Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 1st Bonneville for Me . . .

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stan Back, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Hope this doesn't upset too many. After all, it was in nineteen-seventy-two. But the cars would pass for earlier.

My friend Phil Stevenson's wife had worn out their 55 Chevy wagon. He was a big early Cadillac V-8 fan. He got a 390 for fixing somebody's refrigerator. He plopped it in the wagon with the great Jet-Away transmission. He drove it at Fontana and El Mirage a few times, but decided he wanted to go to Bonneville.

He needed to upgrade it. Phil got a 6-pot manifold for $20 after convincing the seller that it wasn't for a Chrysler, but a Cadillac – and he was the only known person that would buy it. I furnished my wastebasket of 12 to 14 "97" carbs. He rebuilt 4 of them, blocked off the center ones and drove it to Bonneville. He wanted to go 150, ended up going 149 and change if I remember. Back then they had an award for the fastest car driven there, and he won it. It's since been discontinued. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess driving it from outside Wendover would "qualify".

Phil's Wagon copy.jpg

The only change from the driven set-up was changing the back wheels to 18" Halibrands. One had a Bonneville tire on it, one had Indy tire on it, or so I was told. One was 3/4" taller than the other. Both were showing cords, but were stamped "Good for 180 MPH".

Years later I ended up with the Halibrands.

18" Hlaibrand.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Our friends from San Bernardino/Highland were there with their roadster. Notice the hood logo . . .

amrhein 001 copy 2.jpg

amrhein2 copy 2.jpg

3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool! Thanks for posting!

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Cool, great photos

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for sharing

6. catdad49

catdad49

Mr. Zig Zag at Bonneville! Great story and pics.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Stan what happened to the roadster?
    Tell me tomorrow at the donut run

kidcampbell71 likes this.