Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 26 COOP's Trip to the Salt....High Sodium Diet IV

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Irishjr, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might need to order a print of that one for the office wall!

2. Holy crap, Jim. Thought about your trip today. Got out for a run on the roads out this way. Put about 100 miles on the p/u with the A/C on, no do-rags. We were wore out & groaned a lot getting out when back in the garage. Makes me ache thinking of your marathon. Ride on.

3. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

man hell of a trip for sure.... keep driving em.... Cool little T also, not particularly a T fan due to them being too small for me but that one looks beautiful. One day I will make that trip to the salt for that "high sodium diet" Thanks for the motivation!

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. rjgideon

rjgideon

Jim,

Did you experience any turning radius issues with that '40 axle and split wishbone? Just curious as I have a very similar setup on my '27 roadster. I'm a ways from getting it out on the road, so just wanted to hear your experience.

I enjoyed the trip, glad that you guys made it there and back safely.

Robert

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. I ended up with a longer turning radius than on 33 COOP. Both have 112.5" wheelbases, but there are no wishbones on the '33 and I built the headers to clear the tires. On 26 COOP, I had to add wheel stops when the drag link on one side and the wishbone on the other were getting scrubbed by the tires. I used a piece of tubing welded to the nut on the kingpin locking pin that I shaped to provide the non-scrubbing clearance.

20180827_154500.jpg Wheel Stop.jpg

I sometimes have to make two tries at making a tight turn, but at least I have a clear view of the tire.;);)

Then again, if you think the long turning radius on 26 COOP is undesirable, you oughta drive '53 COOP. The stock Studie steering is waaaay long.:mad::mad:

Fix that on the next project.

6. Roadsir

Roadsir

Awesome trip......Thanks for sharing the adventure!

loudbang likes this.
  7. and one for the garage, and one for the living room, and one for the kitchen....:);):D

loudbang, brEad, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wow! I’m late to the party again! Great read about a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

loudbang likes this.
  9. August 29

Last post......

Just thought I'd show you the finishing touches. Finished the removal of the rubber floor covering for use at the Salt. It did its job admirably. Made and installed the carpeting and matching floor mats. Sorry, 4Runner, had to have the backing with the nibs from your old floor mats. I promise you I will get replacements.

20180829_142348.jpg
    20180829_142415.jpg

Anybody want to help me chop 53 COOP? Not now, but soon!:confused::confused:

For now, I will just have fun with 26 COOP and drink lots of water to flush out all that salt from my doctor-prescribed "High Sodium Diet"......

Jim Ireland, AKA Irish Jr.

Stogy, lothiandon1940, brEad and 6 others like this.
  10. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Masterful job! Car looks great and thanks again for the ride!

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  11. Guess Judy Irish Jr's vacation is over now too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  12. Just read the entire thread - loved it! Me and a couple friends met you at the Sinclair station/truck stop at the salt flats entrance. You guys sure know how to have fun! We were with the crew of the XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special and hope to run into you again sometime when we have more time to talk ....

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  13. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Jim, just read the entire thread and am so impressed with your willingness for adventure. Thank you so much for sharing! It was great!!!!! Attitude is everything.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

You rock Jim!
    I enjoyed having you as my private driver in Wildwood, and I had a blast following you on this journey! Glad you made it back and fort in one piece! HOLD FAST ;)

Stogy, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Well, folks, Jim Siler, the little brown rat, has passed to the skinny dippin' pond in the sky. My buddy since 1972 died on December 1, 2023 at the age of 75. I'll really miss him.

Later,

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condolences to you Irish, the Siler family and friends in Jim's passing. Yeah that's a lengthy friendship for sure...may he rest in peace...

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. Speccie

Speccie

Sorry to hear about your loss.

19. My condolences, may the music play on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023
  20. My condolences to Jim’s family - RIP

21. Sorry Jim for your loss. RIP

22. Sorry for your loss of a great car buddy friend.

I have a good friend who lives in Marion, OH. I've visited there in my rod more than once. I'm not familiar with Waldo, but will check it out the next time I'm over that way.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2023