Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The 2018 H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Geri

Geri

meanwhile I'll post this- 1961-Lodi California- Warren Welsh in this very short rear engine car called the shoehorn -for obvious reason his feet were about 4" behind the front axle in a northern Cal race for class B/OG (B open gas")had Warren racing against the Glass Slipper owned by Ed & Roy Cortopassi and Doug Butler from Sacramento for the $$-- shoehorn won. (dammit) both were blown SBC cars.the glass slipper was/is my all time favorite FED, Ed allowed us stupid kids to watch them work on the car in his home garage and even answer our questions. in this picture you can just see the shoehorn sitting behind them. check willys coupe from Sacramento owned by Darrell Redfern who did all his engine work specializing in head work how good was his work? this willys was street driven, 302 CID 3 carbs and 4 speed- ran low 11's at 120, for 1961 that was mind bending GlassSlipperKingdon[1web].jpg

file000.jpg

Attached Files:

Rick28 and Rolleiflex like this.
  2. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for putting the link james I am just too dumb to figure it out lol.

Geri I get it and you couldn't have made anyone any happier that day very few actually understand that feeling of excitement adrenaline and downright joy of being in the seat of a running fueler and yes you are correct you don't look over the blower you look around it even in my car it's that way and now that I'm putting a 6-71 and a tall 4-port on mine it really feels like yours lol. Thanks for Sharing your pics and stories

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Geri

Geri

Rick28, Butch M and Tater Bug like this.
  4. Everybody needs to experience this!

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs, SamIyam, Rick28 and 4 others like this.
  5. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Yes Kerry that is awesome my wheelie was much larger but not near as fast as yours lol

[​IMG]

Countn'Carbs, Rick28, Butch M and 2 others like this.
  6. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Nick32vic and cactus1 like this.
  7. Yes sir!

Nick32vic and cactus1 like this.
  8. Philroy

Philroy

You know @Ryan, it’s been a long time since anyone described anything I’ve done as “sprinting” haha! Big thanks to you and everyone at the Jalopy Journal for all you do to bring this awesome event together!!! @MoKanMan, thanks again as always for providing all us gear heads with such a fantastic facility to congregate at! Many thanks to all of you for keeping this tradition going. We have me the most fantastic people there every year, and to any H.A.M.B.-ers who have never been there, rent a Prius and drive there! I promise you won’t want to miss it again!

Having been both a spectator and a participant, you miss a lot of the show from the drivers seat. We first came in 2011 for the cars, but we’ve been back for 7 more years now because of the people. They say there’s an a**hole in every crowd, so it must be me cuz I haven’t met one there yet!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Butch M and porkshop like this.
  9. Geri

Geri

has there been a posting of pictures from HAMB 2018 MoKan?
    if so -I can't find it. I want to see all the cars I didn't. someone said it isn't about the car's its the people and that is correct -especially to people my age ,(77). renewing old friendships ,making new ones and telling a lot of lies. only the photographic evidence keeps us honest the real unsung hero's of drag racing or any sport are the photographers, without them this is all just rumors and stories, and dare I say outright lies? (yes). anyway my thanks again to those who helped me get the car out and back in the box, I was a bit tipsy from the heat and really don't remember the drive home. getting old ain't for sissies.
    my motto "Build it not billet ".

10. Geri

Geri

thought I'd send some "gut shots" of Nitro Therapy. there are many- to many with cackle cars who believe any part that will fit and/or make it run are good enough,I do not agree with that train of thought.I put the best parts I could get in the engine/clutch etc as if it were going to be raced .Venolia rods and pistons, NEW BDS nitro Dow coated blower,I went through 5 used blowers before I woke up the the fact they suck. can't be trusted and need to be brought back to race standards anyway. rules for these care mandate a means of putting the car in neutral- some drivers sit in their cars holding the clutch in, not a good idea. some have made their own version of a neutral box, those disengage at the rear end coupler so- everything in the drive line is spinning clear back to the rear end,again for me not safe. Lenco came out with this perfect answer, using a a modified reverser that disengages the drive line at the bell housing, when all is said and done cheapest and best way out. many use a stock old Ford clutch for cackle because they fit- those break, issues arise soon thereafter. I opted for a near new Crower 10.7 3 disc clutch, they cost a fortune -but, you need never worry about clutch issues. because of a short bell housing I had to eliminate on clutch disc and floater ,easily done and that gave me spare parts I hope I'll never need. anyway- that's the work end of what makes it go boom, hopefully not out the pan.

nitro therapy business end.jpg nitro therapy valves.jpg nitrotherapyclutch.jpg

Countn'Carbs, Butch M and saltflats like this.
  11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

On friday evening we were at the track and talked to some younger guys with a lot of high tech camera stuff. They said they were doing a documentary on the weekend. We discussed the Traditional thing and talked about the crowd getting older. If anyone knows or sees this film please let me know ,would like to see how it turned out .

12. Geri

Geri

very welcome ,lets do some nitro ..

13. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

J.Ukrop, Roadsir, Doctorterry and 2 others like this.
  14. Geri

Geri

I've learned once the project is complete- its like it was always done. I've stopped making due dates or worrying about stressful thing's, perhaps it is my age or really good meds, not sure which.

15. Geri

Geri

my mission is only to share what I have with everyone. I am not one of the "look but don't touch" crowd, if it can be hurt by someone sitting in it, the fault is mine- should have made it better. most will never have the option to sit in a blown fuel FED ,or any FED for that matter, I welcome those with desire to do so, especially kids, that includes kids over 50. thinking of trying the Hemi in my '64 Dodge. dodge64- 3.jpg

porkshop likes this.
  16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I have an altered wheelbase 64 dodge race car I'm building feel free to drop the hemi off at my house and I'll put it in mine as I have to build motor mounts anyway lol I would hate for you to butcher that fine looking 64 dodge lol.

17. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Great news Ryan. Its always our favorite summer event so we'll be there again an again an again as long as the people keep showing up and you keep putting up with us. Gary PS thanks for accommodating us with our truck this year.

18. Geri

Geri

me too. I haven't seen the picture history of HAMB 2018/Mokan yet ,perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place?

19. Geri

Geri

I make "butcher" an artform. welder's credo --cut to shape,beat to fit,paint to match.

20. Geri

Geri

work on project '64 continues -slow for lack of$$, original ramcharger exhaust manifold's are on- love them I do. I have to make temp short exhaust pipe connectors from manifold to tailpipe as the car still has the 383 in it. when the 426 is in it I will make replica factory exhaust. they wil dodge engie1.jpg l be exactly-similar...

Roothawg likes this.