Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rear tire height

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coody, Aug 29, 2018.

1. coody

coody

looking to install 235/70/15 on the rear of my 31 Tudor.On an 8" rim. am about 9.6inches wide. I have a total of 12"s I can play with. 70's are about 28" tall & 75's are close to 29".What would be the best fit up under the fenders? Any suggestions tks!!

2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

3. coody

coody

ford 9" 4 link

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Personally I like 75's

Model A Vette likes this.

5. Sedan wheel wells are deceptive as to width as the body angles outward quite a bit at the top. Best to set a wheel/tire in place to determine what rim will actually fit under the fender and use that info to decide final axle width and rim size.

Last sedan had 235/75 on 5-1/2" rims on a Bronco 9" and we made the inside of the wheel well vertical from the sub-rail up (sorta but not exactly like mini-tubs) to keep the tires inside the fender.

Of course, the modern 235's are kinda short compared to how they used to be; and, while the tire doesn't quite fill the fender, it doesn't look too bad.
    8-30 tire.jpg

6. coody

coody

Rich, so going with a 75, and I did cut the wheel well out to sort of tub it also. My cut is right below the fender bolts.I am hoping the tire isn't going to rub along that area from bumps. is there another way to bolt on the fenders?

7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm also running 235/75 15 on 6" rims and they fill the fenders. Early pictures had reversed rims, changed them to get a little more fender clearance. The rear of the frame is stepped 3" and running a stock transverse spring with a couple of leaves removed.

Attached Files:

8. coody

coody

Gomez; really looks good does fill in the wells. Did you cut the inner fender well out? How is your front end set up? Wheel size?

9. I felt we had plenty of room vertically without changing the fender mounting; it was more about side clearance around the side of the wheel well.

Coupe/roadster wells are straight up, so they don't have the same issues.

10. coody

coody

Rich; I cut out the inner fender well up to the mounting bolts. How did you install back the rear bracket for the fender? That part I had to cut out also but need to put something back. Maybe after the tires are on I could fab something up for it.

11. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Mine is a Sport Coupe and they inner fender well is straight , doesn't come out at the top like a sedan, attached a picture that shows it a little better. The wheel well comes straight up from the subrail on coupes and the sedan is a couple of inches narrower at the top. The front end is 4" dropped axle with split wishbones and a stock spring with a couple of leaves removed. Front wheels are early ford 15 x 4 1/2" pickup wheels with 165R15 tires mounted to 40 ford brakes. Car is going to be flathead powered with early Ford closed drivetrain.

Attached Files:

• sp7.jpg
      sp7.jpg
      File size:
      198.7 KB
      Views:
    Rickthiel60 likes this.
  12. coody

coody

man looks good! mine is also a 4" drop axle,4 bar trying to decide on tire/wheel size. Not the easiest thing to do.I like the color you painted it! got it set up right!

13. The frame was Z'd; but the outer side of the subrail was retained and integrated into new taller sides, the original mounting holes for the rear fender brace remained in the same place.

The vertical body post (unmodified in this picture) also had to be reshaped to allow the wheel wells to be reshaped. This was a '29; '30-'31 may be different.
    side view.jpg