Register now to get rid of these ads!

'39 Ford Transmission Prices?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockfish, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Topics to come: Lincoln and post-'48 versions, Truck stuff. Blue printing for drag use! Synchro on all three for roadracing! Howcome people in the fifties ran these things into the 9's while your car blew three of them backing out of the garage...What ancient paper there is on these things...perhaps a rebuild, but that really must have photos somehow.

trad27 likes this.
  2. Hey Bruce --- great job, tons of detail and thanks for all your TIME! You should create a "Bruce's Guide to Early Ford Trannys" . . . all in a single document with pictures and then sell it to anybody who wants to part with $10 - $25 and needs to save hundreds$$$ due to the knowledge.

What do you say boys . . . anybody else willing to pay for Bruce's head?

Dale

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yeah! Off with his head!:eek: :D

What we need is one of those plug-in things like in the Matrix - stick it in his head & connect to a computer!:D

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Maybe you could work out a package deal with Motorbooks so it came bundled with the Bishop/Tardel book. Although most of us already have the B-T book probably...

5. Good idea :D There is so much good information that I'd love to capture and publish . . . as so many people could be helped by it. Just never enough time and $$$ to do it all. :cool: I'm just getting ready to start of my blown flathead build-up --- plan on taking a ton of digital pictures and share the whole experience with the group.

Take er' easy . . .

6. Any updates @Bruce Lancaster? I would love to get some more info on some detailed build ups. Thanks for all you've shared already!

trad27 likes this.
  7. trad27

trad27

Your definitely a wealth of knowledge. Bttt, would live to hear more

8. Mac VP

Mac VP

It's funny that this old thread has popped up again. I looked at the original date (February 2006) and realized that this was the discussion that motivated me to write my transmission repair book. The very first printing of The Ins and Outs of Early Ford Transmissions was May of 2006. I recall worrying a bit that I would sell the 300 copies I had printed. This first run sold out quickly, and there have been thousands since then. Thanks to all who have purchased a copy!

rexrogers, Dannerr, bchrismer and 5 others like this.
  9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Updates...the drag racing build has been uploaded to the HAMB recently. The full synchro conversion not so... it is in the issue of HONK that has a dog with a Yoyo on the cover. Really.
    It is not really adequate as a how-to, as the author planned to sell instruction...which I don't think ever happened.
    I think a good machinist/welder could figure it all out from the article with LOTS of careful measuring and head-splitting thought.
    I'm not sure if I covered thrust washers...there are several variations that must match the clusters. Van Pelt's book will help, but as with all old junk do not throw any bits away so you can figure out what you need!
    Also...the Canadians invented some of their own washers!
    Quite aside from transmissions built from mixed parts, the years noted above are not necessarily the whole truth. I've seen things like an original properly serialed '35 with the earlier case...not a problem for Ford because most '35's used the smallest clutch.

10. GuyW

GuyW

Can a V8 open driveline trans parts be added to B trans??

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

First...why? Early Ford drivetrain makes sense, gives you a proper suspension setup as well as gearing. Open it and your suspension has to be replaced with a most likely inferior setup, retaining a weak and expensive trans...
    But yes, the job is same as with '32 v8. To figgerout how much work it'll be, first assemble the cluster gear and its shaft in there just as a fitting experiment. If it can be fully installed and rotated without dragging front gear on the trans floor life will be pretty easy. If not, which is likely, you will need to grind a bit on the forward part of the floor until you can get the cluster in.
    Once cluster clears, you need to assemble trans a bit out of order. Leave cluster and all its bits lying on the floor down there. Put some sort of smaller rod temporarily through to keep all washers and innards near home, and put a loop of string around it to help lift. Assemble and install upper gear train, leaving front bearing loose so you can move the input around and jiggle it and swear at it. This was sort of the procedure on 25 and 26 tooth Lincolns because the lower gear was so big...it is harder here because of top shift hole access.
    Once input gear is behind lower cog you can do whatever it takes to get cluster hoisted up and mounted and all the input stuff happy...I'd actually have to do this to come up with best order of thrashing in real time, but do whatever gets the cluster home and the input engaged. I don't think the library will allow a B case and a bushel of gears in the door to where the computer is!

Dannerr and GuyW like this.
  12. tractorguy

tractorguy

Just had to respond.......I've had a 39 trans for approx 10 yrs. waiting for me to actually do my 28 roadster build. Finally had to accept reality.....not gonna happen at age 72. I had an Offy adaptor also saved for my traditional smallblock install. Had a buyer coming for the adaptor......really, really looking for a 39 trans.....I mentioned I was ready to give up and sell mine.
    We were both looking for all the info we could find to determine what I really had.....we both spent a week researching....buyer was a really nice guy and I wanted to be sure what I was selling/what he was buying.

He showed up early one morning.....I took out all my notes from talking to trusted friends......he pulls out the entire Vanpelt book !!!! In all his technical researching, he found the book online and it was delivered the day before he came to pick up the adaptor......trans sold.....happy buyer and seller !!!

13. Yeti Man

Yeti Man
    from NorthTexas

This is great stuff! I’m just starting to hunt for parts to do an AV8 conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. Thanks, Bruce and Mac!

I talked to Mac about a week and a half ago, when I ordered his transmission rebuild book. I called back yesterday and I spoke to his wife, to order gaskets and the brass synchronizer rings for my transplant of goodies from a sideloader into a toploader case.

15. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Report on how it goes and post up some pics if you can. I will be doing the same in the next month or so and with an adapter from clings will be bolting up behind a hopped up banger. Gotta order me the Van Pelt book this weekend.

Dannerr likes this.