Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you get parts for these?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dpg81, Aug 27, 2018.

1. dpg81

dpg81

Hi I'm a new guy about to buy my first hot rod? I've been looking at a 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak. Can you get replacement parts in the USA for these, window rubbers and other bits for a start or are the rubber easy enough to make up yourself. I'm based in the uk so if you guys find them hard to get I will find them impossible! I've attached a couple of pics to see what you think any advice great fully received. IMG-20180826-WA0055.jpeg IMG-20180826-WA0028.jpeg

Sent from my STF-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

see what steele rubber offers, I expect you can find almost everything for it, since that appears to be the same basic body as the Chevrolet.

3. 52HardTop

52HardTop

There is a manufacturer here called Steel Rubber. They make a lot of replacement rubber parts for a lot of cars. The Chevy rubber should be the same for the Pontiac I would bet. I would get that car and worry about the small stuff later! that's a nice coupe.
    https://www.steelerubber.com/

4. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Sweet car!!!

5. verde742

verde742

CHEVS OF THE FORTIES, in Washington State... would be another source..

49ratfink likes this.
  6. From the beltline up it's the same as Chevy, in fact my Fleetline had a Pontiac rear window and half a windshield in it I removed from a Pontiac. Door seals, trunk seal will also be the same. The Pontiac has a longer front clip and the entire frame and driveline will be different - unless it's a Canadian built car, in which case the car could have the same frame and mechanical as a Chevrolet also. Many export cars to other nations were based on the Canadian models.

Which I suspect may be the case looking at the taillights on your car, those are Chevy lights, a US model Pontiac has round lights in the ends of the fender tips. Bumpers look more like Chevy also.

I'm not full up on the 49-54 Canada/Export models, there's more of a mix of components there, I think it's also possible to be all Chevy underneath save a Pontiac flathead six.

loudbang, Hnstray and FrankenRodz like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that has to be a rare model. a low end Pontiac with no chrome around the windows. not sure what Pontiac called them but Chevrolet that would be a "Special" rather than deluxe. can't really see but it should have rubber gravel shields on the rear fenders.

loudbang likes this.
  8. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The taillights and general overall visage make me believe that's a re-trimmed Chevrolet, which solves a lot of problems parts-wise. Does it have a flathead or overhead valve engine?

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

Looks Canadian to me. If it has a torque tube, it's a rebadged Chev.

10. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I would try Soft Seal for rubber parts, I've been lucky with them.

11. If it’s a canadaian Pontiac it’s the same as a Chevy
    Cool car

12. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

There are many Vendors for parts: National Chevy Assoc., The Filling Station, are my 2-favorites.
    As stated, a lot of parts are shared with the Chevrolet.

13. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

It may have a Pontiac motor, the tail pipe is on the wrong side for a Chevy motor.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 52HardTop

52HardTop

You know RustyNewYorker and 50 Customcoupe, you guys have good eyes and saw those details. I totally missed the tail lights and the rear bumper. Same goes with the tail pipe. Curious to know what is under the hood. Did Pontiac have a flat six or eight? It sure is a nice car.

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Just checked my book "Canadian Cars, 1946-1948" by R. Perry Zavitz. These cars use the Pontiac flathead six, Chevy tailights, and Pontiac dashboard.

16. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Look at the ID plate under the hood, if it says made in Canada or Oshawa Ontario there is your answer.

Camera angles can be tricky but it looks like a Canadian Pontiac Pathfinder to me. The difference is in the wheelbase, Canadian 115" American 120". A tape measure will soon tell you which you have.

The Pontiac flathead six was a 239 cu in job, same displacement as the flathead Ford V8. It gave pretty decent performance in the light Chev body. You might want to get it running in stock form and see how you like it. I believe parts are still available in the US, maybe some Pontiac fans can enlighten us.

One unusual feature was an oil filter built onto the oil pump. It was supposed to be cleaned out at engine overhaul time. It might be a good idea to take the oil pan off and clean it out, that is, if the engine is in good shape.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I used Steele fir all the rubber on my Oldsmobile convertible they specialize in rubber products only and have a complete line for Pontiacs as well as other non Ford makes

18. Where are you? HRP

19. Nice find, got to be a rare site over in UK. Looks pretty good condition, seen a lot worse people have started with.

20. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

21. dpg81

dpg81

I haven't viewed the car yet but it is being sold as a Canadian pontiac, it is running a flat 6 from what I can see. Not sure about torque tube. But all this has made me feel much better about getting it. It is a rare sight here in the UK.

Sent from my STF-L09 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you are thinking of building a hot rod might better pass on that car. But if you want to keep it stock and enjoy driving, it might be just the thing. Not too big or unwieldy for British roads, decent performance in stock form, not impossible to get parts for. A rather unusual model too, I live in Canada and don't recall ever seeing one of those in coupe form.

There is practically no speed equipment available for it. If you wanted to build it into a hot rod you would have to make most parts yourself. You would be better off with a Ford, or with a later model car that comes with an OHV V8. The Pontiac in good shape, will take you anywhere you want to go reliably as long as you don't ask it to go over 60MPH for long periods.

23. As mentioned the Canadian Pontiacs were Chev based with the Chev body shell, Chev chassis, suspension & steering with the Pontiac 6 and Pontiac front clip.........not sure about the gearbox, diff & brakes tho'..........check Chev vendors for the Chev rubber bits and Poncho vendors for the Poncho engine & chrome bits............andyd

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It's a bit of a hodge podge with some Chevrolet bits, some Pontiac bits and some bits unique to the Canadian Pontiac. As I said, I live in Canada and I wouldn't know where to get the unique Canadian bits.

25. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you are into rodding and not restoring and not using the original drivetrain, I would say that for the most part, treat it as if it were a Chevy. Here's some shots from Tex Smith's Custom Car Magazine from Nov/ Dec 1989 of Nertz's '53 Pontiac. After customizing, if not for the dash - who would know it was a Pontiac? I'm a Canadian about to embark upon doing a '34 Austin Ruby which I know absolutely nothing about. Just the reverse of your situation. What could possibly go wrong? Scan-180828-0001.jpg

26. Presumably all of the bolt on stuff sold for Chevrolet will work on this car, and if it has an open drive then the springs in the rear can be used as-is.