Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures 1936 Ford Front Sheet Metal Alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toad611, Aug 29, 2018.

1. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Working out some bugs on a just purchased 36 coupe. What is the best way to align the Front Sheet Metal (two piece hood, hood sides, grill , head light pieces, fenders)? Not sure where to start, not looking for perfect but I know it could be much better.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. I just takes a lot of time and you have to start somewhere, work with the hood and grille shell and you may need to adjust the rods holding the radiator in place, you may have to raise or lower the radiator depending on the gaps where the hood meets the cowl and radiator,

All of these cars are a PITA to get close, a nightmare to get perfect, if that exist!.

We spent a entire Saturday just lining up a hood on a '34 Chevrolet and the radiator was moved up & sideways to get the hood to fit, not to mention we had to trim the hood just a bit. HRP

toad611 likes this.
  3. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Wasn’t sure weather to start from the top or the bottom. My Front fenders don’t line up with the body the same left side compared to right? So I know that will throw every thing else off. I thought the hood would be last.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Loosen everything up and the align the hood to the body; which is where I'd start.

toad611 likes this.

5. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might take a tape measure and check the frame for squareness. If the frame is square, then check and see if the body has slid on the mounts. All of these things could affect your front end alignment.

toad611 and Hnstray like this.
  6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

If the sheetmetal is off of the car, i like to bolt it all together minus the hood then put the whole clip on at once. The most common misalignment areas are the headlight stands, radiator mounts, and the radiator rods. Once i could not get things close and discovered one headlight stand was tweaked.

toad611 likes this.