even though the Allis is rated at a little more horsepower. The M weighs more so the WD45 will spin out before the M.

My buddy has all the Farmall letter series in spades. :) I remember he was trying to buy my M off me over 20 years ago, told me if I ever wanted to sell it just to let him know. At the time he had 17 M Farmalls alone, he had tractors in all the letter series then and he hasn't let up buying. He is always bringing home another tractor. :) A couple of years ago my neighbor that was a big IH collector sold out most of his collection. My buddy bought 21 tractors at that auction! Since my place is only 2 miles from the sale site we proceeded to bring tractors over to my place. I ended up with 12 of them out by the garage that day. My wife was a little worried that he would leave them here forever but he did a good job of moving them home, I think the last one was here 3 weeks. :) She remembers that pickup he left at our place for about 10 years. :D

I really enjoyed driving the M-D diesel Farmall home from that sale that day. Dad had a 400 diesel when I was a kid that I remember playing on. He traded the 400 off on a new 4020 John Deere in the spring of 1965. I took a video of the trip home. My buddy is the guy being pulled by my brother in the video. My brother is driving the single front wheel M Farmall dragging our friend behind. I also took a video of the twelve tractors at my place that day. It was a fun day! :)

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

B. F. Avery tractors are a fairly rare breed at least they are around here. I believe this is the first one I've seen sell at an auction. It ran good, looked good and was ready to go on parades or in a tractor ride. I was surprised at how little money it brought, I was thinking it would fetch a higher price than it did.

VANDENPLAS and Old wolf like this.
  3. NoSurf

NoSurf

When I lived in Kansas my neighbor borrowed my car trailer to go to Iowa and buy an Avery. I was surprised at how small it was. He ran one on his grandparents farm near Chapman Kansas when he was a kid.

crashfarmer likes this.
  4. I took this photo at a market the other day. My grandson on a very low Ford tractor. 20180807_114353.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

I'll try to remember a pic of the '64 Ford 2000 series ...

Lovin' this board!!! :D

crashfarmer likes this.
  6. Cordless57

Cordless57

Just bought 12 acres and already have a ‘50 Farmall H and a ‘50 John Deere model M. Just trying to discover for myself the answer to the ages old Red vs. Green who-is-best question.

tractorguy likes this.
  7. Were they on the property when you acquired it? If so then good score!:):D

8. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

Here's a few shots of the '64 Ford 2000 series gas model before and after the rebuild. It pulls the bushhog with a whopping 54 hp now! (Yes, those are AutoMeters lol ...) He was hoping to finish the body work over the winter but mannnn those fenders are pricey.

001.JPG 015.JPG 026.JPG 001.JPG 004.JPG

9. ^^I always hated breaking them in half, but that is the only way to do some work on them.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  10. CudaChick1968

CudaChick1968

We ran out of buckets :D ... Good God there's a lotta fluids in there.

tractorguy likes this.

11. Yes there is, especially with a wet clutch and brakes.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  12. oldcars.acadia

oldcars.acadia

Just started to disassemble and freshen up this 1960 Ford 841 with Elenco 4 wheel drive. Have had it a few years and use it around the garage. No farming as my thumb is greasy, NOT green !! IMG_3677.JPG IMG_3675.JPG

13. tractorguy

tractorguy

That Elenco fwd is really neat.....and rare.....be nice to it.....I'm sure there are not a lot of replacement parts available.

14. Cordless57

Cordless57

Nope. Bought both. So far the Farmall with the loader has proven the most useful. Just need to brush up my skills replacing hydraulic system seals.

15. 32Dan

32Dan
    from Chino, CA

I posted earlier I have a 1941 9N, here is the picture. Upgraded to 12v, runs like a clock.[​IMG]

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am suprised I do not have a tractor,really do not need anything else to keep running but who knows I might get one some day.

