Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical unknown manifold and carbs???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by JMVEAL, Aug 30, 2018.

1. JMVEAL

JMVEAL

I just picked up this Edmunds manifold with the odd looking Rochester carbs on it.I'm wondering if anyone out there recognizes what this manifold fits and what the carbs are from?....Thanks so much,J

Attached Files:

j-jock, Stogy, catdad49 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Wowsers! That's not some kind of a CNG set-up, is it?

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe early Olds. They had carburetors similar to yours.

Stogy, Hnstray and 208custom like this.
  4. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

I would agree with above

Hnstray likes this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

If I had to gamble a nickel, I'd put it on the olds 303...

Stogy, Deuces and Hnstray like this.
  6. 208custom

208custom

Looks Like Olds is right. I found this image and info on the Obrien Tuckers web site

51b8463bafdeafc421efb5dbc05a523a.jpg
    "Air Cleaner Edmunds Back Draft originally designed for use on an Olds 2 x 2 manifold using the 1949-1950 Rochester AA "back draft carburetor. They have a 2 5/8" carb neck opening and can be used on any carburetor with a 2 5/8" carb neck. They attach with two stainless steel set screws. Price is for one polished air cleaner with a lifetime cotton gauze element hidden behind a layer of sreen and wire mesh to retain the original look while providing full air filtration."

Pretty neat. I wonder what the performance of those carbs is like?

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Interesting that the water neck is blocked off in both intakes.

54vicky likes this.
  8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Can anyone advise what this symbol means, other than it's a foundry logo?

[​IMG]

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That logo resembles the coat-of-arms of King Farouk, who gained notoriety for a short time in the early '50s, for his patronage of the 'Jelke Stable', which was a high-level palace of 'ill repute'.

Performance may have been likened to what the Calif. Kid told Officer 'Vic' in the movie... "65 in ten." ('Course, his observation of Speedo error was also incorrect, as it was inverted. "Your oversize tires make your speedometer read fast...")
    Oversize tires increase vehicle speed, NOT 'speedo'.

Jet96 and Hnstray like this.
  10. Carburetors look like stock '50 Olds units.

11. JMVEAL

JMVEAL

Awesome...the hamb is great. there's always someone who knows.thanks all.

12. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

13. In the possible defense of Officer Square Nuts, maybe he was referring to the "oversize" WIDTH of the tires. :oops: (?)

Interesting intake set up there. A piece of automotive history. Those filters off to the side have got to be a bottleneck, though.

14. carbking

carbking

Oldsmobile used the experimental Rochester type AA in both 1949, and 1950. Thankfully, they were discontinued after 1950. This was Rochester's first attempt to make a carburetor.

Fortunately for the Olds folks, Olds also used Carter type WGD carbs in 1949 and 1950.

Should you opt to ignore the comment in the preceding sentence, you might wish to know that I spent a small fortune to reproduce tooling to make very expensive kits for the type AA ;)

Jon.

15. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Carbking ! This is the first post I've ever seen you dislike a certain carb. What faults did I miss out on ? I must have been lucky - I had half a dozen of them that worked as well as I could ask any carb to do on a stocker … of course, as soon as we found a '52 - '53 parts car, it was gone.

16. carbking

carbking

The gear-driven accelerator pump was not overly reliable, and the technology just wasn't close to the later Rochester G series (2G 2-barrel from about 1956, and 4G 4-barrel from 1952). And the power circuit was driven by a diaphragm. It wasn't overly reliable either.

The Carter used was just the standard type WGD with a laid-over air horn, and an Olds calibration. The Carter had an oval air intake; so an adapter was necessary to use the Rochester air cleaner with the Carter. Of course, Olds supplied the adapter on the factory installations.

Like many other designs of various items, it did work, just not as well as other designs.

Jon.

302GMC and kadillackid like this.
  17. 54vicky

54vicky

sorry to hear obama care no longer covered your meds:D

VANDENPLAS and Fitty Toomuch like this.
  18. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there have you still got the Edmunds early 331 hemi 2x4 manifold? Many thanks Bretto

19. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there I think the Small base Carter WCFB 4 barrel was released sometime in 1952? And I think the Stromberg Aeroquad 4a 4 barrel released in sometime in 1952?, The large base Carter WCFB 4 barrel in 1955, mid 55? Any ifo would be great, Many thanks Brett

20. carbking

carbking

21. In 1960, I ran a 53 Olds in my 34 Ford, and my original engine had the early Rochester 4 barrel. It ran so well, that I put the carb on the new intake manifold when I switched to the 56 heads. My buddies gave me a hard time, because they all thought the only way to performance was to use multiple 2 barrel carbs. I followed the golden rule for carbs, don't screw with them, and that rule served me well.
    I don't remember seeing that particular carb design, but I did recognise the manifold right away.
    Bob

22. rcrbudha

rcrbudha

My buddy gotta speeding ticket in my car, when he borrowed it without my knowledge. He tried to get me to pay the ticket because I had tall tires. He said the cop said I had to pay it.

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Well if the cop said so...

rcrbudha likes this.
  24. 54vicky

54vicky

here we go again

rcrbudha likes this.