Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fits a 46 Oldsmobile Hydramatik to a 51 Pontiac Straight 8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Schrauber Jan, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Schrauber Jan

Schrauber Jan
    from Germany

You can see the question above!
    My 257 Olds is completely rusted andi can't get a set of pistons and rings to rebore the block...

Now i have a offer on a Pontiac 268 in running condition

Would fit the bellhouse and the flexplate with converter to the Pontiac block and crank?

Sent from my HTC 10 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

95 % sure they do not interchange. Each GM division used their own version.

3. As a broke kid I once swapped front transmission housings between Pontiac and Olds and it all bolted up fine. problem is, the transmission I used was no better than the one I took out.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Schrauber Jan

Schrauber Jan
    from Germany

The problem i have is
    I have the original drive train in my Olds but the engine is stuck
    Can't get parts like oversized piston and rings or bearings and stuff
    The Pontiac engine is coming without any tranny parts
    No flywheel or flexplate no Bellhouse no nothing just the engine with Carb and dizzy...

So i would need to bolt on my olds bellhousing flexplate and tranny

5. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Have you checked with Kanter for pistons for your Olds engine? They list them with a "very limited stock" disclaimer. Also a little pricey, but probably cheaper than the Pontiac swap if you have to adapt a transmission. Good luck.
    Farmalldan

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I felt sure Egge Machine would have them, but just spent some time on their website....found hundreds of pistons, many quite obscure, but none for the 257" Olds Big Six......very surprised by that. However, if I needed a set, I would contact them and see what they say about making them for you. Worst they can say is "No"......

Ray

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Another thought....... Have you measured your Oldsmobile engine compartment and the Pontiac Straight Eight to see if you have room for it? That series Olds, Model 76 (and companion Model 88), based on the GM 'A' body, never had a straight eight fitted to it. That body/chassis combination only came with the Six or the 303" V8 (Rocket 88). Oldsmobiles prior to '49 did come with either straight six or straight, but they had been built for that. I think you may find space as much a problem, or more, than adapting the transmission or finding a complete Pontiac Straight 8 transmission setup(or possibly a 6 cyl Pontiac trans may fit the 8 too).

Ray

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  8. Schrauber Jan

Schrauber Jan
    from Germany

I don't have a 76 i own a 1946 model 98 club coupe and it has still the oem Straigt 8

Olds build this model range from 1941 till 1949
    Model 66 / 68
    Model 76 / 78
    And the top end were
    Model 98
    The last digit indicate the cylinders...
    So i won't get any space issues...

9. The short answer is maybe. The early Hydro has a short bolt on bell that I always presumed was used because each make's engines had a different bolt pattern at the back.

Worst case scenario you would need to find the Pontiac bellhousing and flexplate, which could come from any 54-back Pontiac with a Hydramatic. Here in the US that wouldn't be too big of an issue other than it's a ton of labor to take apart, but shipping a set to you in Germany won't be cheap.

If you have to smash the old pistons to get your engine to turn you may want to do it. These don't just pull apart like a later GM auto trans does, and they have more bolts holding the flexplate on the converter.

You also have to consider that if the engine was set up that badly the transmission may not be in very good shape either. Rebuilding them is tough.

It may just be easier to transplant a newer engine and transmission combo into the car.

Hnstray likes this.
  10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

So sorry! I jumped to a conclusion when I saw the 257 cubic inch number and immediately thought of the ‘49/‘50 Big Six Engine, having owned one of them a few years ago. I know the Straight Eight also was 257, but did not even think about that !! As the lawyers say in court “Objection! Counsel is introducing facts not in evidence”........

I tend to agree with the comments in the above post.

Ray

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. Schrauber Jan

Schrauber Jan
    from Germany

12. BJR

BJR

Years ago I had a set of Jahns pistons made for a 1932 Hupmobile straight eight. I don't know if they are even still in business but if they are might be an option. I had them made to accept new style piston rings, so no problems sourcing rings.

Hnstray likes this.