17. Yes I have Tractors too. I have at least one of all the letter series except at present I don't have a H. But I have 5 running M's and a parts M. I also have a 300 utility, a 350 row crop gas and a 350 row crop diesel. one BF Avery. two VAC Case. A 1962 JD 2010 diesel wheel with the front loader and backhoe. My most receint purchase is a 301A JD with a mid mount sickle bar mower. Its a 3 cyl gas. I have two TD14A international bulldozers. A 40 D4 7JCat a 49 D47U Cat. and a HG 6 Cletrack all are diesel. I just bought a Midland Garden Tractor. Its a walking tractor with front mount sickle bar mower. I use my tractors to grow crops and bale hay. Picture is of M that I bought at a auction at Thayer mo. over a year ago. Brought it home behing my 66 GMC 1/2 ton. Im in the process of installing a wide front end and doing away with the front pedestal and running a live hyd pump from the front of the crankshaft. You can fill the rear tires with water and add more wheel weights and better handle a front loader. farmall m 147.JPG

crashfarmer likes this.
  18. My dad farmed with H Farmalls I have owned H farmalls in the past. They are tough and dependable. But just a tad too light and greatly underpowered. They sell for more dollars than a M. So I sold mine and bought M's. If your working it hard (stuff like plowing) a M will perform the same task using less fuel than a H. I much prefer a M. I have a 350 gas. And its to me just a H in a fancy dress. I plan to sell it.

19. Ive got one of them. They have a flathead 4 cyl Hercules engine. Mine cost me $12.50 at a farm auction 50 years ago. the engine was seized. It was the first stuck engine that I successfully broke free and got running. Pretty good tractor for raking hay. Now the paint on a Avery is called Tartar Red. A guy named Joe Balion Painted a car with it and called it Candy Apple Red.

20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I'm not really a tractor fan but they do catch my eye now and then. I live in what used to be
    considered a farming community. There are a few around here that are now just used as
    yard art.

M 20.JPG

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  21. Mr.Norton

Mr.Norton
    from Sweden

A friend of mine is a collector of old tractors, some of them where built locally during the 40s based on trucks and cars, Hank 20180829_180130.jpeg 20180829_180400.jpeg 20180829_180354.jpeg 20180829_180142.jpeg 20180829_175409.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A520F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

This belongs to a local fellow and still in use. We're always glad when peach season comes
    along. His are the best.

Farm & Country 012.JPG Farm & Country 013.JPG

MO54Frank and tractorguy like this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

OK.
    If you are reading this forum you are likely a hot rod fan and a tractor fan. Then you need to know about my friend Marv Baumann. Check out his collection of 8Ns. All built by Marv.
    8N w/ Ford V8? Got it.
    8N w/ Chev V8? Got it.
    8N w/ Mopar V8? Got it.
    8N w four transmissions in series? Got it.
    8N w/ jet engine? Got it.
    8N w/ Honda Valkyrie flat six? Got that too. And more:

http://marvinbaumann.com/

24. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. good eve fellas,

i'd like you to place a little prayer on your pillow for my dearest buddy Martin (Eisenmann on H.A.M.B. and here on this thread for he's a tractor AND hotrodguy), he and his son Max are heart and soul, as you can see in his posts. At the moment he is getting a long and for sure not so easy radiotherapy because of esophageal cancer.
    Be so kind and press your thumbs for him. He is one of my best mates.
    Some of the north european Hambers may have met him on the OSW or in Denmark at the RMF. Just a fine guy and definately more than worth to talk about to the holy Chief.

Carsten

junk yard kid and Boneyard51 like this.
  26. mchook

mchook
    from upstate NY

Here's our "tractor" it was built in the 1970s by my father. It was an old 1933 Ford school bus with all but the floor removed & was used to haul hay. My father bought it with a bad engine so he put an old Merc engine in it that he got from the junk pile, removed the floor, shortened it up & here we have it our poor mans tractor. When I was a kid we used it to skid logs & used it around the junkyard. In the 1990s it was sold & sat unused for over 15 years until we got it back, dad changed one water pump, the motor mounts, cleaned the points & it was alive once again. We've used it ever since, something that is always dependable & still used daily. model-aa-005.jpg

27. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Will do.

Bones

40two likes this.
  28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a John Deere 1020 tractor. It is a '65 so no picture. I've had it 15 years and it has always started and run well. I don't use it a lot but the JD 37 loader comes in handy. The littler grand kids think I'm a farmer.

Well, 5 acres is a really big yard or a pretty small farm!

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

FF7245B1-8846-4D21-A6C0-3638322C99B2.jpeg
    Been moving snow a bit with my Ford 9n. Starts right up...even at -34* windchill!

VANDENPLAS and NoSurf like this.
  30. I started driving a tractor in 1958 . I was 7 years old on October 17 that year. The picture is me driving a 1937 JD model B the picture was taken around the 4th of july. Randy driving tractor 1958.jpeg

VANDENPLAS, Pufff, TagMan and 4 others like this.